It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US offers Patriot(PAC-3) missiles to India

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050214/ap_on_go_ot/missile_defense
The USA’s Patriot system actually failed its last test and so far has failed nearly every test, if not all of them.

How is that a good system? Why would India bother buying something that can’t work in a test setting?

As for the S-300, I remember reading they did something like 10tests on that and it passed them. On that alone which would you rather have? Especially when the S-300 is cheaper.

Especially if its true that the US has a "lock" on they PACS that can render it inoperable when they want to. I think some other poster (in another post) said that they was a theory on that.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
arrow system shortcommings :

Arrow would not protect Israel from attack by missiles much faster than Scuds, or by any kind of missile carrying weapons of mass destruction, or simply by large quantities of missiles. Several kinds of missiles procured by enemies of Israel have ranges considerably greater than is required to reach Israel. One reason why anyone might want to fire a missile with a range of, say, 3000 kilometers at a target that is only 500 kilometers away is that such a missile would arrive at its target after having reached a height of about 1200 km—-roughly the height reached by intercontinental missiles. Like them, it would arrive at speeds typically more than 6 km/sec. That is three times the speed of Scuds, and about twice the speed of the targets that Arrow is designed to handle. As for weapons of mass destruction, whether chemical, biological, or nuclear, interception at ranges of 50 km or so may be sufficient to protect military forces in a “theater of operations.” But it is not far enough to protect populated areas.

The Arrow 2 interceptor could do better against fast warheads, and could make intercepts as far out as it can fly, which is some 90 kilometers—-if its “Citron Tree” were supplied with data from US satellites that would allow it to launch the interceptors before the “Green Pine” acquired them. Indeed, with such data, Arrow could add a first stage to its interceptor, allowing it to fly out much farther. Given Israel’s high population density, intercepting weapons of mass destruction at least 50 kilometers from the borders is really a necessity. Since the effectiveness of Arrow depends chiefly on how early it gets fire control information, improving it—-or any other “Theater” system—-depends on transcending its ground based radar and fire control.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Nice find, Stealth Spy, never knew that about the 'Arrow' system.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
that's why iran made the shabab-3 and keep threatening to wipe off israel of the map every fortnight

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

India has set out to configure its own ballistic missile defence on the basis of Prithvi missile and the Israeli Greenpine radar.

The DRDO will attempt to integrate this system into an effective missile defence within a five-to-seven-year time, highly-placed sources disclosed

www.hindustantimes.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
name range in kilometeres

Hatf 1A 100
Hatf 2 (Abdali) 180
Hatf 3 (Ghaznavi) 290
M-11 China SRBM 300
Hatf 5 (Ghauri 1) 1,500
Hatf 5 (Ghauri 2) 1,800 (in reserch)
Shaheen 1 700
Shaheen 2 2500 (concept as yet)

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
here' s what the pakistanis think of the PAC sale.

“If India gets the patriot anti-missile defence system, where do we go, because it would be almost impossible to penetrate with the indigenous Ghauri and Hataf missiles that we have,” one worried analyst said.

source

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i bet pakistan are really shaky now....good....good

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Stealth ..contradictary to your belifs..a "shaky" pakistan" is definitely NOT good for India...they might go and do something crazy like import more weps grade plutonium from china and increase their ballistic missile fleet by tenfold to be able to overwhelm any missile defence system we may acquire

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
everyone must check this one out .

Pakistan will be failed state by 2015

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i almost fainted after reading these :

Pakistan’s Nuclear Punch

Indian targets

i want some missile defence for myself. make mine the THAAD. Paint it dark blue!!! tell george, i'll pay by cash.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The US authorities have given green signal to the manufacturers Lockheed Martin to give technical presentation to India on the state-of-the-art anti-missile defence system.

The latest US decision to sell PAC-3 to India is a progress from its earlier decision to sell PAC-2 to New Delhi. Unlike its previous versions, PAC-3 does not carry any explosives relying instead on kinetic energy (hit to kill concept) to eliminate short and medium range missiles carrying nuclear, biological and chemical warheads.

The PAC-3 system carries smaller but four times more missiles than PAC-2 and has a longer range. The US Army has inducted 175 PAC-3 systems till this year.

www.globalsecurity.org...

srirangan.net...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And here's the most interesting part :

In the area of missile defense, efforts will begin with efforts to secure approval of Patriot PAC-3 missiles for India (previous offers had involved PAC-2s). There was no word on whether the Israeli-American Arrow THAAD missile defense system, which India has previously sought, would also be approved, though Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee did express India's position that all technology restrictions should be dropped.

link

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i think US has offered PAC2 instead of PAC3, which is quite inferior as compared to PAC3.
Also i dont think the US would never give their state of the art missile defence tech to India.
Indian high command should be cautious before accepting such offers...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
India was never offered PAC-3 missiles. in the article it clearly states that india was offered The Patriot PAC-2 GEM+ system

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
if it is not a PAC-3 then i say screw it, i would go for Arrow or the 300. But i was sure it was PAC-3 (i read it somewhere let me try to find it )

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
here is a source (not sure how accurate):
www.dawn.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
India was never offered PAC-3 missiles. in the article it clearly states that india was offered The Patriot PAC-2 GEM+ system

First of all, get a hold of your font size !

The US offered India the PAC-2 Gem+ a long time back.

The offer has now been upgraded to PAC-3 just a few days back .

The latest US decision to sell PAC-3 to India is a progress from its earlier decision to sell PAC-2 to New Delhi.

www.globalsecurity.org...

But India want the THAAD and there is no word yet on that one
and this is all that was said :

"We are willing to talk to India about missile defence. Missile defence is very expensive. So, it is not something that India will enter into lightly," visiting US assistant secretary of state for arms control, Stephen Rademaker, told reporters.

link

The PAC-2 GEM+ was offered in early April but after the US has offered India block 70 F-16's with co-production and F/A-18 Super Hornets and upgraded the PAC-2 offer to PAC-3 in mid June.

Read this too :

NEW DELHI, JUNE 14: Signalling that it’s ready for intensifying defence ties with New Delhi, Washington has cleared the sale of the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) anti-missile defence system to India on the eve of Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee’s visit to the US this month.

Government sources said that the possible sale offer has been conveyed through diplomatic channels to the highest levels including the Defence Ministry.

Though New Delhi has just been informed of the offer, Washington has given a green signal to the PAC-3 manufacturers, Lockheed Martin, to give a technical presentation to India on the state-of-the-art anti-missile defence system. The PAC-3 system is a big step beyond Washington’s earlier offer for sale of PAC-2.

read full........

But what india really want is the THAAD and things dont look that optimistic about that.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
finally done with that wretched engg... now to better things...
like ATS!!..

Hmmm..
Even I thought it was the PAC-2..
Didnt fancy the americans offering the PAC-3.. but with the F-16 blk 70s and the superhornets being offered to.. it wouldn't be upping the ante much!!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

what is the states of pac III within US did US forces inducting any pac III unit in own forces.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join