It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will a baseline income change who you are?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
So I'm listening to the last Joe Rogan podcast and this question came up weather directly in the conversation or indirectly because of the conversation I forget.

Would a baseline income change who you are?

For me the answer is simple. A baseline income would be a serious motivator where I could use my free time to attack an education as seriously as possible. First I would get a tutor and get caught up on all my basic remedial skills so I could clep all my math and language arts classes and get right into the programming phase. I'm very interested in AI and robotics and it's the future if you ask me. I would use all of my extra money getting tutored in order to stay up with class because I have a hard time focusing on a classroom setting but I excel unusually in 1 on 1.

The baseline income would not make me lazy and sit on the couch.

And honestly if that's what you chose to do with your baseline income I wouldn't care because eventually I think people would get up out of boredom and get into something.

And wow I just had a realization. We have an example of what baseline incomes can do to people in the Native American community.. Allow me to find a link.

source

What precisely did the income change? Ongoing interviews with both parents and children suggested one variable in particular. The money, which amounted to between one-third and one-quarter of poor families’ income at one point, seemed to improve parenting quality.

Wow! I didn't even think of that! What an amazing net gain for that culture that parents were able to devout more time to their children on such a paltry income!

Another analysis, meanwhile, found that more accidental deaths occurred during those months, once or twice a year, when the tribe disbursed supplements. The authors attributed that, in part, to increased drinking, as well as to buying cars and traveling more

So from what I can see giving people money will be just like giving someone alcohol... You get to see what's really going on inside.

I think it would be a great idea because I bet there are game changer people out there who could really do good with just a little help.

The people eating and drinking on the couch?

They don't matter I'm more worried about the game changers I'll sacrifice ten thousand couch eaters for 1 game changer.

- ps. Joe we know your watching and learning from us thanks for the podcast.

edit on 4/20/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
No, just make me larger.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm with you on a living wage situation when people are working. I'm not for giving people money just for existing. It won't work in today's society.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Why not?

I'm not commit to either side of this one I need more information.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

How about this...

Answer the headline question for me on a personal level?
Z

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Does a base line income change who we are? well;

Does homelessness change we are
Does winning lotto or inheriting money change who are
Does getting into a permanent relationship change who we are
Does going down the rabbit hole of govt conspiracy, NWO, depopulation agenda, medical conspiracy change who we are?
Does getting addicted to narcotic drugs change who you are?

Well clearly yes, they all do. Dozens of things change us so why would a base line income not change us?

The question is how does it change us is whats important, its how we react to it. Does it improve us or does it or do something else to us?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Why not?

I'm not commit to either side of this one I need more information.

For a society to flourish it needs upkeep. If everyone is sitting at home getting paid, who will maintain things?

link   
a reply to: Azureblue

So answer that question for yourself.

What would it do for you?

I realize that's not the true reality of what would happen as people are raised into the system hey will have different motivations I just find this to be a very curious topic.

link   

How about this...

Z

My employees made more than me last year.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

have we forgotten to establish what a baseline income means before discussing it?

What if we go off of the example in the article?

What would you do with a baseline income?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

How about this...

Z

My employees made more than me last year.

Your a real boss then.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Everyone's biggest complaint with the idea is "Where will the money come from?" followed by grumblings of "if someone does not maintain infrastructure we all fail by implementing this".

We have private interests dying to get into space and the government has had a secret footprint up there for some time now. Start mining and develop new space industries to pay off national debt then implement the basic universal income.

If we get less people willing to make your egg muffin and detail your guzzler who cares we need less useless production and consumption as it stands and if humanity collectively slows the # down and looks at the actual reality of our current state here on earth maybe we could stop screwing the poodle on an equal playing field.
edit on 20-4-2016 by stabstab because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2016 by stabstab because: sausage fingers

edit on 20-4-2016 by stabstab because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   

It's inevitable that a Government controlled baseline income will happen. The more automated our world becomes the more our lives become easier and less human work will be needed. Only specialty jobs will be a thing.
I wouldn't mind a baseline income, if it sustains a livable comfortable life style, ie a house, transportation, fresh food, and some left to save for a splurge item, then Yea bring it on. But I guess I am a minimalist to a certain extent. A lot of people will find a way to make their set income bigger. Capitalism has its talons to far into society right now.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

Well... We already don't need everyone to work.

It's already a reality. We have 100 million not working people in the US alone.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

A baseline income doesn't mean capitalism doesn't exist.

Like I said before I'm not really for or against it in just discussing it at this point because I think it's going to be mainstream very soon.
edit on 4/20/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

So answer that question for yourself.

What would it do for you?

I realize that's not the true reality of what would happen as people are raised into the system hey will have different motivations I just find this to be a very curious topic.

To answer your question. I am too old these days to be to heavily influenced by the sudden influx of a large sum of money but security and peace of mind and the ability to help some others would be the biggest benefits for me.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Would the extra security influence you in a negetivity way?

Would you drink more or get fat?

Would you stop working or would you stop working and put more effort into your hobbies?

What hobbies do you have?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

have we forgotten to establish what a baseline income means before discussing it?

It sounds to me like a minimum wage, I'm not really familiar with this baseline income idea. I'd rather you explain it in simple terms to me rather than finding a Joe Rogan podcast of it to try to dissect.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Interesting. Will more money make you more motivated? I had a good-paying job as a manager for retail but it was stressful and I always came home upset. After twenty years I finally quit to pursue a dream of working for myself.

I now only make half of what I used to. However, I am much happier and practically stress-free. I am also healthier. And friends see a change for the better.

Will a baseline income change you and motivate you? Maybe. But Loving what you do is a big motivator.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Probably no.

I'd just pocket it and carry on working.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join