It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love the Farmers' Market!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I love that first trip to the City Market! It's just so nice to see the variety of stuff you can't find at the grocery store.

Lambs' Qarters, baby bok choy, Russian kale, salad greens, arugula (have you seen the price of that at Whole Foods?), spinach, garlic ... Awesome!

I can't wait for the season to really get going. Berries should be coming in soon ... Then it'll be peaches!

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I love it too!!! Our local farmers actually takes EBT food stamps, so the healthy products are available to everyone. But, in our area, its realllly expensive. I paid $3 for one onion.
I have a good size garden and planted 12 fruit trees this year and I have a bunch of berries to get into the ground.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I got a bunch of Russian kale, bucnh of baby bok choys, and a bunch of arugula for $3 total at ours. Huge bag of spinach for $3. It just depends on what you are looking for and how many have it. A lot of things are very reasonable and some things will be worse than a grocery. They also had morels, but those were $15 and $20/lb. They're worth it, but we didn't have the money for the splurge.
edit on 21-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Buy farmers market, keep the cash in the community and to local small businesses.

Love the local honey, they sayers say it prevents pollen allergies. What do I know…

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm near the Amish...
The buggies might piss you off when driving, but damn, the food is fresh and cheap.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I love it too! Headed over to my local farmers market in just a bit, so excited!

As someone else said, it's a bit pricey, but I don't mind paying a little more for good produce and supporting local farmers.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hell's yeah..I got a loaf banana nut bread,and a single brass knuckles for under 20$ where I live..

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Just planted too!! Thai basil, romesco basil, english thyme, lemon tyme, sage, rosemary, jalapeño, green beans and tomato's. Thinking about adding some cucumbers and lettuce this weekend.

If I owned a home with a yard, I'd plant a Meyer lemon tree for sure! One day

Love this time of year!
edit on 21-5-2016 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

We got basic basil, oregano, lemon thyme, and rosemary for the patio. I had them going well before I got pregnant and just couldn't keep them going through the early years of kiddo. Time to get the patio garden up and running again. I missed not having the fresh herbs I could just grab when I really wanted them.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

It's so nice being able to go outside and clip what you need, and herbs are so expensive at the grocery store. Love my little patio garden. Planted some strawberries last year, so excited for the fruit this year!

This is the first place I've lived, in 13 years, that allows room for a small garden. My mom has a green thumb and always had a vegetable and herb garden. How I've missed it! There is litteraly nothing as delicious as a tomato straight from the vine, and the smell!!

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I have an Orange tree ..in the back yard (Florida oranges) ..but we do have a great farmers market at the Wagon wheel flea market ...has everything..

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
What I miss most are the homemade perogies and kielbasa..

..Not much for farmers markets where I am now, though..

There are markets here, but they just sell the same stuff you find in supermarkets...at a higher price.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ours opened this morning too. Came home with cabbage, eggs, peaches, sausage and pork chops. The first market of the season is more a social occasion for a lot of the vendors who don't have a full complement of goods yet. We spend a lot of time catching up on winter activities and exchanging early gardening woes.
Enjoying strawberries, green onions, radishes, wild greens and lettuces from my home gardens.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My GF has 1/2 acre in asparagus and raspberries and I have the other half in melons, pumpkins and decorative gourds. We are limited on what we can grow in this desert sandy soil. All destined for our Sunday and Wednesday market or wholesale to the yuppie cuisine restaurants in our village. Our neighbor kid takes care of the entire truck patch, he gets half the profits and use of the PU. He wants to lease another acre or two, plow up the garden and put it all in alfalfa and raise a couple of beef cattle. More money, less work....enterprising young lad.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Dammit. I missed it again. I have my days mixed up. The village I live in has one just blocks from my house every Saturday on the lawn of the town hall. I have to put it in my phone with an alarm.

Doing that now. This thread reminded me. TY.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

That's the other thing I love about the City Market: the food trucks and the little cafes around the perimeter of it. There is one place that does fresh beignets. They're stirring the batter right there in front of your to make your order while you wait. They're done fresh. There's a little Mexican place that does killer quesadillas and burritos. Then there's the Italian deli and the Brazilian place along with an Indian joint and Middle Eastern one. And that's before you get to the sit down BBQ joint and the Chinese one.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
i do, too. I've enjoy some of my herbs during the spring. I can't grow much in the way of vegetables, due to the birds. We have fostered a rather large and diverse bird population in the acreage around our house. If losing that is the cost of growing tomatoes, ill just find a way to deal with it.

But we do grow quite a few herbs. We are going to do peaches, too. I think i have a spot that would produce some very nice fruit.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Im just east of SanFrancisco about a bit over an hour. We have several Farmers markets in the area. The one I frequent runs year round every Sunday, and its just 5 blocks away. There is one family that owns a fishing fleet in Alaska, that overnights fresh King Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, and sea scallops. They are super fresh, but not cheap. I used to ask the lady for a discount, now she greets me and offers me several dollars off of what ever I choose. Much of my produce I grow in year round raised bed gardens on my property. Ive jus come in from tilling, and transplanting 6 types of melons, ank many varieties of corn and tomatos. I have some tomatos that are already almost ripe now. Some type of animal keeps picking my ripe boysenberries before I can. Ive been picking sugar snap peas, and green beans, and oodles of zukes

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

zucchini....yum. I eat it (or its mexican cousin) 4-5 times a week in one form or another.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My grandfather on my dad's side used to have a huge garden. Huge strawberry patch and every year grandma would have jars and jars of homemade dill pickles ... the best.

I wish we had space for more than a few tomato and pepper plants on our patio along with the herbs. I also like to run a patio pond in a 40g stock pond. When my aquariums were up and running, I'd move some cuttings of aquarium plants out to grow all summer with some platy fish and some small gouramis for mosquito control. Then I'd take the plants to auction in the fall at the fish club. The patio looked really nice with pond and the plants arranged in and around it. We'd have birds and squirrels come up and enjoy to mini garden too and dragon flies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join