It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For older posters: Are you less active socially now?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Kind of funny...My teenage child told me they have 222 friends.

I replied "if you have car trouble today. Start calling those friends, when you get to my name I'll come get you..."

That's fricken hilarious !! ... and so true !

I just snorted coffee.

Thanks for the great laugh !

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

My 18 year old was all about his friends. Till he totalled his ride, and they all scattered. Now when he needs a ride...it calls me.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

LOL... too true.

A hard lesson each and every one of us old farts have learned over the years... whenever you hit a "difficult" road block in life, that's when you always find out who your true friends are.

Which probably explains why and how our circle of "friends" almost always ends up getting whiddled down over the years to just a select few.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I'm way ahead of you guys! I'm 27 next week and I've never been social, nor do I plan on it
Lol. I would hang out with you. I'm prob the only one though.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

I'm pushing 40, but you'd never know it. I consider myself lucky to have a large circle of good friends and acquaintances of all ages. We don't all gather around at the same time, but we don't go very long without all running into each other at some point. Drama breaks out very rarely, but when it does everyone knows about it and everyone has their say about it. It keeps us honest. If we were closer geographically, i would invite you to hang out.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

For older posters: Are you less active socially now?

60++

I was retired for awhile and was comfortable in my seclusion but the 08 crash forced me back in the workforce.

It's hard to separate the social life from business in the film biz; somehow they seem to mesh into each other.

Networking is mandatory to stay employed...it really is "who you know" and networking involves a lot of social interaction..sex, drugs and rock and roll; predominantly a youthful community, work hard, play hard.
It's beginning to take it's toll on this geezer.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

My younger days were spent training and playing Badminton for hours every day (the serious competitive variety!) and afterwards having a couple of drinks.....OK I admit it 60 units per week ! Fit as a fiddle though, we all were. But that took it's toll. Not the drink the exercise! My joints are screwed I stopped everything 10 years ago.

So here I am enjoying a much more relaxing life (!), half as much alcohol, wife, movies, restaurants and quiet nights in. Still have Fridays out with my old badminton partner who rattles due to two metal hips and a metal knee.

(A wee dig here at our colonial cousins in the US, my friend with two hip replacements and a knee replacement and no worries about the cost due to a free at delivery health service)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I've never been afraid of people, but I've constantly worried about what violent and unreasonable people might cause me to do. Violence means nothing to violent people, but thoughtful people fear the consequences of their own violence. I find that being solitary alleviates that fear.
Are you my critter from another knitter? You must be my long lost sibling. That was perfectly stated as to why I feel "coiled" when we're in crowds.

To expand upon that, people have different values. I consider a "fight" to be an attempt to seriously injure or even kill me. I haven't engaged in a fight in decades, however listening to the younger crowd around here, it makes me think that they watch too many movies where people fight and then after enough blood has been spilled, they buy each other drinks and become best friends. Real life doesn't work that way and I know it. Intoxicated people in public don't recognize their mortality, nor care about yours. They are capable of extremely stupid things done for stupid reasons. Like you, I'm not necessarily afraid -- I just don't want to be in protection mode. It's not fun and I'd rather just avoid the crowds.

Also, situational awareness. Suppose a fire breaks out or some other unpredictable disaster? Most people become mindless trampling animals fleeing from doom. I was in an Albertson's supermarket in 1986 during the Loma Prieta earthquake. Several people were injured by trying to shove their way out of the supermarket. I was the sole person (as far as I know) that stayed inside. Lightweight fiberglass ceiling tiles fell down. No biggie. Glass containers and booze fell from the isles. People went nuts, absolutely nuts. The earthquake lasted about 15 long seconds. Afterward, I saw several suits come back inside and steal booze. People tend toward a mindless mob mentality when under duress. No thanks.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

'Fist bump'. God help those who cross a righteous man.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join