It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Zombie Fest...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I've always wanted to write a 'My Favorite Zombie movies' thread. I'm sure some will see their favorites and some will say "hey buddy, you missed/forgot to add XYZ"

So, bare with me...

Once upon a time, many moons ago, [That's like a really really long time ago for you young-ins] One Halloween night after terrorizing the L.A. Neighborhood I grew up in for Treats. I came home and plopped myself down in front of the Television and turned to a creepy sounding old Black and White rerun from 1968. I was about 9 to 10 at the time, never heard of Zombies but from that moment on, I was hooked! Yes, slayer was a chubby freckled faced kid...

Now, I'm not going to be posting full movie links to every Zombie flick I love. But will rather, Post mostly links to descriptions and allow you, if interested, to find them on your own. But some are readily available for your viewing pleasure. I'll just post some movies or their trailers from here on out but, Before we begin here are a couple of people you should know...

George A. Romero

George Andrew Romero (/rəˈmɛroʊ/; born February 4, 1940) is an American filmmaker and editor, best known for his series of gruesome and satirical horror films about a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, beginning with Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Tom Savini

Thomas Vincent "Tom" Savini (born November 3, 1946) is an American actor, stuntman, director, and award-winning special make-up effects creator.[1] He is known for his makeup and special effects work on many films directed by George A. Romero, including Martin, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Creepshow and Monkey Shines; he also created the special effects and makeup for many cult classics like Friday the 13th (parts I and IV), Maniac, The Burning, The Prowler and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Savini directed Night of the Living Dead, the 1990 remake of Romero's 1968 Night of the Living Dead;[2] his other directing work include three episodes of the TV show Tales from the Darkside and one segment in The Theatre Bizarre. As an actor and stuntman, he has appeared in films such as Martin, Dawn of the Dead, Knightriders, From Dusk till Dawn, Planet Terror, Machete, Django Unchained and Machete Kills.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

A group of people hide from bloodthirsty zombies in a farmhouse.
Director: George A. Romero
Writers: John A. Russo (screenplay) (as John Russo), George A. Romero (screenplay) (as George Romero)
Stars: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman

In 1978, George Romeo released his highly anticipated sequel to his 1968 cult classic. Dawn of the Dead, This one I didn't get to see when it was first released, I didn't get that pleasure til a few years later when I was in high school, a friend of mine won four tickets on a local Radio station call in to see a midnight screening of the movie at the local theater. I thought it was awesome. Even though we were all scared stupid walking home down the railroad tracks at 3 am after the movie....

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia S.W.A.T. team members, a traffic reporter, and his television executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.
Writer: George A. Romero
Stars: David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger

Shortly after Dawn of the Dead's release, another Zombie movie made it's rounds at the time called "Zombie" here in the States, Also known as 'Zombi 2' abroad. Now this one, I WAS able to talk my Dad of all people into taking me and my sister to go see at the theater. He being reluctant but a fan of Horror, finally gave in and wow, I was totally into it. My sister on the other hand, thought it was stupid and gave her an upset stomach

Zombie (1979) Zombi 2 (original title)

Strangers looking for a woman's father arrive at a tropical island where a doctor desperately searches for the cause and cure of a recent epidemic of the undead.
Director: Lucio Fulci
Writer: Elisa Briganti
Stars: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Richard Johnson

Day of the Dead (1985)

A small group of military officers and scientists dwell in an underground bunker as the world above is overrun by zombies.
Stars: Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Joseph Pilato

28 Days Later... (2002)

Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary.
Director: Danny Boyle
Writer: Alex Garland
Stars: Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

A man decides to turn his moribund life around by winning back his ex-girlfriend, reconciling his relationship with his mother, and dealing with an entire community that has returned from the dead to eat the living.
Director: Edgar Wright
Writers: Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright
Stars: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield |

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall.
Director: Zack Snyder
Writers: George A. Romero, James Gunn (screenplay)
Stars: Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer |

The Horde (2009)

An end of the world battle between gangsters, cops and zombies.
Directors: Yannick Dahan, Benjamin Rocher
Writers: Arnaud Bordas (scenario), Yannick Dahan (scenario) | 3 more credits »
Stars: Claude Perron, Jean-Pierre Martins, Eriq Ebouaney

Zombieland (2009)

A shy student trying to reach his family in Ohio, a gun-toting tough guy trying to find the last Twinkie, and a pair of sisters trying to get to an amusement park join forces to travel across a zombie-filled America.
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Writers: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson

The Dead (2010)

An American mercenary, the sole survivor of a plane crash, has to run the gauntlet across Africa, battling with the living dead.
Directors: Howard J. Ford, Jonathan Ford (as Jon Ford)
Writers: Howard J. Ford, Jonathan Ford
Stars: Rob Freeman, Prince David Oseia, David Dontoh

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Honorable mentions...

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

When two bumbling employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, the vapors cause the dead to rise again as zombies.
Director: Dan O'Bannon
Writers: Rudy Ricci (story), John A. Russo (story) (as John Russo) | 2 more credits »
Stars: Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa

Return of the Living Dead II (1988)

Curious kids unearth the barrels that helped revive the dead of the first film, which proves the second time's an undead charm.
Director: Ken Wiederhorn
Writer: Ken Wiederhorn
Stars: James Karen, Thom Mathews, Michael Kenworthy |

Land of the Dead (2005)

The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation.
Stars: John Leguizamo, Asia Argento, Simon Baker

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Six months after the rage virus was inflicted on the population of Great Britain, the US Army helps to secure a small area of London for the survivors to repopulate and start again. But not everything goes to plan.
Director: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Writers: Rowan Joffe (screenplay), Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (screenplay) | 2 more credits »
Stars: Jeremy Renner, Rose Byrne, Robert Carlyle

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

The unburied dead return to life and seek human victims.
Director: Tom Savini
Writers: John A. Russo (earlier screenplay), George A. Romero (earlier screenplay) | 1 more credit »
Stars: Tony Todd, Patricia Tallman, Tom Towles

Well, I hope that sustains you Zombie nuts until next season of The Walking Dead.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How could you forget Dead Snow ?

You ain't seen a zombie flick until you seen Nazi zombies!

edit on 7-4-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
By coincidence I was watching Wyrmwood* again last night and it's an undervalued classic in the genre. It's probably Top 10 for me.

Amen to Neo's rec on Dead Snow as a similarly cool, funny and low budget diamond

* full movie is on YT in a grainy version

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If I may add a brilliant horror-comedy to your fine list of zombie flicks

Braindead (also known as "Dead Alive") (1992)

A young man's mother is bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey. She gets sick and dies, at which time she comes back to life, killing and eating dogs, nurses, friends, and neighbors.
Director: Peter Jackson
Writers: Stephen Sinclair (story), Stephen Sinclair (screenplay)
Stars: Timothy Balme, Diana Peñalver, Elizabeth Moody

(Oh gosh, it's so New Zealand, they -had- to put sheep in the trailer!)
edit on 7 4 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Classics.

edit on 7-4-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I love the zombie genre as an art form and as a metaphor.

I would like to expand on this, but it will have to wait for later, I'm busy right now but will be back and wanted to bookmark this forum.

Thanks for bringing it up!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Some cool soundtracks

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Good list so far. Check out this one:
Night of the Creeps

Alien brain parasites, entering humans through the mouth, turn their host into a killing zombie. Some teenagers start to fight against them.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Here's a gem

Fido

Weird but good like a zombie movie should be.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
For those of us who are avid Jane Austen fans, I bring you:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies !

edit on 7-4-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was going to add Zombie Flesh Eaters to the list, but realised it is Zombi 2.

The original Day of the Dead is possibly the best Zombie movie ever made!

Captain Rhodes has the best lines...and who doesn't like Bub?!

edit on 7-4-2016 by AbdulAlhazred because: Remove vids that I cant get to work even though I did exactly what has always worked in the past. Weird Huh?

(Video contains naughty words)

edit on 7-4-2016 by AbdulAlhazred because: Got 1 of them working!

edit on 7-4-2016 by AbdulAlhazred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
They made a part two to The Dead. Set in India. It was as good as the first one.

Cooties is another good one. Like Shaun of the Dead. And Juan of the dead is good too.
I've been a zombie movie fan for over 30 years. And became a zombie movie buff recently. I've pretty much seen em all. Even the bad ones.

new topics

top topics

join