It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End Times vs Prosperity Gospel vs Pope Francis: All "Christians"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The snake handlers and poison drinkers are too extreme, even for the fundamentalists. No self-respecting evangelical would be caught dead among them.

LOL!!! Just re-reading. This made me laugh again, so now, I have to ask - what do the fundamentalists call those people? And what do those people call themselves?

Seriously, is it "Evangelical" vs "Fundamentalist" vs "Pentecostal"? They all sort of get stuffed in that same cubby in my mind.....
What are the similarities and differences?

edit on 4/24/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I find organized religion very similar to the climate change cult

Might be an interesting comparison to explore,

except that climate change is real. Fact. Real and factual.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Seriously, is it "Evangelical" vs "Fundamentalist" vs "Pentecostal"? They all sort of get stuffed in that same cubby in my mind.....
What are the similarities and differences?

You could do with a copy of a book on my shelves called "The small sects of America" (printed in 1938, so not exactly up-to-date).
This divides them up into types. The "Pessimistic or Adventist sects". The "Perfectionist or Subjectivist sects" (such as Methodists). "Communistic sects" (such as Shakers). And "Legalistic or Objectivist sects" (such as the Baptists).
The index of religious bodies spreads over six pages. This is the book where I learned about the existence of snake-handlers, and the foot-washing ceremony.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I find organized religion very similar to the climate change cult

Might be an interesting comparison to explore,

except that climate change is real. Fact. Real and factual.

Ha! You do realize a lot of people say that about their religion? So there is comparison #1.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Raised Episcopalian, really didn't know what I believed until my conscious started bothering me at 24 yrs. of age. I then went on a quest to find out if there was a GOD. Read everything I could find about spiritual matters, had an experience then became a believer. Searched for the truth in organized religion, became involved with the full Gospel movement and saw the hypocrisy, so now I'm just a believer. reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

a reply to: whereislogic

Thanks very much for contributing! May I ask that you type something about the videos, or provide links to text-based information about them....because not everyone can watch videos.

Well, the videos are sort of meant to save me a lot of typing, usually it's already referring to something I said about it. The videos are all about the twists people have played regarding Jehovah and in particular his identity and name. The name obviously being important to know and understand regarding identification as well.

And to understand the bible verse I quoted (for an interesting observation see which bible translations are using the name "Jehovah" on biblehub and which translations aren't). Compare that with what is mentioned regarding the letters "J", "Y" and "I" in one of the videos for even more challenging and paths (roads) of thinking that many people don't want to travel (be a real rebel to the system of things
).

Matthew 7:13,14 (NW):

“Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it.

The 3rd video has more information as to where your confusion comes from since that was also what I was responding to (see what I quoted from you about things getting confusing, the opening verse being quoted in the 1st video also already provides a clue regarding that subject). Just like my quotation from Matthew above is yet another clue why the correct answers to clear it up are hard to find (leading to things getting confusing for those who can't find them, more details also in 1 Corinthians chapter 2). The last text makes a whole lot more sense when reading it in an honest translation (especially the ending), that's why I included the link.

And here's some information regarding your question:

...and how it is unique from others?

In this video the focus should really be on the definitions from the Hebrew dictionary starting at 2:19 - 4:10:

Given the information above, take note that when the word God is used in the video below it is in reference to definition 1 listed in the video above (as opposed to definitions 8 and 9 being more applicable at John 1:1c).

edit on 24-4-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I was speaking of "Islamic" eschatology ie the Hadith... not Christian.

But as a former Catholic I also find Revelation to be a snore fest of unbridled punishment.

I believe we are judged when we pass and that's it.

No climactic earthly retribution.

I do not believe God rolls like that.
edit on 24-4-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

LOL!!! Just re-reading. This made me laugh again, so now, I have to ask - what do the fundamentalists call those people? And what do those people call themselves?

Believe it or not. They call themselves real Christians. They earnestly believe(like most sects) they are the only ones entering through the narrow door. Most Christians on the other hand, call them a cult, if you can imagine that.

They're all birds of a feather, really. The Pentecostals however, are frequently the ones who have strict dress codes, no TV, playing cards, women can't cut their hair, etc. But then, you have some fundie sects like that too. Technically, they're all fundamentalists, because they're all legalistic/literalist in their biblical interpretation.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

They're all birds of a feather, really. The Pentecostals however, are frequently the ones who have strict dress codes, no TV, playing cards, women can't cut their hair, etc. But then, you have some fundie sects like that too. Technically, they're all fundamentalists, because they're all legalistic/literalist in their biblical interpretation.

Okay...thanks for that info...

How are they (or "are they"?) different from the Amish and Mennonites, or the Roman Catholic Latin-mass No-Hair-Cutting thing?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, Ha! I do.

Nevertheless, climate change is real. Religion is not.
Can I help you with something?

Or are you going to post your particular beliefs and compare/contrast them with the beliefs of others, as was requested in the OP?

Climate change is not the topic. Climate change is real.

*eyeroll*

Ha!

The only parallel is that "Christians" are also "real"......there's a degree of education that makes the difference, you see.

Stay on topic, please.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't have any religion, but I do meditation many times a day and believe God, but would rather use name Cosmic Consciousness or Supreme Consciousness. I feel his presence in my life constantly like spiritual vibration. I don't see any doomsday rather spiritual awakening happening. This might describe the life of us who meditate; ______beforeitsnews/spirit/2016/04/god-is-one-names-are-many-whom-to-follow-2501432.html

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The index of religious bodies spreads over six pages. This is the book where I learned about the existence of snake-handlers, and the foot-washing ceremony.

Wow, thank you! That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!!

Small Sects in America, 1938. Revised Edition

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mikefunctions

Thanks, mike! Welcome to ATS. Glad you joined.....
hope you stick around!!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Okay, so - I guess people who can't/don't watch videos online can check your past posts.
Thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey BuzzyWigs ( btw.. love your new avatar !.. Awesome!)

Religion in my family was not really spoken of ( meaning i was not raised to believe in anything) I was baptized as a baby as a Lutheran Christian which has been a normal procedure to have a name. In Scandinavia Lutheran is the most common doctorine of christian belief.. it is quite ripped off from anything decorative you see in catholic churches etc and is very ascetic.
My first touch with belief came with my grandmother´s sister who were also my godmother. She was a believer and took her oath, which Godparents give during baby christening to help parents to grow child so that child is raised in christian faith, very seriously. She put me to sunday school and gave the basic knowledge of being a christian. We made trips with my godmother to monasteries ( orthodox, catholic) . At School we had couple hours religion lessons a week. Maybe my godmother made me curious about religion which my parents never spoke of.

I was fascinated by religions in general and was one of my graduation subjects too. I didn´t consider myself as a believer then but more like a nosy, inquisitive student. My father is atheist.. not sure is he atheist nowadays ( as we don´t talk about religion in close family ) but i have noticed he doesn´t swear as much anymore.. maybe the age.
My Father´s lineage there are catholics and jews.. and most of them priests.. fathers and sons. I am not sure is this why my father has been atheist.

In Scandinavia religion is very much a decision of invidual ( there are some sects and fundalistic people too who have strict ways to raise their kids inside the "religious system".. but these are few ) . I would like to say we were never forced to believe and most of us have the choice to make their own minds.

I myself have not taught my kid to be religious either i think it is his choice when he grows older, He also have his few hours a week at school lesson of religion. I have taught him ethics how to treat others and be a good boy. Hubby is also Lutheran and both of his grandparents sides there is Orthodox christians too. He is not very religious but when going to church ( baptism, funerals, weddings ) he is most respectful.

I do admit my faith has increased during the years and i value that it was my own decision and no one elses.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
That's the one. (My copy cost me ten pence from a second-hand book-shop)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

What beliefs are those? I already know what you believe my beliefs are. You are very good at telling me about them all the time in various threads.

I think my favorite was all about how I went to a Christian college.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

ketsuko,

If you want to be understood, now is your chance. You can choose not to do so, of course, if you like.....whichever way you go, you'll have no one to blame but yourself for how others see you.

I know you went to K-State. I know you bullied other female players in your team-sports....I know you fancy yourself a genius, and your husband even more advanced than you - and that you say your kid "is a beast." I won't get into your political leanings here - although if you want, parenting kinda comes in to the religious denomination thing and we could get away with discussing that....

anyway, so - are you keen to enlighten us about what you do think and who you see yourself as?

Does it matter to you what others think you believe? If others are mistaken about what you think, by all means, set them/us straight! I'm not intimidated by you or your husband.
The OP stands. Explain your own beliefs, or don't. Compare your own beliefs to other denominations, or don't.

For whatever difference it makes: choose to expound, or don't. I'm really mostly interested in hearing out those who want to review their own beliefs, think about them in relation to other beliefs, compare and contrast, think it over and share; who try to find a common ground.
/shrug

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Hey, doll!! Thanks for your post.
(I like the new avy, too - it reminded me of you, actually! I especially love how her sleeves match her stockings...matches the sig well, I think)

On my dad's side, I am half Finnish, half Lutheran German/Vohynian/Polish.....

on Mom's side, her family (Germans also) were Catholic, but an untoward marriage and subsequent divorce excommunicated the pertinent ancestors, so we 'switched' to Anglican (long live King Henry VIII!)....

lol.
Anyway - listening to Eddie Izzard now - "Dress to Kill", a worthwhile watch by all means, and on topic, too!!!

See you all tomorrow!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join