It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study claims Africa is poor because of too much diversity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You know the place is a crap hole when China is outsourcing there.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Fact remains, the study claimed that diversity is making them poor. If it makes them poor, then it would also make others poor too. The implication is that different areas of the world should be ethnically cleansing their regions by sending everyone home.

Nowhere is as diverse as Africa, did you read the article? Africa has the highest genetic diversity on the planet, so I'm not sure what other places you are comparing it to in order to disprove the authors idea.
edit on 24-4-2016 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

a reply to: Spider879

Yes, the Chinese are not given to being SJWs and worrying about things like slavery, female genital mutilation, child marriage, rape, and the other things that aren't so wonderful about many African cultures.

Of course, the Chinese don't care one whit about the environment either, and I can see the farmers being cool with that because now they can kill any of the local wildlife that happens to threaten their livelihood. People don't get that Cecil was not a big deal in Africa.

As bad as it is those are African problems to solve don't you think??.. could we even stomach a whiff of foreign intervention into our own muck-ups??..I think not.

Do you think they would solve them faster if the rest of the world condemned human rights abuses or if the Chinese came along and provided all of their markets endless access no questions asked?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

And how much do "we" owe those commies in debt.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

And how much do "we" owe those commies in debt.

Probably one of your children.
Free trade was and will always be a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Yes, the Chinese are not given to being SJWs and worrying about things like slavery, female genital mutilation, child marriage, rape, and the other things that aren't so wonderful about many African cultures.

Of course, the Chinese don't care one whit about the environment either, and I can see the farmers being cool with that because now they can kill any of the local wildlife that happens to threaten their livelihood. People don't get that Cecil was not a big deal in Africa.

As bad as it is those are African problems to solve don't you think??.. could we even stomach a whiff of foreign intervention into our own muck-ups??..I think not.

Do you think they would solve them faster if the rest of the world condemned human rights abuses or if the Chinese came along and provided all of their markets endless access no questions asked?

Maybe maybe not, but lets remove the mote from our own eyes first, this is exactly the kind of thinking that got us involve all over the world, and use as an excuse to extract raw wealth for that continent, Africans have heard that song before.."white man's Burden" when they in fact often excerbate problems rather than solve them, there are counter forces on the ground I say let em tackle their problems as we tackle ours, they are not children.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Argument still stands.

Should Africa be ethnically cleansing? You understand what that means - genocide. And if ethnic cleansing make a place better and less poor, then why on earth is anywhere becoming more diverse on purpose?

It matters not one whit how diverse Africa is vis a vis anywhere else. If diversity is bad, no one should be diversifying their populations.

Understand, I think it's a load of crap and that Africa's problems lie in other areas, but if this study is to be swallowed than you have to swallow a host of other uncomfortable implications along with it.
edit on 24-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Maybe maybe not, but lets remove the mote from our own eyes first, this is exactly the kind of thinking that got us involve all over the world, and use as an excuse to extract raw wealth for that continent, Africans have heard that song before.."white man's Burden" when they in fact often excerbate problems rather than solve them, there are counter forces on the ground I say let em tackle their problems as we tackle ours, they are not children.

All right. Let's assume we completely divest ourselves from Africa.

Will China take up the work of plague duty during the next Ebola outbreak? Will they nurse Africans through their AIDS epidemic? When the next famine hits and we see photos of starving children, will those be broadcast on Chinese TV for the CHinese people to donate money, food, and supplies for?

Or will we still be expected to handle those things, along with our regular disbursements of foreign aid? Just you don't think want we should tell them anything about what we'd like to see in return?
edit on 24-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

The Bolivians may be cash poor but seem to be doing OK.I didn't see poverty and starvation. No Chinese either, just some nice German folk.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

All right. Let's assume we completely divest ourselves from Africa.

Will China take up the work of plague duty during the next Ebola outbreak? Will they nurse Africans through their AIDS epidemic? When the next famine hits and we see photos of starving children, will those be broadcast on Chinese TV for the CHinese people to donate money, food, and supplies for?

Or will we still be expected to handle those things, along with our regular disbursements of foreign aid? Just you don't think want we should tell them anything about what we'd like to see in return?

Fair Trade is what pave the way to development and building infrastructure ,which leads to innovation and the Ebola was stopped dead in it's track by nearby Nigerians of 19 confirmed cases and eight deaths why?? because they had accumulated the means of doing so, and I am not saying when a disaster struck anywhere in the world that other nations can't help out.

Trade not Aid are the key words here.
edit on 24-4-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Great point that trade promotes the means by which they can govern.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Just understand that if you are defending this commie study, that adding significant Chinese trade to Africa will only add more diversity to the population. When ethnic cleansing comes around will those of Chinese descent get spared? I mean they wouldn't want to scare off their Chinese Trade Lords. Less diversity means the ones doing the Trade with Africa turns a blind eye to genocide, which is going on and will continue. This study is justifying that genocide and future ones, even overtly calling for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Wouldn't more trade in Nigeria help the Nigerian government deal with Boko haram?

Can you provide a link to the current ethnic cleansing happening?

Won't technology help future generation connect with the rest of the world?

What about Botswana having the money to build proper infrastructure?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

One place. One place, surrounded by non-democracies.

And we haven't spent 'trillions'...yet

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

You mean the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where the Taliban and Isis are fighting for control or you mean Syria or Libya?

Just trying to be sure here and yes the wars cost us trillions and no they didn't accomplish anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

As what one might call "a bit of a mad lefty", I have to say that I agree with you to an extent. The study is bogus, precisely because it calls out diversity as a cause of a problem, rather than a solution to it.

The problems African nations have should never be simplified by so called intellectuals, because the simple fact of the matter is that the issues affecting the African continent, and the nations comprising the same, are complicated, thorny, entrenched, and have tendrils which have their root outside the continent as much as they have within it.

In short, this appears to be little more than a pair of over educated, and under experienced individuals, partaking of the sort of ego stroking that normally only occurs in the bedrooms of hormonal males in mating season.

It's got bugger all to do with communism, but it is certainly a broad brush nonsense which fails to take into account the fact that Africa's problems have so many facets that no one of them can be considered the main one, or the worst one, or the most difficult one. It's many troubles are heads upon a hydra, all venomous, deadly, savage, no one of them more or less fearsome than the last. Finding the heart of its troubles is going to be the work of more than one pair of soft handed, paper shuffling cretins.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Wow... I can't believe that no one has mentioned that Africans have been robbed by big corporations and governments/kingdoms from the western world since the colonial era.

They instigated the first governments and pushed the people down as laborers, i.e. they were and are practically slaves.
If the western world had just showed the know how from the get-go and taught them the skills and actually had spent resources and manpower to educate them thoroughly so they could do it all themselves they wouldn't be in this situation.

Instead they came in as robbers in the night, instigated control, built corrupted governments which are still in play today and everybody's talking about diversity which is only an offshoot of the problem through propaganda and manipulation by the people in power.

edit on 25/4/16 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: CB328

Tread carefully.

you may run into the hidden data of worldwide IQ scores and that a large part of IQ is genetic. a minimum average IQ of 90 is needed for democracy to function.
Anyone who talks about the data is a racist, and anyone who publishes the data is fired from their post/job.

perhaps 50 years from now the data will be considered and policy changes will be based on this data but it is dangerous to speak of it as of now.

I think that data is true.

But i dont think its based on genetics.

I think its a case that if your brought up malnourished in a culture that looks down on education and revolves around tribalism and violence then IQ are going to be lower.

Nothing to do with whites being superior to blacks.

Just western culture being superior to African.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Exploitation couldn't possibly be largely to blame for any of the problems in Africa or anywhere else in the world where things aren't so great. By the way, before Conservatives get triggered... it's not just white people or Westerners that exploit.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I remember as a child - many MANY years ago, we'd see the appeals on TV every year. The image of some pot bellied, malnourished and fly encrusted African child would be used to tug at the hearstrings as the narrator, in a solemn voice, would tell us how many similar children would die without our much needed contributions.
Hear we are then, 4 decades later, and the only thing that has seemingly changed is the face of the starving child they have chosen as this year's poster child.

In those 4 decades, the amount of money collected year after year must be huge, in just the UK alone. I assume also that most other Western countries ran similar campaigns. With the money donated over that period of time, surely everything across that comtinent should have been fixed by now? But no! It's still as bad as ever apparently!

The aid organizations will show us a school full of smiling kids somewhere in the back of beyond, happy with their new school uniforms, some solar provided electricity and a water pump and hold it up as progress. I'm sorry, but it's nothing more than a token photo op, used to drum up more support from the taxpayers, while the majority of the money is salted away by corrupt officials and large corporations.

Quite simply, as long as there are resources there to be reaped by big Western interests and the banks, then the people will remain poor. The money will instead go to corrupt officials and dictators who can be bribed to sell their country to the highest bidders, and keep the people down and in line. An educated and well fed people are, after all, a potential threat to the system and they might call for such things as democracy and justice!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join