It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it isn't 100% organic, it's probably not organic.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

So the things in my body don't have any effect on my Immune system? To include but not limited to Organic products or GMOs?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm over here in central Pennsylvania.

As for all farmers using pesticides this is a true fact. There was a write up of a local farmer last year who decided to not order his usual spray for his crops. It's quite amazing and I will search for it and try to post it. He walked through his observations of how nature came through and kept his crops 'healthy.'

That said usually we try to grow as much as possible. Because I too have an obnoxious amount of allergies. My doctors haven't looked further into it because if I don't eat it then I'm ok. On that list is eggs, red meat, ALL dairy, cinnamon, pecans, nutmeg. I have an intolerance to gluten but I suspect it's more of the ingredients in bread and pasta products that throw me over the edge. Reactions range from anaphylaxis to cysts to hives.

I personally hate the word organic because it just doesn't exist in this world. Nothing is truly untouched anymore and therefore you have to be logical about foods. Shopping local farms means less allergy attacks for me. Even the farmer who HAS gone pesticide free can not account for an overspray or cross pollination. It is what it is. But there is one thing that is a fact. There are far more allergies than there ever has been. And that is cause for concern. Why?

So. You can literally Google gmo free Lancaster pa and you get a slew of articles.
edit on 1-5-2016 by NixieJean because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
a reply to: schuyler

The food allergies aren't recent, it's the autoimmunity that sparked it, the allergies are just a bonus.

You still don't have a connection to organic/non-organic.

The Schience of eating with Hashimoto's Disease

Dr Nickolas Hedberg

Just a couple of quick articles I drummed up a while back. Having an Autoimmunity means i need to eat as "organically" as possible at the hopes they actually don't use a bunch of pesticides...

One simple change you can begin making is the choice to eat organic foods for low thyroid symptoms. Pesticides are toxins. Pesticides, herbicides and other toxic chemicals introduced to your body through conventionally grown foods may cause you to produce low thyroid hormone levels. When you eat organic foods for low thyroid you are introducing fewer of the thyroid-disrupting chemicals into your system. For more information on why eating organic foods for low thyroid conditions may help you restore normal thyroid function, read The Complete Thyroid Health and Diet Guide by Dr. Nikolas R. Hedberg. The chapter on thyroid-disrupting chemicals explains the current scientific understanding of how chemicals inhibit thyroid function.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

I hate to break it to you but you'd better exclude soy products as well.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Oh yeah I know that, unfortunately which means no meal replacements, no broccoli or cauliflower, i get most of my protein from nuts, peanut butter, non processed chicken (I have a rotisserie to cook a whole chicken and meal prep) and beans

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NixieJean

Thank you! I was starting to feel like some people just didn't understand why I would be so concerned about this.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Many plants, including many food crops, produce their own pesticides and herbicides naturally. Some of them are incredibly toxic. HOWEVER, it is the DOSE that makes the poison.

Pesticides and herbicides aren't long lived in the environment(which is why they keep spraying) either organics or synthetics(which are usually derived from organics).

If you have health issues the debate should not be whether you eat organic or not. It should be whether what you eat is or is not contributing to your health. I would consult a doctor before asking for advice on the internet. Especially a conspiracy site where the scientific method is considered a shill tool.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Well, with my health issuses it has been suggested that I lean more towards an Organic/Gluten free diet. Essentially paelo or vegan are my only options so when I shop now I have to be extra conscious of what I buy for myself (I still keep regular food stocked for when I cook for my friends and co-workers)

Past me shopping " Oh a tomato, that's healthy, I'll get that."
Present me shopping " Oh a tomato... I wonder what kind of pesticides have been used on this? Should I get it? What company is it made by so I can look it up?"

Effects of GMOs in Hashimotos

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

a reply to: redhorse

The truly are. There are so many loopholes and it is completely diluted with legal jargon to the point that I wanted to give up halfway through my research.

What kind of project were you going to pursue?

I was hoping to get a few katahdin hair sheep for our own use for meat and maybe sell some surplus lambs to some of the local restaurants that cater to higher end clientele. Offer a farm to table option since the local Hutterites have a USDA approved slaughter facility. They pick their lambs, buy their meat on the hoof and have it slaughtered by the Hutterites. There is a bigger demand for grass fed, humanely raised meat even here in Montana. I thought maybe I could fill a niche. Organic would be a good marketing tool as well, but the laws are hard to understand.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

There is no peer reviewed paper ever written that GMOs affect you in such a way.

NONE.

Naturopaths like that guy are the same kind of people who killed this kid:

ascienceenthusiast.com...

Please don't put your health at risk listening to people who have ZERO scientific credentials.
edit on 1 5 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I love that idea! The problem for me is the price of gras fed, high end food isn't available here. I have to special order anything....the only place here is Walmart or a local farmer's market that pretty much only sells produce and i am not 100% sure it isn't purchased from a regular grocer

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Lordy, what ignorant garbage lies within there.

Or a food modified with a toxin designed to kill insects could turn your gut bacteria into a pesticide.

Sure and eating a carrot could turn you into one. Because carrots have genes, and DNA, and stuff.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Or a food modified with a toxin designed to kill insects could turn your gut bacteria into a pesticide.

Yeah that guy is a quack. He's no better than David Avocado Wolfe and the bull# anti science crap he sell.

The fact that people put their lives at risk listening to these idiots scares the hell out of me.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Go by taste, most of the time as far as whole foods go organic will taste vastly better, usually it's night and day, there can be exceptions to this and it doesn't need to be labeled organic to be so which is why how it looks/smells/tastes is important.

As far as organic processed foods your be avoiding some of the really bad stuff, the synthetic ingredients, preservatives, chemicals and lots of nasty stuff that is added as standard practice in non organic processed foods, by the sounds of it you would greatly benefit from a mostly whole foods plant based diet anyway as would every body that said.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: McSwifty

Go by taste, most of the time as far as whole foods go organic will taste vastly better, usually it's night and day, there can be exceptions to this and it doesn't need to be labeled organic to be so which is why how it looks/smells/tastes is important.
That would probably have more to do with the seed. Mass grown "tomatoes" taste like, well, not much of anything. "Heirloom" tomatoes taste wonderful because they are not bred to look good or last a long time on the shelf.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I love that idea! The problem for me is the price of gras fed, high end food isn't available here. I have to special order anything....the only place here is Walmart or a local farmer's market that pretty much only sells produce and i am not 100% sure it isn't purchased from a regular grocer

Yeah... There are some people who offer that online. The whole package, raise the animals, slaughter them (USDA approved facility), package the meat and ship it out. You pay for it though, pretty spendy stuff. You're right you sure won't find that in a grocery store.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I really understand what you are saying and I do appreciate your concern. I am not so much putting my health at risk as I am trying to get a better understanding of how the pesticides effect my body. Everything you put in you has some chemical effect on you, whether it is noticeable or not and that is only something I learned through this year long struggle to lose weight and stop the incessant pain I am always in. I have been breaking it down to a simple "If I eat X, then X happens" type of result but it's difficult to also be healthy while not knowing what I am actually putting in my body. It's been a long and difficult process but I refuse to stop asking questions and learning about this stuff...

Also, that article makes me sad. I am definitely not falling down that rabbit hole of "all chemicals are bad and unneccessary" just that some people, myself included, may not be able to tolerate it as well as others die to the way our bodies already react to our own chemicals.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I agree with you on the taste and that's what I have been trying to do for the last year. There is such an insane difference in taste once it becomes a habit but then I get to thinking about the fact that there are things that taste good that aren't good for you and that's when I sit down and end up doing random research and coming up with posts like these.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

That would probably have more to do with the seed. Mass grown "tomatoes" taste like, well, not much of anything. "Heirloom" tomatoes taste wonderful because they are not bred to look good or last a long time on the shelf.

Buying organic goes for all whole foods the majority of time, heirloom tomatoes are no exception, 95% of non organic commercially available fruit or vegetables are grown in poor toxic conditions and taste appalling to any one with a healthy pallet, like i said there are some exceptions but rarely and less and less so.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Yeah that guy is a quack. He's no better than David Avocado Wolfe and the bull# anti science crap he sell.

The fact that people put their lives at risk listening to these idiots scares the hell out of me.

Agreed.. however it was the 1st in a slew of articles I found essentially saying the same thing. I acted hastily. Apologies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join