It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have a second brain in your gut, and it can live without you

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Our stomach has a mind of its own!

In the Lord's Prayer, the first petition is for daily bread. No one can worship God or love his neighbor on an empty stomach. Read more at:

The brain’s powers are a little overrated. To keep your body going, you don’t need a functioning brain, but you do need something to provide energy. Enter the gut.

Ling Lee, a microbiologist, says it makes sense to think of the nervous system that governs digestion as a brain. The “gut brain,” as Lee calls it, contains hundreds of millions of neurons—“as many nerves as in an adult cat,” she says. And also, it’s autonomous.

If you chopped it out of a body, and gave it a nutrient bath in which to survive, the enteric system, as it’s also known, “would still go chomping through things,” says Lee.

In comparison to the many billions of neurons in the brain, the gut’s hundreds of millions might not seem like much. And, yet, it’s quite clear “gut feelings” are no longer just a metaphor.

Link

Link

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The heart also has neurons.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AldarKose

So im no longer big bone.

Its not that Im fat its that I have a big brain.

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Doesn't the entire body have pockets of neurons just some are more abundant in places than others?
I mean, in an evolutionary viewpoint it makes perfect sense, putting less strain on the brain for it to focus on our more vital senses to the open world, touch feel, smell, and pain.
Pretty cool tho. I wanna see a stomach living on its own.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Would t any organ you remove from the body continue to function of you gave it what it needed to live lol

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I wanna see a stomach living on its own.

LOL

BEWARE OF THE GIANT STOMACH! It came from outer space! It crawls! It creeps! IT EATS YOU ALIVE!

edit on 26-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
To eat, or not to eat? Whether tis more filling of gut to suffer the pangs and aches of indigestion, or to take anti acid against the buffet of delicacies...

Also, I recall a joke about this. The rectum goes on hiatus to prove a point. Maybe your bum means more than your stomach?

edit on 26-3-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I believe that would be the parasympathetic system. It controls the automatic functions.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It's actually surprising to think that Humans have at least the equivalent of 5 brains (Left brain, right brain, primal unconscious brain, gut brain, and heart 'brain')

But to think there may be multiple rudimentary brain clusters throughout the body too is quite interesting.

Especially when we consider just how many freaking idiots are in the world, it becomes more ironic than anything else.

All those neurons, and so many morons.
edit on 26 3 2016 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I agree with this but more so in the fact that your gut instinct usually overrides your brain, your heart can tell you one thing, and your mind,[brain] will tell you the same if you let it, but your gut instinct will always be there telling you something different.

Going with my gut instinct has on more than one occasion saved me from making some very stupid decisions.

always rely on your gut

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

It's actually surprising to think that Humans have at least the equivalent of 5 brains (Left brain, right brain, primal unconscious brain, gut brain, and heart 'brain')

But to think there may be multiple rudimentary brain clusters throughout the body too is quite interesting.

Especially when we consider just how many freaking idiots are in the world, it becomes more ironic than anything else.

Speaking of morons, you forgot the willy brain.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think my colon just threw up in my pants.. does that mean my colon has a brain?
I did not ask it to do that...

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The Lord's Prayer?
What?

Are you a Christian?
Do you understand the word

Jesus is the bread of life, it's a spiritual statement
Man does not live on bread alone, but the very word of God
Jesus is the word

Jesus is the bread of life, you have a little confusion in your op

I think you are confused

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Jesus is the bread of life, it's a spiritual statement

Then why did Jesus say "Give US our daily bread..." if he wasn't talking about food. Do you expect that Jesus fed off himself while he walked around in the physical word?

How come Christians say grace before meals, thanking God for their "daily bread"?

Never mind, it's all rhetorical. This isn't a religious thread.

edit on 26-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Thanks windy
You are a peach, evidently a theologian as well

I won't explain it to you, because, as you acknowledge, this is not the right place

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Ah yes, the willy brain.

Part of the primitive brain i believe, the urge to reproduce and all that jazz.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

This comment interests me because it could explain the stories about those who have had organ transplants and woke up fluent in other languages, or with new hobbies and interests completely against their original character.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

That's quite an interesting hypothesis...most of this thread is a bit tongue in cheek, but that actually makes some rational sense mate.

Maybe that is what is happening...the neural clusters are being transplanted along with the body part..could it be so?

Why not...sometimes this world get's weirder by the minute it seems.

ETA: The more i think about your idea...you know how some transplants get rejected by the host almost immediately, despite the anti-rejection drugs, while others seem to be tollerated by the host quite well....what if the transplants that are almost immediately rejected is because the 'brain' cluster that was transplanted along with the organ or body part..just doesn't get on with the host's many neural clusters and is sent packing by the dominant host brain(s)?

edit on 26 3 2016 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

In comparison to the many billions of neurons in the brain, the gut’s hundreds of millions might not seem like much. And, yet, it’s quite clear “gut feelings” are no longer just a metaphor.

And so is "#brained".

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Yup....

It's a thing called the "Parasympathetic" nervous system.

You can hold your breath or whatever you may want to hold....

But eventually your body will do what it does to keep you from being allowed to damage yourself or it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join