It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Finds Fructose Alters Genes in the Brain, Sabotages Learning and Memory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
5th May 2016

By Carolanne Wright

Contributing writer for Wake Up World

wakeup-world.com...

. . .
Now scientists have added yet another reason: poor brain function — particularly inhibited learning and memory. But it’s a specific type of sugar that wields such devastating effects — one that can be found in almost every form of processed food in the U.S. and beyond. That sugar is fructose.
. . .

“A range of diseases — from diabetes to cardiovascular disease, and from Alzheimer’s disease to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — are linked to changes to genes in the brain. A new study by UCLA life scientists has found that hundreds of those genes can be damaged by fructose, a sugar that’s common in the Western diet, in a way that could lead to those diseases.” ~ UCLA Newsroom

. . .
During the study, researchers from The University of California, Los Angeles, sequenced more than 20,000 genes in test animals and found that over 200 genes in the hippocampus (the region that regulates learning and memory) were altered by fructose.
. . .
Lead researcher Fernando Gomez-Pinilla found in earlier research that “fructose damages communication between brain cells and increases toxic molecules in the brain; and that a long-term high-fructose diet diminishes the brain’s ability to learn and remember information.” He advises avoiding sugary drinks, reducing desserts and consuming overall less sugar.
. . .

It sounds like the alarm about fructose is getting more intense and more specific, more refined.
Aaaargh.
Soda drinks are a huge culprit. I rarely drink them much at all any more. Maybe 3-4 a year.
All the more so . . . I was reading recently [don't recall the source] that ALL the major fast food chains tested--their ice was tested--their ice ALL had more bacteria than the average toilet bowl. Couple that with the fructose in the soft drinks . . . it's enough to swear off such for good! Thankfully, most toilet bowls have drinkable water--even all things considered. LOL. Of course, drinkable and healthy may be 2 different matters.
The above article does go on to say that some damage can be restored, healed by DHA from omega-3 fatty acids.
Anyway--it seemed serious enough to me. I thought I'd throw another alarm out for those not up to speed on the issue and substance.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

And the bad news is:
Fructose is found in fruits, honey and most root vegetables.

Better switch to the Atkins diet.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I somehow am less bothered by it in natural things . . . than the type they load up soft drinks so heavily with.

I'm not an anti-sugar bloke.

The Bible spoke of 'milk and honey' as being good. But honey is a different order of thing, imho--particularly raw etc.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I have found my body responds best when I stick to proteins and fat and avoid sugars as much as possible. Things that have any added sugar are poison for the body, but I don't feel that bad eating fruits that contain sugar as I would drinking it in a carbonated beverage.

I will stick with my protein heavy diet.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Sounds sensible, to me.

My diet consists probably 25-50% . . . depending on the day . . . of almond butter. LOL.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

And the bad news is:
Fructose is found in fruits, honey and most root vegetables.

Better switch to the Atkins diet.

The big difference though is fruit is essential for health,balance and vitality, as well as deliver other vital nutrients to our bodies... its all about moderation, where as processed sugars that are added to foods have little to no nutritional value....

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I never heard fructose it's harmful it just spikes up your insulin faster

But sucralose and corn syrup

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

So, to be Specific, it's not natural fructose they are referring to, but High Fructose Corn syrup.

(Bolding is my doing) (Quotes are from the OPs linked article)

“Technically, there are three types of simple sugar: glucose, fructose, and galactose, which is not usually added to commercially processed foods as it is not as sweet. Glucose is the body’s primary source of energy and is usually produced through the breakdown of complex carbohydrates. Foods high in glucose include dried fruits, fresh fruits, and to a lesser extent grains, beans, vegetables, and nuts. While the same foods, especially fruit, also contain fructose, this type of simple sugar is added to many processed foods in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.

Americans consume an inordinate amount of fructose — mainly in the form of foods sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid sweetener made from corn starch. According to the Department of Agriculture, Americans ingested a staggering 27 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup in 2014. Fructose is also found in fruit, but the fiber significantly slows absorption of the sugar. Plus it contains other healthy elements, which help to mitigate any negative effects.

There is a difference between High Fructose corn syrup, and natural fructose.

Definetly some good "light" reading here in the Wiki on HFCS, tho HFCS should hardly be considered a safe alternative to any natural sugar, imo.

Just to point it out HFCS =/= natural fructose.
edit on C16151145 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

edit on C16151424 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

THANKS. Good points.

Headed to bed now . . . maybe I'll get to the link tomorrow.

Cheers.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
It is true about the level of sugar can affect the health of you, but white corn syrup in making popcorn balls seems to be quite harmless.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I hope so. Grannies were the best.

Memories.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

I hope so. Grannies were the best.

Memories.

ah , so you remember so well

did you make color popcorn balls, my mother did

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Naw. Plain white.

That and her bread were great positives in an often otherwise negative experience. I was frequently criticized for not being quite something enough when visiting--even Grannie's. Though that was probably one of the safest places for me to visit.

I loved her white bread. Gads I miss it.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
In reality, the difference between fructose found in fruits and the fructose manufactured from cornstarch is..... zero.

There's a significant focus in the popular media on the role of fructose in health. For instance, you may have heard that high-fructose corn syrup is bad for you and might wonder whether that's because the fructose is "artificial" as opposed to "natural." Actually, there's no difference between artificial and natural fructose.

There's no chemical difference between "natural" and "artificial" fructose; the molecules are absolutely indistinguishable from one another, have identical properties and act identically in the body. Most "artificial" fructose — which might more appropriately be called industrially-produced fructose — comes from using enzymes to convert glucose into fructose. "Natural" fructose, which occurs in foods, is made by the cells in those foods in the same way; it's converted over from glucose.

If fructose is bad for your brain, then eating fruit is bad for your brain.
livestrong.com
I understand that too much fructose can be bad for your health, but I want to dispel the notion that manufactured fructose is somehow different than the fructose found in fruits.
They are both chemically identical.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

This is an old . . . issue, imho.

Whether it is "refined" sugar, honey or whatever.

Certainly an MD/Pastor friend agreed with you.

Certainly lots of experiments agree with you.

I still have a lingering curiosity/suspicion

that there MAY be some aspect of absolutely natural and unrefined foods which somehow do carry a benefit that science has not yet detected.

Nevertheless, I think you make a point well worth considering.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

The problem is the amount consumed. We get a whole lot of sweeteners in our foods. You can bake a tasty cake at home that doesn't rely on sweeteners to taste good, but it is more difficult to buy one at a supermarket. You have to find the special aisle and look for the small section in that aisle to find something overpriced that won't taste as good.
And you won't find one in a convenience store at all.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Naw. Plain white.

That and her bread were great positives in an often otherwise negative experience. I was frequently criticized for not being quite something enough when visiting--even Grannie's. Though that was probably one of the safest places for me to visit.

I loved her white bread. Gads I miss it.

You didn't add food color to it.

yellow and pink and red were the favorites of my youth

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

INDEED.

Sometimes the food products the oligarchy has helped foster . . . seem to be of the same ilk as the cigarette industry in unhealthiness.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

IIRC, Granny came out on a covered wagon to Colorado. Food color might well have been silly, extravagant and foolishness, to her.

But she could sure cook whether it was on a wood or gas stove.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Are you talking about HFCS?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join