It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topics of Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Why is it that it appears there are a mere three general assortments of topics to discuss nowadays? These topics consist of the general political banter(I suppose to be blamed on the election season, but nonetheless a tad bit pathetic), relationship advice which just appears to be of some magazine.....and posts that make no sense whatsoever!!! I tend to avoid any "serious" discussions because they are drab. The quality of posts are either of the above topics or quick one liners, long quotes and links such as in the history department!! I don't much care for the topics anymore like when I lurked. I'll stick here for the companionship, but Christ!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

My brilliantly creative suggestion . . .

is

that perhaps your blood pressure would be more healthily calm

if

you could avoid the RELATIONSHIP forum entirely. I don't know how hard that might be. But it's worth a thought and perhaps some effort.

edit on 1/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: typo

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Did I ask for your advice? No, I seek no advice hence the rant. A rant is meant to release steam....

"Brilliantly creative" LOL
edit on 1-5-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I am with you. Especially today, ATS is reading like the crap, spam clickbait articles that line the bottom of MSM articles. I havent read an actual conspiracy thread on here in days.

Once ATS goes the way of Facebook....i just do not know.

Eta: It is not about avoiding the relationship forum or what have you. Most members ill bet as well as myself look at the New topics page most often. Well all day today it has been thread after thread of 'lists' or quizzes in multiple different forums. The internet is full of that stuff already...not here. Please.
edit on 1-5-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
I love this site. I do. I have found such amazing people with whom I am willing to stand through anything, but the quality of posts is so low with all the relationship bs from a woman's magazine or the political banter.....this site offers companionship and nothing else anymore.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I was literally thinking of making a rant on the exact same topic. Almost the entire Recent list has not a single thread grabbing my attention & wanting to be read in its entirety, much less reply to a post or two. I blame the election season.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I am shaking my head in disbelief... Really???

My suggestion is that you be the change you want to see. If no one is posting anything worth reading in your opinion, then you should post something worth reading -- and discussing. Rather than complain because the ATS monkeys aren't keeping you properly entertained, post those oh-so-worthy posts and show us all how it's done.

Hint: Whining isn't it... even if you call it a "rant."

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Why don't you start some quality threads on topics that interest you?

This one doesn't count.

edit on 2016/5/1 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Another one of these threads... Lol

BTW you're filling up the board with meaningless threads.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You see what happens when you try to pull people up from their dawdle?

There be many recent 'popularity' contests (one just started, new threads page), but you just won the most unhonorable mention. How dare you poke at meaningless banter?

edit on 1-5-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I just wish there was a way to award negative flags for hypocrisy.

Pot, meet kettle!

edit on 5/1/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

These topics consist of the general political banter(I suppose to be blamed on the election season, but nonetheless a tad bit pathetic)…

Theres your sign. The main stream has dedicated itself to saturation bombing of election cycle politics so everyones mind is blown. By the time the actual election happens, everyone will be 'fed up' with it and tune out so the warmongers can go back to their business behind closed doors as usual. Haven't we noticed that?

Between elections theres years of hidden agenda where they all say no comment, I plead the fifth, we're investigating' etc. Then during election time they don't shut up. Once the election is over the door will slam shut again and everyone will be comfortably in the dark.

The same miasma ruling the main stream news is just as evident here.
edit on 1-5-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: BO XIAN

Did I ask for your advice? No, I seek no advice hence the rant. A rant is meant to release steam....

"Brilliantly creative" LOL

NOBODY asked for his/her advice but that doesn't stop him/her from flooding the site with wanna-be "Dear Abby" threads. I'm actually a bit surprised it's allowed by the mods.

I second your "LOL" on the "brilliantly creative"

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Lol

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

If you're happy to lurk and don't feel the need to participate too much, why not scour the archives for threads worthy of your attention? Hey, go and see some of my old stuff

I joined in 2008 and about the first time I gave someone a flea in their ear was when they made a post complaining about new members not being up to ATS standards. I had quite a bit to say about that. I was right too, that was part of the good ole days everyone keeps harking back to and newer members made plenty of quality contributions as did new members from subsequent years. But they did need to make the effort themselves, not ride on the coat-tails of the older ones.

So, do as a couple of others have suggested. Find something new that the rest of us would be interested to know about. If things really are that dire around here you'll be a hero.

edit on 1-5-2016 by berenike because: browser problems put me right off my stroke

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
IMO, it seems that through the years most of the great topics have been hashed and rehashed. There are mountains of great information in the old threads. But, every year there is a new crop of people just waking up to the truth and its impossible to add to a 20 page topic from 12 years ago and get any meaningful dialog. Sadly when you read the old threads your required to wade through page after page of useless banter and name calling. By the time you get to some meaty information, you realize the thread is too old to revive. Everyone has gone to where old bloggers go and no one is listening any more.

So in someways I think people start nonsense threads because everything else has been covered, and when you make the fatal mistake of making a new thread about a rehashed issue, the whole ats team is on ya.

Also there are a few "resident" know it alls that jump in and try to make a person look stupid for having a different opinion. Instead of sharing what they know they humiliate with their supposed superiority and biting humor. Not Cool. I have seen so many threads that could have been very informative, shut down before the first page.

I also often wonder if some of these "take up space", nonsense threads are flooded in the new topics, as a way to bury important issues.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I do see NEW get cluttered a bit. You should probably focus on foums you like. You don't like serious discussions either- sort of hard to please. I kind of like the variety. I can pick and choose what to look at. I haven't looked at BO XIAN's posts yet, but I assumed that person had just read a book and had information to share and it is in the right forum.

There is a HUGE archive of conspiracy information to go through.

You know where you can go if you don't like it!! (No, I don't mean to hell lol). You should write in The Shed.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
OP:
this thread is so true that it will turn into one of those 3 threads types you mentioned in less than 2 pages.

cheers.

new topics

top topics

join