It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Board Decides Valedictorian Title Too Competitive

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good job Xuenchen for finding the far right articles to stir up the far right people here. Fox News would love to hire you. Todd Starnes has a cushy job there.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Not everyone is going to get their at the same time or the same route.

Some of them won't get there at all, because they're not keeping pace with their peers.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

It's not a question of what is or is not a legitimate course for someone to take in terms of your future. Not everyone is headed to college and not everyone needs to be or should be.

However, sewing is not as academically demanding as those other courses, and neither is playing mother to an egg.

The guys who built the house in my senior class were also doing legitimate work, but it also was not calculus. They were not scholars and they are not going on to college but into the trades. The house is their final crowning glory.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Some of them won't get there at all, because they're not keeping pace with their peers.

Please refer to Ketsuko's posts.

She is completely correct on this issue.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Please refer to Ketsuko's posts.

She is completely correct on this issue.

She invariably hits the proverbial nail on the head.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I am not exactly sure at this point I need argue my point of view anymore, I am always open to new information its just that when I read things like this, it is very unsettling for me because I do not believe that best interests for the students are always the first priorities to the administrators and the people with the money. I can respect if you do not agree with my view and we can still drink beer together =D

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Idk how they can do this to kids-the adult world is Helluva competitive,the job market..its like they're actively trying to leave schoolkids unprepared for the reality of adult life.Bizarre-and disturbing.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

But if it is true,does it Matter that the article comes from a right-leaning publication?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
My take on the whole "everyone's a winner for just pitching up" mentality in schools in America is that it is doing the children a Huge disfavour.It is removing incentive to excel,to push yourself and build character-and leaves children woefully unprepared for adult life and the job market.It deprives them of the opportunity to learn tenacity,self discipline and working towards a goal.Also of the satisfaction of attaining a winning place they worked hard for.Just awful,imo.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It isn't that I disagree with you. More that I disagree with routing all of those courses under the umbrella of valedictorian and salutatorian.

There are several different routes a high school uses to prepare students for life after high school, and there are different ways a kid can excel and be number one. Sadly in society, the only two anyone ever seems to talk about are academics and athletics, but that's a societal issue more than anything else. We should be placing value on the best kid in the trade disciplines and on the kids who excel in the arts as much the others.

I think it does a disservice to both the kids who are studying for the trades and to the kids who are studying for academic pursuits post high school to lump everyone in to the valedictorian and salutatorian tracks.

I mean, think about it. Would you be arguing this with me if instead of kids in the trade track classes we were talking about kids in more athletic track classes? And yet being good with your body is a different kind of talent a person can excel at and be arguably just as competent with his body as a kid can be good with his hands and another can be good with his mind.

In fact, if the kids in the valedictorian race at my school had any complaints, it was that the gym class held them back as the boys gym teacher tended to have zero patience for nerdy kids with little physical ability.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

They are sheltered and have not learned how to deal with the world outside their little boxes that have been created for them.
From my perspective this is how you're coming off. Your don't seem to understand the life is a competition and your fear of it suggests you're living in a box.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Good job Xuenchen for finding the far right articles to stir up the far right people here. Fox News would love to hire you. Todd Starnes has a cushy job there.

LOL

Looks like you are having difficulties finding a rebuttal source.

You should seriously try to be more original.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

LOL

Looks like you are having difficulties finding a rebuttal source.

You should seriously try to be more original.

Who cares anymore I am painting, beer so Brotherman is happy

Disgusting social issues being wiped from memory bank in 3...2...
ERROR
ERROR
ERROR
----------------------------------TERMINAL ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE----------------

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

They are sheltered and have not learned how to deal with the world outside their little boxes that have been created for them.
From my perspective this is how you're coming off. Your don't seem to understand the life is a competition and your fear of it suggests you're living in a box.

Life is a competition, and it's not wrong to have competitions. However, can you objectively measure a competition between kids who have strong areas of competency in differing disciplines?

Which is more valuable and should be ranked higher: the kid who takes calculus and gets and A or the kid who takes shop class and gets an A? Each is valuable in its own sphere in the world and each is equally necessary, but are they directly comparable? Should they be measured against each other in the same competition?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

The far right sites tend to spin things.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I've already given you a rebuttal.

Here's the policy:
eboard.eboardsolutions.com...

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Here's where I'm at after reading this thread.

Is competition something we've required for survival and are we evolving past the need for it?

Humanity is in a scary transitional phase right now.

I'm thinking about it... things like recreational sex, sports, I wonder if extra terrestrial civilizations had to evolve past these base instincts in order to traverse space and grow into interstellar travel ...

Could we be experiencing the early stages of a new phase of evolution for humanity

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

No. Competition is what drives us forward, and so long as we are an evolving species, we will compete.

Even hive insects compete. They may not compete as individuals, but they compete as hives against one another.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Here's where I'm at after reading this thread.

Is competition something we've required for survival and are we evolving past the need for it?

Humanity is in a scary transitional phase right now.

I'm thinking about it... things like recreational sex, sports, I wonder if extra terrestrial civilizations had to evolve past these base instincts in order to traverse space and grow into interstellar travel ...

Could we be experiencing the early stages of a new phase of evolution for humanity

In the job sector humans are competing against machines for work, it is looking like automation is winning too?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

All I have said is that the competition for valedictorian serves no purpose and is not indicative of someone that is educated well enough to compete in the world.

What makes you believe I fear competition? I compete with others in my daily life and so far I've been winning my battles. Life is good. Not because I got 1st place in some meaningless competition, but because I got the education and training to do what I need to succeed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join