It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Egyptian Goddess Isis, Found in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So as most people know who actually did study history, our major contributions toward modern day society is in fact due to a " mysterious and mythical trading route " Well actually its a merchant route that was important before our aviation contributions, now its just a remnant.

This maritime trade reached a peak during the time of Jesus, necessitating the construction of a small Greco-Roman merchant colony to manage the extensive trade between India and the Roman Empire. This colony was sufficiently large to justify the building of a Roman temple, which is clearly shown on ancient maps. The precise location of Musiris has hitherto been one of the secrets of the classical world.

edit: Famcore provided link
edit on 14-4-2016 by Mannegishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Mannegishi

Great find - the link you shared seems to be somewhat of a "snapshot"

This is the direct link to article
www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There have always been snake oil salesmen.

People have always believed that the grass is greener where the other guy is standing, and that the other guy has the inside track.

We were gullible then, and we are gullible now.

The truth is out there. Number one problem? We believe what we want to believe.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think this is pretty speculative. There were Romans there, hence there may have been an Isis cult. Well, maybe.

The article mentions Gananath Obeyesekere, an anthropologist with whose work I am familiar. I'm pretty sure he hasn't written anything about an Isis cult in India.

As for ISIS in India, well, that's another story. A scary one.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Im pretty sure the same religion was far and wide through the equator

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

What makes you so?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Lets call it cultural dogma along the trading route

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
ISIS is pronounced EASE-US.

ISIS and JESUS are the same thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IamSandSHEisB
ISIS is pronounced EASE-US.

ISIS and JESUS are the same thing.

It's actually pronounced "Aset." You may be thinking of the Latinized spelling of Jesus. In any case, the two deities are very different.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A little known part of history, indeed.

To the Romans (think of them as hardcore modern Republican conservatives), the Egyptians (who looked like a bunch of 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll' hippies to the Egyptians) were both fascinated and a bit suspicious. Just picture my Tennessee born military father in the 1940's meeting a bunch of Puerto-Rican born 1970's tree hugging feminists and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the two cultures were like and how they felt about each other.

Conservative values met a fun-loving people who were fairly egalitarian who'd been ground under centuries of a conqueror's heel and the conservatives were scared. They first decided to call the rent due on Egypt and turn it into a place where they could send the "no good lazy bums in the slums" to work. Then they simply put it under a military government and it became a prize to be toyed with.

But Egyptians went to Rome and other places as well, and when they traveled they took their religion. Isis and Osiris were popular deities thanks to Plutarch's version of the Isis and Osiris tale. She was seen as the perfect wife and perfect mother and he was seen as a wise and compassionate ruler. In addition, Isis was said to answer the prayers of anybody.

Her priests had a reputation for being trustworthy - you could leave an object at the temple of Isis for someone and it would be there days or years later. Temples to Isis were found all over the Roman Empire. There's one in London, in fact.
edit on 14-4-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Interesting ... thanks for that info

I find it compelling that a comparison can be drawn between Isis and Mary
Most compelling to me is their shared Immaculate conception of a Son ... though the details of the "magical" conception vary a lot in their detail.

The idea of immaculate conception is the common theme ... but what does it really represent in reality
Isis is identified with Sirius and her Son Horus is identified with the Sun

I believe many of these mythological stories are remnants of ancient lost knowledge ... but I best leave it at that

Ancient Egypt is a most fascinating subject for sure

edit on 14-4-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

Interesting ... thanks for that info

I find it compelling that a comparison can be drawn between Isis and Mary
Most compelling to me is their shared Immaculate conception of a Son ... though the details of the "magical" conception vary a lot in their detail.

Err... Isis was a married woman and was (among other things) a sex goddess. She and Osiris had sex (the Egyptians weren't fussy about this.) It was hardly an immaculate conception.

The images of Isis and Horus are similar to Mary and Jesus - a case of the Christians (and everyone else) swiping beloved images of a popular goddess and reworking it into their religion. The images of Isis and baby Horus go back to at least 1600 BC (and likely before.... you could look that one up.)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Err... Isis was a married woman and was (among other things) a sex goddess. She and Osiris had sex (the Egyptians weren't fussy about this.) It was hardly an immaculate conception.

According to the common Myth ... Set murdered Osiris (his brother) in a fit of jealousy and chopped his body into 13 pieces and hid them
Isis cut off her hair in grief and went in search of Osiris (Her lover and brother)
She found the body parts apart from his penis
Which she fashioned one made from gold after stealing the secrets of life from Atum the Creator.

This is why I say it is an immaculate conception ... Osiris was dead but Isis resurrected him and bore a child by him (Horus) who when grown avenged his father's death

new topics

top topics

join