It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange, Mammal-Like Reptile Lived During The Same Time As Ancient Mammals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Stra nge, Mammal-Like Reptile Lived During The Same Time As Ancient Mammals

An ancient, mammal-like reptile may have lived during the same time as more-modern mammals. This may reveal a bit more about the evolution of these ancient creatures.

A mammal-like reptile may have survived a lot longer than previously thought. Scientists found that tritylodontids, the last-known family of near-mammalian reptiles, may have coexisted with some of the earliest mammal species (before those with features such as advanced hearing evolved). More specifically, these creatures actually link the evolution of mammals from reptiles.

"Tritylodontids were herbivores with unique sets of teeth which intersect when they bite," said Hiroshige Matsuoka of Kyoto University, one of the researchers involved in the latest study. "They had pretty much the same features as mammals - for instance, they were most likely warm-blooded - but taxonomically speaking, they were reptiles because, in their jaws, they still had a bone that in mammals is used for hearing."

Looks and sounds like a classic "Klingon Pitbull" to me.

This just shows be that had we mammals not taken over that the reptiles would have, given enough time, advanced and adapted to their changing environment to eventually fill all the niches we mammals did. Who know s,the classic bulbous head and scaly skin of the dreaded "Reptilian" envisioned by some, would more realistically might have had feathers or even some sort of hair.

That's of course if they had been allowed to evolve naturally...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

This just shows be that had we mammals not taken over that the reptiles would have, given enough time, advanced and adapted to their changing environment to eventually fill all the niches we mammals did.

Dint they do that? some evolve to birds, other evolve to the super efficient reptiles of today...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Reminds me of a roided out sloth on the warpath.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Maybe it's just the artist's rendition, but that forearm/upper arm look almost human. Wiki says they were "small to medium", but not really specific as to length or weight. Still, I can see the Ook family having one for a pet.
Oh, Scary thought. Imagine something the size of a Rottweiler that could hang from a tree by that tail. I know they're plant eaters, but imagine looking up and seeing that hanging over your head.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Is that an infamous Australian Drop Bear?

Apparently all primates evolved from a "lizard rat" so this horror could also have living relatives.
edit on 26-4-2016 by Ericthedoubter because: very fat fingertips.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I just searched images of the critter, that picture is the most ridiculous

the most RIDICULOUS artist impression of all of the impressions rendered

The real thing looks posibly nothing like that drawing,
Research

Maybe this is really a mammal evolving into a crocodile, maybe crocodiles are the pinnacle of evolution and mr trity is really more evolved as he climbed the evolutionary tree to his full crocodile potential
edit on 26-4-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I suppose the real question is whether or not any dinosauroids managed to evolve in our Earths ancient past. And if so what happened to them or where did they go?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

This just shows be that had we mammals not taken over that the reptiles would have, given enough time, advanced and adapted to their changing environment to eventually fill all the niches we mammals did

I wonder. As far as I know...crocs have been around since dino ages...and they havent changed/evolved much since then.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Looks like a dogfaced-platypus.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

This just shows be that had we mammals not taken over that the reptiles would have, given enough time, advanced and adapted to their changing environment to eventually fill all the niches we mammals did

I wonder. As far as I know...crocs have been around since dino ages...and they havent changed/evolved much since then.

I think the difference is, crocodiles have no real natural predators; no need to evolve due to their environment. An efficient predator and killing machine.

Whereas any reptile that was fighting for food/shelter against mammals would have found fierce competition. Evolution would have been required to maintain some sort of advantage, and mammals are also pretty good at that.

it's quite possible that had mammals not had a larger foothold, we'd be petting our family pet felinodile and feeding the rovertaur large cowasaurus bones.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Looks like a dogfaced-platypus.

I know one of them. but it's an untameable monstrously vain creature.

Woof !! Oo

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Looks like a pug-monkey with dishpan hands, to me.

I've never heard of these things before.

Interesting and kinda fantastical looking, like it doesn't make sense for a real animal.

s&f.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
How do they know it had fur. It's always puzzled me. But I never bothered checking.

Also.... Didn't someone say dinosaurs probably head feathers recently?

We work with bones and fossils and say "it probably looked like this..." hahaha.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well ok then, crazy crocoferrets. S&F interesting critter, glad they are gone!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Crocoferret it is.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Former World Bank Senior Council, Karen Hudes has been making a lot of noise lately, and she recently said something she’s never said before. She said that a second species on Earth controls money and religion. Many people who have held positions to know things that the rest of us might not know have made some very shocking statements lately.

www.collective-evolution.com...

Obamas African tribe the myth of the lizard people
www.everyculture.com...

As a teenager, this child loved to bathe alone in a river. Before swimming he would take off his monitor skin, and while swimming he mysteriously became a normal human being. His skin was, in fact, only a superficial covering. One day a passerby saw him swimming and told his parents that he was a normal human being. Secretly, his parents went to watch him swim and discovered that he was in fact normal. They destroyed his skin and thereafter, the boy became accepted and loved by all in his community. For this reason, Opondo and his wife deeply regretted that they had thrown away all of their many monitor children.

Read more: www.everyculture.com...

top topics

join