It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk Says SpaceX ‘City on Mars’ Will Be Announced in Guadalajara, Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What's next for Elon Musk? The announcement of his Martian Space Colony for starters.

In the final moments of the post-launch press conference, Musk confirmed that he’ll be giving a talk at the International Aeronautical Conference (IAC) in Guadalajara, Mexico this September and that’s when he’ll make the much-anticipated announcements. “I thought that would be a good venue to describe what we think would be a good approach,” he said when prompted by the Observer. “Something that would be effective for establishing a city on Mars.” Such a statement isn’t to be taken lightly especially by a man who just pre-sold over 276,000 Tesla Model 3 electric cars, landed a 14-story tall rocket on a wobbly ship in the ocean, and even sent a spacecraft to dock with the International Space Station—all in a matter of weeks.

Now that SpaceX has successfully landed a return rocket on land and on sea, Musk is putting his focus back on Mars....I've got my focus on SpaceX. What says ATS?

observer.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm on board! Pun intended.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Me me me me....Pick me....

THAT SPOT IS..

wait for it..............

MINE

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm an environmental scientist with a penchant for field expedient repairs. While I'm not a botanist like Matt Damon, I *did* minor in botany.

Direct me to an application, please! I'll gladly go, and I am well aware it would be a long time until I can come back to Earth, if ever. Worth it to be one of the first colonists.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
SpaceX has been competing with Mars One on this issue for some time now. There's even information available comparing the funds set aside by the two projects for their respective Mars colony programs. I see no reason to announce a thing over and over again only to finally...announce it. I can only assume SpaceX's colony will have at least twelve redundancies for every system. Luckily for Elon Musk I've got a whole bunch of tools, know how to properly use most of them, and am absolutely willingly to maintain all the doohickeys and whatchamacallits on Mars which he needs duct taped.

To be completely serious though, Musk used the term "city," not colony. I'd be very interested to know just what it is he has planned, and if the deadlines he's already long set and publicized for this "unannounced" program are still intact. Interesting too that the SpaceX's deadlines are relatively the same set by Mars One, NASA's manned Mars mission, NASA's proposed Lunar colony mission, Russia's proposed Lunar colony mission, and the time period which myriad scientists are saying they for some reason expect contact with extraterrestrials. Sounds like some very interesting times are ahead, or is a nightmarish series of letdowns.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Navarro

Unlike Mars One at least they won't make it a reality show, though I admit I WOULD watch such a show if it's about going to Mars...

I just hope they won't make it fake like the moon landing and land in Iceland instead.

edit on 14-4-2016 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Real life Tony Stark.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'll be the first one to say it then, happily...

ELON MUSK IS AN ASSHOLE!

He squanders taxpayer money to sell TOYS to the rich. Which Tesla cars are no.more than a toy. They are really no different than owning a Lamborghini. Ya can't go far in it, it basically costs a fortune and the waste it creates is just as bad as fossil fuel cars, if not worse. Ask yourself how clean an aluminum or lithium mining operation is. A bit toxic and radioactive to boot. And imagine that, Afghanistan is found to have the richest lithium deposits ever found....hmmmmmm.

Also, Tesla is funded...sorry, subsidized... by governments because it produces "green tech". So basically holding a gun to the taxpayers head so the rich can be extra douchy and drive "clean" cars and get clearance to HOV lanes. If he and the government were truly in love with the environment they would find ways to reduce the amount of vehicles on the road and invest in mass transit and infrastructure.... Things that will last...but of course, no, that doesn't play into the consumer culture this assbackwards world we live in masturbates to. I'll give him credit for attempting the hyperloop.

Ever hear of one of Tesla's competition though? Elio Motors has a car which while a bit more than a comfortable reverse tricycle, if boasts 84mpg+ with a starting price of $6800 USD. A bit more realistic, yet never heard of and they certainly don't hold a gun to the taxpayers head to make it all work. Probably because it doesn't utilize "green tech" and has a very high efficiency gas engine. Therefore not getting the praise of the greenies and the government. Pun intended.

And back to being "green" (which ain't easy as per Kermit)...wtf do people think these rockets do to the environment?

Why leave earth in shambles and try and, again, get the elite to part take in the colonization of another place? I mean, I'm all for these jackasses leaving the planet, but at what cost to our environment and the people it will displace due to further inequality and environmental degradation through ignorance, greed and above all egos?

Indeed, landing a rocket vertically on a barge at sea is remarkable. But I would be more impressed with reversing the plight and overall inequality on this planet before we try again on another one.
edit on thpamThu, 14 Apr 2016 07:34:05 -0500k1604America/Chicago1434 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Soo.....

Lets do it...

Build a frikkin HUGE ship....

And send em all of...
That way, you can have your "clean" world for yourself...
And IF im alowed to "tag" along id gladly wipe their feets
or do their laundry...

oh oh oh...
I vonlontere to scrub "the manifold intakes" or "plasma
injectors"... Just leme ride with ya...
edit on 2016/4/14 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Still waiting for private manned orbital spacelight... When they achieve that, then I'll give all these plans and anouncements any weight.
edit on 14-4-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just pr/ego trip nonsense from a billionaire who has nothing better to do.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Is it before or after he nukes Mars to "warm it up"? The guy is a showman. He may as well run as Trump's vice prez for all I care! Oh, and get Stephan Hawking to announce it. Why not? Go whole hog. Anything worth doing is worth doing right!

edit on 14-4-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Most green idea do have backing by the tax payers. I how ever support Elon and Tesla open source every thing they do it free to the market to use. So its not like the Gm Ford backing that tax payers are supporting and keeping everything a secret for corporate reasons. Plus its a bunch of jobs in the US.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

The guy is a visionary, he's working along time towards the electric car and his space program started in 2002 an in 2001 he already dreamed about Mars to build an oasis on Mars just like the you see in the movie the Martian.

I admire people who are so driven about space to use a detour to achieve his goals , this man will be the first who will set a man on Mars , mark my words ...

edit on 0b57America/ChicagoThu, 14 Apr 2016 19:11:57 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 14 Apr 2016 19:11:57 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
When the first group gets to Mars, we will finally realize how unprepared we are.

I dont see this happening in a certifiable manner. The first group is going to die. How do you send the next group without guaranteeing their safety.

The first group is going to go based on theories that nobody can "prove" wrong. After the first group dies it is up to Space X or whoever to prove it wont happen again. Good luck with that.

The only way I see this working is a mass exodus under complete desperation. Send 100,000 or so all at once. Most will die, some might make it and find a way to survive.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

It's true that the first group's safety will not be guaranteed. But nothing in space travel is guaranteed. Armstrong and Aldrin's safety wasn't guaranteed on Apollo 11 (Armstrong ballparked their chances of landing and returning safely, having completed the mission, at about 50%), but the mission was still sent.

I don't believe that the first group - even a SpaceX group - would be sent to stay. I think the first missions will probably be relatively short "sortie" missions to identify good sites for future expeditions and colonies. Most models for Mars missions assume either short (~30 day) or relatively long (~18 month) surface stays. If I had to bet, I'd guess that the first missions will include several short missions to possible colony sites to identify their pros and cons, followed by longer missions to the site/sites which are most promising to build up the infrastructure needed to support large groups permanently/semi-permanently.

These first groups will undoubtedly uncover challenges which may delay permanent colonies, perhaps even delay them indefinitely. For example, the large amounts of perchlorates recently found in Martian soil could pose serious long term health hazards to colonists.

The first missions will be dangerous, but there is no reason to suggest that the first groups of humans to go to Mars will undoubtedly die.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
When the first group gets to Mars, we will finally realize how unprepared we are.

I dont see this happening in a certifiable manner. The first group is going to die. How do you send the next group without guaranteeing their safety.

The first group is going to go based on theories that nobody can "prove" wrong. After the first group dies it is up to Space X or whoever to prove it wont happen again. Good luck with that.

The only way I see this working is a mass exodus under complete desperation. Send 100,000 or so all at once. Most will die, some might make it and find a way to survive.

You are wrong, it will be completely certifiable. Probes, robots, sensors will pave way for unmanned deliveries of habitats, by the time the first humans arrive there will be return vehicles and a flow of stores already en route unmanned.

The first years will be establishing the colony, essentially builders and electricians moving all the unmanned modules and connecting them up and building facilities to 3D print repairs, produce water, produce electricity and gather all unmanned deliveries into stores and what not for long term survival, that and scientists. I also suspect drilling teams will drill deep and see what they find.

I doubt we will ever see enough potato plants to feed a colony but if we can make water up there, dehydrated food, cereals, oats etc. will be the staple diet whilst the 'botanist' works out what will grow.

Thanks to Elon, Telstra batteries MK10 will be storing solar and wind generation for night time.

By the time the second fleet arrive, more of the same but establishing things in abundance to support a colony, workshops, brick works, glass works, sewerage, even excavating large land to create greenhouses perhaps or subterranean habitats and mining, removing the need to ship so much raw material from Earth.

The third fleet will be workers to run these works and more scientists, construction workers and more modules from Earth to assist in developing what the scientist find, of course we may have new power plants from Lockheed by then so power won't be an issue, foundries, a hotel complex.

Whilst this is going on, a space station above Earth and one above Mars will be built, it's job will be take people from SSTO craft to a Hub whilst they ready for the Mars shuttle and similar at Mars transfer to a landing / return craft.

What is there to do on a Mars holiday? You can tour the new colony, go on day trips to the Mars museum, visit the mines, go to the lookouts for a night under the stars or to watch a sunset/sunrise.

No travel is guaranteed though, even cruise ships still run aground 400 years since we started sailing!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Elon is a schmuck. No original ideas with all that cash flow. Making pennies on the dollar based off someone elses ethereal flow.

Give it a decade before that cash grab goes broke and bankrupt.

top topics

join