It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

110,000,000 (Million) People On Welfare In The US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I came across these figures and I think I was not as surprised as I once would have been (call it being surprised at not being surprised).. You see, I have been out of country for a little over three years and yesterday we went USA/Kroger grocery shopping.

Talk about sticker shock !

In my opinion just about everything has doubled or tripled in price.... or my Alzheimer's is not functioning at peak performance ? My friends have said that their electric bills have doubled since I was last in the states just three short years ago and some have had to increase their spending by as much as $2000 just to stay at the same social economic level they were at in the not so distant 3 years past.

S.E. Asia (where we call home) has had a severe heat spell (worse in 65 years) with a few days reaching 43 degrees C. My S.E. Asian electric bill was $110 for the month of April and that is running fans and air conditioners 24/7, which I thought was rather high considering most of our electric bills are around $70.

We are (USA) here to visit family and play Golf with several friends. We had planned on staying up to six months but to be honest I doubt we will stay that long. I have a very strong gene in my make up that requires me to believe I am getting value for my money or my time.. Unfortunately I am having a hard time seeing value in many of the necessities we have had to purchase. Great friends who I have known for 50 plus years and family who I enjoy and actually like being around but.... restaurant bills for 6 eating (no wine) is really tweaking my value gene !

So I guess you could say I am not really surprised at the following statistics; I do have a nagging suspicion that some of the numbers quoted at the sight are on the very low side of reality though.

www.statisticbrain.com...

Welfare Statistics
Total number of Americans on welfare 110,489,000
Total number of Americans on food stamps 41,700,000
Total number of Americans on unemployment insurance 10,200,000
Percent of the US population on welfare 35.4 %
Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131,900,000,000

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Very sad statics.

Though one has to bear in mind in most of these cases it’s not really the individuals fault but rather the system that has trapped them into this mess. With low wage economy many people have to take welfare or starve.

With state education next to useless and a low wage economy then its not surprising so many are trapped on welfare.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I don't think it's just you. Depending on what state you are in it could be better or worse. I would think CA would have a higher cost of living than say NC. I actually dread winter ,on this because my power bill sky rockets. I have seen it as high as 500 for one month. The first time a bill like this came in I nearly fainted. The previous months bill had been about 140. So yeah. Power companies are my own personal pet peeve. It's a monopoly thing in my area that sends me on rants every month when the bill comes far higher than I think it should be. Honestly though if you had a 500 dollar power bill using the same amount of energy (yes I actually keep track of this from month to month) you would probably rant and rave too!

My grocery bill is a lot higher too. Sure I take into account I am feeding 5 people. I make a strict list, plan out my meals for the week and snacks etc, and buy as much that's on sale or has e coupons I can attach to my shopper card. I still spend on average 130-150. I literally am not able to buy anything extra which sucks due to my love of Ben and jerrys!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Very sad statics.

Though one has to bear in mind in most of these cases it’s not really the individuals fault but rather the system that has trapped them into this mess. With low wage economy many people have to take welfare or starve.

With state education next to useless and a low wage economy then its not surprising so many are trapped on welfare.

Yep and some of my younger friends who are graduating as engineers are not sitting very well with student loans, job salaries and Obama care. I have no answers only observations... But I do know if companies continue to move overseas and mom and pop places are regulated out of business the future picture is not one I would want to hang on any wall..

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Could you imagine finding jobs for all those people, it clearly shows that there isn't enough jobs to support the entire populace of the US, and there will always be big time unemployment.

I'm not sure if you can receive welfare, and have a job on the side.
edit on 11-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Could you imagine finding jobs for all those people, it clearly shows that there isn't enough jobs to support the entire populace of the US, and there will always be big time unemployment.

I'm not sure if you can receive welfare, and have a job on the side.

Its not a case of finding jobs.

Most people on welfare have jobs.

The problem is the jobs do not pay enough as the only jobs available are low wage service jobs that do not cover the cost of living.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Ah Okay, where i live you can not receive welfare if you have a job, the minimum wage is higher here though, even McDonald pays a good wage.
edit on 11-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
wow, those figures are sooo high, we dont even have that many people in my country ha, the unemployment problem here is huge too. everyone is either immagrating to Austrailia or Canada. its sad

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I can't find it in the link.
Do they consider social security welfare?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It seems like Cloward-Piven strategy is progressing.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Those are staggering statistics. I honestly find them hard to believe, but even more difficult to fathom. It seems we are looking at Depression era numbers here.

And this at a time when unemployment is said to be at 5%?
Of course, there's alternate ways to calculate unemployment: www.shadowstats.com...

Imagine what the fall out would be if we had another "Great Recession".

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Dawnek9

Do we have any statistics indicating the number of people leaving for Canada or Australia?

I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm asking out of interest and because I can't find any statistics on the subject.

Thanks

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I can't find it in the link.
Do they consider social security welfare?

I believe SS is included, so they're counting retirees, as if their SS is "government assistance." From what I can tell, the numbers are accurate, but attempting to paint a dishonest picture.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Technically speaking social security is welfare and not a retirement account. The government can shut it off at any time. But it is treated as a retirement fund and should not be counted as welfare.
So yeah, the numbers are kinda skewed..
edit on 11-5-2016 by Bluntone22 because: Spelling

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Those are staggering statistics. I honestly find them hard to believe, but even more difficult to fathom. It seems we are looking at Depression era numbers here.

And this at a time when unemployment is said to be at 5%?
Of course, there's alternate ways to calculate unemployment: www.shadowstats.com...

Imagine what the fall out would be if we had another "Great Recession".

Bill Clinton is out on the campaign trail saying that we have never recovered from the recession that began in December of 2007.
He is blaming Obama.
Obama blamed Bush, but then tried to push our economy as a thriving one.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Perhaps it's time to blame Congress.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Most people on welfare have jobs.
a reply to: crazyewok

or maybe....
most people on welfare are kids??

I wish they would explain what they mean by the term welfare and use it consistently throughout the whole page though!!

Total amount of money you can make monthly and still receive Welfare $1000
Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job 39
Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job 6
Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

okay, the first one has excluded food stamps, hud, and most of the programs from what they mean as welfare, since some of the income limits are far higher than $1000/mo. my guess is that they are talking about only AFDC here.

But, AFDC alone does not pay more than an $8 an hour job. although, in many states, if one hit's the jackpot and is enrolled in all the different programs, they can get more than some of those who are being denied help because of their income have access to.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Perhaps it's time to blame Congress.

True.
They hold the purse strings.

So that would mean that Bill Clinton's balanced budgets were actually Newt Gingrich's accomplishment, along with the economy during the Clinton years.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Working quite brilliantly isn't it! Thanks for that link.

And as well, the elites are quickly and quietly making way for a "One Party" state, i.e., the Democrat party. So, who needs two parties when there's a Federally guaranteed minimum income........to loyal Party members!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
How many of those 110 million are Walmart workers?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join