It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FBI Investigating Laser Pointer Epidemic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The FBI is now investigating the laser pointer incidents, which have grown from an isolated case into a national problem. Measures have even been taken to include training for pilots to help them deal with the situation. The lasers, which can be seen from over 25,000 feet and are the most powerful laser instrument available to the general public, are said to be the culprit.

www.boston.com
The most recent sightings of lasers, which can temporarily blind pilots, were reported as Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta planned to brief reporters today about the issue at the Federal Aviation Administration's aeronautical research center in Oklahoma City.

''It's happening all over the place," Viray said yesterday. Beginning on Christmas night, there were reports from all over the country of lasers pointed at aircraft cockpits: in Cleveland, Houston, Colorado Springs, Colo., Medford, Ore., and Nashville, Tenn. Many of the reports described a green beam.

The laser pointer, which sells for $119, is the most powerful that can be used in a public place without government regulation, according to Bigha, the company that manufactures it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I just can't believe this childness, especially since the the first incident involved a grown man who should have been capable of knowing the possible consequences of what he was doing. Now there seem to be many copycats who are pointing these things at helicopters, airliners, private planes and the like. Its only a matter of time before something crashes and we begin to have a much more serious problem on our hands.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Banshee]

df1

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The government can now label anyone that has a ubiquitous $5 laser pointer a terrorist. I believe this entire story is a lie. If this were real, you'd put light diffusing goggles on the pilots. End of problem.

Anybody that believes this trash is either ignorant or naive.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by df1]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I believe the Pilots Association is taking this pretty seriously and are looking into getting some type of glasses or goggles approved for use. I don't think they can just pick something and use it I think they have to have things approved by the FAA (possibly) before use.

jm

df1

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
I don't think they can just pick something and use it I think they have to have things approved by the FAA (possibly) before use.

Goggles of this type have been around for 30+ years. They have been well tested and are commonly used by military aircraft crews and have been for a long time. This is not just picking up a pair sun glasses at the dollar store as you have implied.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Originally posted by justme1640
I don't think they can just pick something and use it I think they have to have things approved by the FAA (possibly) before use.

Goggles of this type have been around for 30+ years. They have been well tested and are commonly used by military aircraft crews and have been for a long time. This is not just picking up a pair sun glasses at the dollar store as you have implied.

I realize that -- but I still believe the FAA would still have to approve anything for use in the commercial sector. I wasn't trying to imply what you said at all. I was just stating that ANYTHING has to be approved before use in commercial airlines - and that sometimes that approval takes time -- like any dealing with government offices.

jm

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I believe this entire story is a lie

I'm not one to fabricate stories. You can be assured that anything I post here will be real news. This was taken from a reputable source, the Boston Globe, and you can read the entire story there is you don't believe me.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Laser pointers reaching that far up? What a load of crap, and what a funny co-winky-dink that these supposed "attacks" started occuring shortly after the release of such a memo warning of this very thing...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Laser pointers reaching that far up? What a load of crap

"The laser pointer, which sells for $119, is the most powerful that can be used in a public place without government regulation, according to Bigha, the company that manufactures it. It produces a bright green beam that can be seen up to 25,000 feet away, and is used by bird watchers, astronomers, and lecturers to point out faraway objects."

I know it sounds farfetched, but I'd trust that a major newspaper has done its research on the subject.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
www.telescope.com...

The SkyLine green laser pointer is perfect for stargazers. It emits a thin but distinct green beam that appears to stretch all the way to the star! The SkyLine is a nifty teaching aid, allowing you to point out stars, planets, constellations — even moving satellites — to other individuals or groups of people. The SkyLine's far-reaching beam is visible not only by the person holding the pointer, but also by others standing several feet to the side. While light emitted by flashlights and red laser pointers fades out over long distances, the SkyLine's green beam just keeps going and going, seemingly to infinity. It works even in light-polluted or moonlit skies!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
from this site
Blinding Laser weapons

Although it is possible to provide filters that give high protection without degrading visual acuity, there remains the problem of knowing which lasers are being used and which filter to wear. Protective goggles can filter out lasers of known wavelengths, but technology has advanced to the point where laser systems can be designed to operate at many different wavelengths within a fraction of a second. Therefore, the availability of wavelength agile lasers renders single-filter goggles ineffective. Unfortunately, the screening out of all wavelengths, which is necessary to achieve full protection, would block out all light and leave the protected person unable to see.

Based on the previous discussion, it can be concluded that at the present time there are no foolproof countermeasures to blinding battlefield lasers, and that the ability of these systems to oscillate wavelengths makes protective optical devices useless and impossible to devise.

now I know your next comment will be that this refers to battlefield lasers -- but if you read the entire paper you will know that one laser they refer to is basically mounted on a rifle stock. So they are portable and while maybe difficult to get not impossible.

Dazer is a portable rifle-like, shoulder-fired, non-scanning, manually operated tactical laser weapon whose use is reserved for U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) missions. The Dazer uses a short-range, near infrared spectrum alexandrite laser beam, has a battery life of 1000 individual shots, and can make up to 50 shots per minute. The USSOCOM warns in its internal Fact Sheet that the Dazer is hazardous to the eyes and skin and operates at a lethal voltage.

As I stated earlier pilots we know who work for a couple of different airlines are taking this threat seriously. And they are not thinking that this is the average guy playing around in his backyard either.

jm

df1

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zhangmaster

I believe this entire story is a lie

I'm not one to fabricate stories. You can be assured that anything I post here will be real news. This was taken from a reputable source, the Boston Globe, and you can read the entire story there is you don't believe me.

I'm not calling you a liar. I am calling the various sources of these stories liars or naive fools. As for the Boston Globe, go tell Dan Rather about.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I guess I better buy one of these laser pointers, before they're made illegal.
That seems like it'll be the next likely step.

new topics

top topics

join