It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities begin to challenge a bedrock of justice: They’re paying criminals not to kill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

But when Holmes was released from prison last year, officials in this city offered something unusual to try to keep him alive: money. They began paying Holmes as much as $1,000 a month not to commit another gun crime.

Cities across the country, beginning with the District of Columbia, are moving to copy Richmond’s controversial approach because early indications show it has helped reduce homicide rates.

Cities begin to challenge a bedrock of justice: They’re paying criminals not to kill

Just so depressing when I come across stuff like this. Seems like the lunacy just never ends...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gumbico

This is cool. A voice from the very distant past with only 16 stars. Please ... allow me to add another ... and break that flag cherry to boot. Ooohrah!!

ETA: I wonder if I could get paid too? I have lots of guns. They should pay me more.

edit on 2832016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

This is cool. A voice from the very distant past with only 16 stars. Please ... allow me to add another ... and break that flag cherry to boot. Ooohrah!!

ETA: I wonder if I could get paid too? I have lots of guns. They should pay me more.

Well, look at our public school system my friend.....

Who are the real serfs in this day and age. Those of us who abide by the laws or those who break them....sigh

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

How about we pay hoodrats NOT to have children? That would solve the problem...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Butt then they wouldn't exactly be hoodratz anymore, now would they? We'd have trouble pointing them out and saying 'things' about them.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's official.
Crime does pay. And in installments.

FFS
edit on 28-3-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I wonder if tax payers aware of the spendings, or they are so busy of providing for their families so they can not lift their head from the sand?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Sounds like reverse extortion to me, turns "pay me before I kill someone" to "we will pay you not to kill someone" good logic

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

We tried. The conservatives called it welfare though and refused to allow it on any grounds other than giving people money to support children they can't afford.

Also, given recidivism rates, $1000/month=$12,000/year, that's less than 1/4 what it costs to jail them while keeping them out of trouble. A net gain for honest citizens.
edit on 28-3-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Is it just me or could this create crime? "Hey I hears Leyron got outta lockup, He gettin pay'd not do crime no mo, me gonna gets me somma dat too."

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
How about we pay that to everyone not just criminals, to not commit crime. # the number one reason for crime is poverty.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So when do we start getting free money for not breaking the law, period, full stop?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: budzilla
Is it just me or could this create crime? "Hey I hears Leyron got outta lockup, He gettin pay'd not do crime no mo, me gonna gets me somma dat too."

Wow, just wow...

Agree with the point, but, as for how you chose to go about making it, well...how does the meme go?

"Obvious racist is obvious."

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If they'd pay me $1,000 a month, I swear I'd never kill anybody again.

(OK, I've never killed anybody to begin with, but you never know when I might want to start. If they gave me$1,000 a month, I can promise I'd never ever do it.)

Where do I sign up?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Geez, i haven't killed anyone in 39 years.i need some back rent. a reply to: gumbico

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

This was almost unbelievable. I had to do some research to make sure something wasn't misconstrued, but, yep...it's true. I did find out, however, this:

A police liaison officer told us this startling fact: An estimated 70 percent of shootings and homicides in Richmond in 2009 were caused by just 17 individuals, primarily African-American and Hispanic-American men between the ages of 16 and 25.
www.progressivestoday.com...

Also, they get millions in grant money to do this, and three years ago a Richmond councilman wanted to do a "forensic audit" of this Office of Neighborhood Safety, the program that gets the money.

The guy that heads up ONS objected to the councilman wanting to have this audit done, and tempers flared over it.
www.contracostatimes.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Other nations also do this. For jail time the person lives in what is a hotel by our standards. Their mornings are full of training in various job courses, and when they get out they're paid to keep from committing crime (I think they have probation officers too, to help with that). The idea is that after they get out of jail, they have something to offer to make a reasonable living, and a bonus incentive to not commit again.

It has been very successful at reducing recidivism, rehabilitating criminals, and shrinking prisons.

The only real question is what do you then do with the few where this doesn't work? Obviously you can't let them go free and fund their next crime so it needs some sort of x strikes law attached.

Paying someone at risk $1000/month to stay out of jail however is much cheaper than it costs to put them in jail. It's the fiscally responsible thing to do.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I would like to mentor an entire neighborhood of these guys.

My mentoring program would be to demonstrate how to rig explosive charges. Advertise the event as a sure fire way to get back at rivals! THE BE ALL AND END ALL!!! Offer everyone 1K USD to show up...Once the room is full, I press the button right in front of them...Yeah, I would be gone, but I am almost gone anyway...and none of these #ing asshole morons would live to kill anyone else, typically those of their ethnic group anyway...

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Okay. I'm staying out of jail so...where's the money? I'm all for being compensated for doing something. But why is it a go so idea to pay one person to not do something and not pay another person to not do the exact same thing?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
"Give me your money or I shoot"

like the old days

<<   2  3  4 >>

join