It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Suggests Bedbugs May Be Getting Stronger.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
As if we didn't have enough problemms to worry about, ATS. Now researchers in Australia are saying that bed bugs are getting stronger and more resistant to pesticides. This strength is due to a thicker skin which seems to be appearing on Bed bugs these days according to the article.

Researchers in Australia found the bedbugs with a thicker “skin” are more resistant to common pesticides. The pests are becoming more prevalent, and the scientists hypothesized that these thicker exoskeletons could be one reason why. The study, published in the journal Plos One on Wednesday, found that the thicker the exoskeleton, or cuticle, of a bedbug, the more time it took to “knock down” the insect — which was defined as the bugs not being able to get back up when they were stunned or knocked out by pesticides. “The new findings reveal that one way bed bugs beat insecticides is by developing a thicker ‘skin,’” David Lily, a PhD candidate at the University of Sydney and a co-author of the study, said in a statement.

"Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite..." Now we should say "Sleep tight and dream of a new way to kill bed bugs..." What says ATS?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

what is that saying...nature always finds a way.....this is certainly not good, but adaptation does make sense....what the heck can we do about it......

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

what is that saying...nature always finds a way.....this is certainly not good, but adaptation does make sense....what the heck can we do about it......

Well, of course there's a limit to how strong we can make bug and insect killers before they are strong enough to kill a person. Same with plant killers....Most sprays and traps are dangerous to humans nowadays already.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Figures it would come out of OZ.
Hope they don't develops poison fangs.

Maybe mate them with wimpy bed bugs?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I don't know what to say! I won't sleep tonight!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Evolution ... what can you do? Except hope future human generations grow thicker, anti-bed bug skin, too ...

in the mean time, let the little guys feed... whats the big deal about a little welt/ itch?

Could be worse... could be Bot Flies.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
" Bed bugs are getting stronger " A bed bug was seen carrying a Queen size bed today...previously the largest bed reported to have been moved by a bed bug was only a full size bed.....scientists believe that soon even King size beds will not be immune to being carried off by bed bugs.

Sorry I couldn't help making the joke

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
On the bright side, given bedbug mating practices, if their skin gets too thick, it might interfere with their ability to mate with each other.

The male bedbug literally stabs the female in her body cavity and injects sperm. Maybe what they're seeing isn't an adaption to pesticide as much as it is the female reaction to bedbug rape culture.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Evolution ... what can you do? Except hope future human generations grow thicker, anti-bed bug skin, too ...

in the mean time, let the little guys feed... whats the big deal about a little welt/ itch?

Could be worse... could be Bot Flies.

The big deal?

I am hypersensitive to itch. I have been known to scratch myself raw. The last time I had a really bad infestation of chigger bites, I got so desperate over the itch that I was caught actually burning myself over the spots to try to stop the itch. In other words, the raw feeling of burned skin was preferable to the itch which was driving me mad.

The last time I had a chigger in the crook of my knee, I was so allergic to it that one bite swelled up to the size of a lemon on the back of my knee and it took prescription medications to control the itch from just one bite.

But, yeah, it's just an itchy spot. Who cares?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sorry about your sensitive dermis... I have one, too. Skeeters leave a catastrophe behind and I remember chiggers from when I lived in greener climes.

So, I was kidding, as bed bugs (etc) are ICKY and as much as I try to be a 'live and let live' guy, they can die... and if they suffer a tad, then I won't lose sleep over it. Same for skeeters... flies (Bot or not) and roaches. I'll include certain microorganisms in my death wish, too.

But bugs (or anything) feeding on folks while they slumber and leaving one an itchy, disgusting wreck? Horrible.

Better?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

This is odd. It's been known for years that they're highly resistant to pesticides. So much so that any product claiming to control bedbugs is pretty much fraudulent. DDT was effective.

Most control is done through application of high temperatures or even freezing. Compressed CO2 flash freezes them. Heat is more comprehensive coverage though. They use large heaters to treat whole rooms.

I do an inspection the moment I check in to a hotel... very nasty and hard to eradicate.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Stronger bedbugs.
Pfft. I'm stronger than a thousand bedbugs.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Of course, they have been eating GMO.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: forthelove

Of course, they have been eating GMO.
Me too. So, I'm getting stronger too?

new topics

top topics