It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto’s Glyphosate Found in California Wines, Even Wines Made With Organic Grapes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Monsanto’s Glyphosate Found in California Wines, Even Wines Made With Organic Grapes

Glyphosate is a known carcinogen, and it is working it's way into the entire food chain.

...test results from Microbe Inotech Lab of St.Louis showing 10 different wines, from large and small vineyards, contained the chemical glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup weedkiller, including wine made with organic grapes.

Glyphosate has been deemed a probable carcinogen by the World Health Organization. Even the small amount of 0.1ppt of glyphosate has been shown to stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. According to the California Department of Health, breast cancer rates in the Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties are 10 to 20 percent higher than the national average. There are many pending lawsuits against Monsanto for the connection between non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Roundup.

Maybe vintage wines that predate Monsanto/glyphosate are going to go up in value... hintedy hint hint

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Consumers probably won't do much with this information. In an ideal world, people would stop consuming American wines, even organic ones until it was confirmed they were no longer being poisoned by Round Up.

But...consumers are lazy and the cheap American wine at Trader Joes, etc is a staple for lots of frugal shoppers.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

But…consumers are lazy and the cheap American wine at Trader Joes, etc is a staple for lots of frugal shoppers.

How would they know what wine is contaminated or not? Testing for that on each bottle, let alone all the other potential toxins out there is expensive.

As far as how wide spread this toxin is being used, they are applying it on IVY in our complex on a regular basis, right along sidewalks where people walk, their pets sniff and children play.

edit on 28-3-2016 by intrptr because: spelling, change

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of man made chemicals for use in pest or weed control.

However, the op says known carcinogen, yet the who says probable. Which is it?

The description of probable doesn't mean a lot.

I'm not defending Monsanto, but facts need to be real, not just opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So EcoWatch is making the case for Australian wines?

All kidding aside glyphosate is now in about everything we stick in our mouths. Just because it's been found in wine as well, isn't much more than a gentrified problem/alarmist headline. If no one cares it's in the rest of the food supply the word "Wine" isn't going to be the magic bullet.

As far as official agencies listing it as "probable" I'm calling irrelevant. It's common sense not to ingest pesticides no matter what's said or who said it.

Just being practical, we could ban all GMO however the ship has sailed. Glyphosate is in the water supply, it's in the soil and even if it wasn't the amount of pharmaceuticals that have entered the water supply via our toilets is past the tipping point. Sure stopping current practices is always the optimum practice, but in reality we've already screwed ourselves and a few generations to come. Short term we're just going to have to suffer our consequences, all we can do now is work on stopping continuing and future contamination.

Vermont recently won us a victory in at least getting things labeled.
www.npr.org...

And since food companies can't create different packaging just for Vermont, it appears that the tiniest of states has created a labeling standard that will go into effect nationwide.

This statement, from General Mills' Jeff Harmening, sums it up:

"Vermont state law requires us to start labeling certain grocery store food packages that contain GMO ingredients or face significant fines," Harmening wrote on the General Mills blogs.

"We can't label our products for only one state without significantly driving up costs for our consumers and we simply will not do that," explains Harmening.

So, as a result: "Consumers all over the U.S. will soon begin seeing words legislated by the state of Vermont on the labels of many of their favorite General Mills products," he concludes.

Does anyone know if this will apply to beverages?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Most people don't know that glyphosphate is patented as an antibiotic. Then we wonder why we are experiencing super bugs etc...after soaking our entire environment with this crap.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Why nobody can stop this true evil company?

How many people they need to kill?

Now wines, what is there left to consume?

Poor America, but once they destroy America they will come to Europe, actually they are at European doors and it appears for whatever reasons doors will open.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Monsanto has got to go.....The corporation should be broken up and those in charge should be in jail by now for crimes against humanity.....

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I am a winemaker in California and they apply round up in HUGE numbers in almost every single vineyard. Even if you have an organic vineyard there is always overspray. There is supposed to be a 8 foot (or so...I forgot the actual number) barrier between organic and non organic blocks of grapes, but it still is in the ground. I hate round up. They spray it up and down EVERY road for weed control, which are also drainage ditches, that go straight to the rivers and then of course to the ocean.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Anyone who wants to see all the chemicals (thousands of gallons) of pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, and Hebicides should spend a day or two at any Cropdusting base or any Farm that use ground sprayers, check the labels I dare you. It's not just "round-up either, there's plenty of generic (Chinese) products that do the same thing under different names, there are also wayyy worse stuff than round up, all with funny names. Stuff that kills bugs especially

edit on 28-3-2016 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

All of these companies that make the wines could have one heck of a lawsuit I'm thinking. At the very least, a lawsuit to compensate the customers lives who were likely shortened by it.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

It's a probable carcinogen to those who work with it every day.

That part always gets missed out, I wonder why?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spodeeodee

I am a winemaker in California and they apply round up in HUGE numbers in almost every single vineyard. Even if you have an organic vineyard there is always overspray. There is supposed to be a 8 foot (or so...I forgot the actual number) barrier between organic and non organic blocks of grapes, but it still is in the ground. I hate round up. They spray it up and down EVERY road for weed control, which are also drainage ditches, that go straight to the rivers and then of course to the ocean.

And this is monsanto's fault?

Mismanagement and over use is the problem.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Most people don't know that glyphosphate is patented as an antibiotic. Then we wonder why we are experiencing super bugs etc...after soaking our entire environment with this crap.

Where are you getting this information? Do you have a link?

Someone on another thread refers to them as Monsatan.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

The description of probable doesn't mean a lot.

I'm not defending Monsanto, but facts need to be real, not just opinion.

It's been a few years since we were studying these things, but I believe the word probable comes into play when there is no other way to confirm, other than to actually try the stuff out on a human. I don't think you would want to be the one who helps them decide the difference.

(I'm just saying....)

Along the same lines, sort of, one thing we learned is that, when it comes to a toxic tort (a lawsuit re such things) you don't need to prove that this stuff did harm to the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. The courts came to recognize that this can not be done, so they have, or had, a special standard of "more likely than not." Of course, the lawyers did not know the difference, and weren't interested in finding out.
edit on 28-3-2016 by ClownFish because: typo

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClownFish

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Where are you getting this information? Do you have a link?

Someone on another thread refers to them as Monsatan.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

www.google.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Thank you!

I thought you were asking me, until I saw that special link color that I have yet to master. No, you weren't asking, you were answering....Sigh....I so envy you folks who know how to do links. I've plumb given up on them. But thanks again.

The answer on the link is suspect. I believe that lots of drugs come from poisons and lots of poisons come from drugs.

When we had our clinic, one of my mottos was "Just say KNOW to drugs."

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: haven123

Thank you for the link also.

I know that nothing is all black or all white, but when Monsanto starts doing things that "look good," my internal BS register starts to growl.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join