It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 Last-Minute Gifts That Are Actually Thoughtful {& rather inexpensive}

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Christina Lan
BuzzFeed Staff

Being gracious doesn’t have to require $$$.
www.buzzfeed.com...

I've long preferred to make things for others as long as I could do a quality meaningful job--which isn't always that easy and can take a lot of time I may not have.
Some of these take too much time for a busy life and some don't.
Most of them are quite thoughtful and would likely be well received by those who treasure you and your relationship.
Some of the suggestions have the potential to become highly treasured heirlooms for a lifetime.
I think that as the economy collapses, giving loving gifts may become a real sad casualty that falls too much and too often by the wayside. This list of projects and gifts can help mitigate that.
Please feel free to suggest your own ideas.
Cheers.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

youre right giving a great gift doesnt mean it has to cost you any money. i like to carve and have a few things i will give to a few people as such
edit on 1-5-2016 by malevolent because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

Even Americans appreciate the personal, hand-made touch.

Certainly it helps when one is good at the art.

But a lot of less than wonderful things are warmly received--particularly by grandmas! LOL.

I think several of the projects in the list look easy enough to make and have them look good, done well.

In our microwave, instant-gratification society, hand-made can easily carry a lot more 'heart' with it.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Even Americans appreciate the personal, hand-made touch.

Certainly it helps when one is good at the art.

But a lot of less than wonderful things are warmly received--particularly by grandmas! LOL.

I think several of the projects in the list look easy enough to make and have them look good, done well.

In our microwave, instant-gratification society, hand-made can easily carry a lot more 'heart' with it.
umm just saying i am an American but i know what your saying, to be honest i didnt look at that list i just like my hobby. ok i looked it over some is just idk mushy for me i hand carve things that catch my attention
edit on 1-5-2016 by malevolent because: looked at your site

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

That's reasonable.

I was reflecting, in my earlier comment about Americans, that Asians REALLY have an appreciation for hand made things. Actually, I think they have a greater appreciation for the intangibles we give our loved ones, as well . . . e.g. time, caring, listening, help etc.

And then I reflected on my rural area of the American West . . . and how there's also an appreciation for hand made things here. Though I think Asians are still more intense about such things.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

That's reasonable.

I was reflecting, in my earlier comment about Americans, that Asians REALLY have an appreciation for hand made things. Actually, I think they have a greater appreciation for the intangibles we give our loved ones, as well . . . e.g. time, caring, listening, help etc.

And then I reflected on my rural area of the American West . . . and how there's also an appreciation for hand made things here. Though I think Asians are still more intense about such things.
things that hold feeling are given to those you hold feelings for....

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

things that hold feeling are given to those you hold feelings for....

Well put. Agreed.

I think it's great to be able to pour into something one is making the caring one feels for the recipient.

And when the gift is received in the same spirit with the same feelings . . . it's icing on the cake.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

yeah its something like that

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I give living plants, especially trees, that are fitting for their location. A friend gave me a tree I had been wanting but didn't know what it was. Every day, I see that tree and think of my friend who has moved far away and lost touch but I remember her fondly. A perennial plant or shrub would be nice too.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
I give living plants, especially trees, that are fitting for their location. A friend gave me a tree I had been wanting but didn't know what it was. Every day, I see that tree and think of my friend who has moved far away and lost touch but I remember her fondly. A perennial plant or shrub would be nice too.
quite touching lol did you know that trees have a meaning to them?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Do you have a reference, link or summary about trees and their meanings?

My favorite are maples.

And aspens.

And redwoods.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Do you have a reference, link or summary about trees and their meanings?

My favorite are maples.

And aspens.

And redwoods.
you should just look it up for yourself, i personally dont have any favorites i they serve the use i intend them to then im happy

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

i mailed you i hope dont mind

top topics

join