It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I borrow $20 for gas so I can get to work this week?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Blame the television!
The young of today have been taught by a lifetime of tv commercials that they aint goin nowhere without the right gear! Its so powerful that they really do believe they MUST have them or they wont fit in.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You could have told her you would lend her the money but there would be interest, say $5.00 a week until she paid it back, or some other agreed upon amount.

You are still helping her out but she in turn is learning a lesson in borrowing money

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I wasn't saying be an enabler, and Yeah....Nike's.

My point was things aren't always what they seem and until Seeker added more info we didn't know. Since we know more I agree some budgeting lessons are in order with a side order of delayed gratification tossed in.

It's ok to give people the benefit of the doubt.
Ya know?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Hey man chill I wasn't directing that at you

And I don't think it's common sense she just needs to learn about prioritising her finances, I'm sure we've all been there though at some point where we screwed up with our finances.

Just tell her next time she'll have to use those shoes to run to work, usually a semi serious joke can get the message across

a reply to: Caver78

To be honest you could kind of get an idea of her situation from his reaction "you just bought some nifty tennis shoes and now you're broke and want to borrow $20? wtf?" I'm sure if she was in some kind of desperation his reaction would not have been like this.
edit on 24/3/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Hey man chill I wasn't directing that at you

And I don't think it's common sense she just needs to learn about prioritising her finances, I'm sure we've all been there though at some point where we screwed up with our finances.

Just tell her next time she'll have to use those shoes to run to work, usually a semi serious joke can get the message across

a reply to: Caver78

To be honest you could kind of get an idea of her situation from his reaction "you just bought some nifty tennis shoes and now you're broke and want to borrow $20? wtf?" I'm sure if she was in some kind of desperation his reaction would not have been like this.

It's all good!

Your are right though. I did bring the fact to her though that I found it odd she needed gas money for work while showing off her new $80 shoes?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Good for you. It would take a cold person to turn a girl like that away.

People ask for money because they need it.

When Frankie Lee asked for money one day, Judas quickly pulled out a roll of tens. Saying 'take your pick, Frankie boy, my loss will be your gain".
Dylan ballad

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If she pays her debt, then what's the problem?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
tell her its double bubble and you want 40 back when she gets paid

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Let's cool down the lynching party.

What's important is if she pays it back on payday.

What jumped out at me is at least she is going to work.

Also, Apparently Tennis Shoes determines how cool you are.

Who knew...

PS. If there is no attempt to repay...Get a rope.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'd bet money she "feels the Bern!"

People today drive me nuts. I say this like she's a whole lot younger than I am but she's not..

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Years ago, I walked about 25 minutes to get to a job, stood and walked for 8 hours at the job and walked for 25 minutes to get back home from that job. Never in my life had I paid anywhere near 80 bucks for sneakers and some were like walking on clouds they were so comfortable. There is a difference between paying for a brand name and paying for quality. You can find quality at much lower prices. Just my opinion. I would teach the girl how to budget and also how to shop.

And...priorities. If she blows 80 bucks for a pair of sneakers and has no money for gas to get to her job, how wise is that? No gas to get to her job means no job which means no money for food or rent or anything else.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Years ago, I walked about 25 minutes to get to a job, stood and walked for 8 hours at the job and walked for 25 minutes to get back home from that job. Never in my life had I paid anywhere near 80 bucks for sneakers and some were like walking on clouds they were so comfortable. There is a difference between paying for a brand name and paying for quality. You can find quality at much lower prices. Just my opinion. I would teach the girl how to budget and also how to shop.

And...priorities. If she blows 80 bucks for a pair of sneakers and has no money for gas to get to her job, how wise is that? No gas to get to her job means no job which means no money for food or rent or anything else.

Thank you!

You get it!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

People today drive me nuts. I say this like she's a whole lot younger than I am but she's not..

SHE DOES!!!! roflmao

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

SHE DOES!!!! roflmao

I grew up poor as hell. I'm 35 and my household income is well into 6 figures now. I've worked HARD for what I've got, and don't borrow from anyone. I have lots of shoes now, but there was a time when I wore the same pair of boots for 4-5 years..

But I always had gas or bus money to get to work...

My little brother is 4 years younger than I am and he and his wife aren't very good with money.. It's not uncommon at all that he asks me for $50 to get through the weekend, or for gas, or whatever.. I always do it, but it bothers me that he's borrowing my money yet he has an XBOX ONE, a bunch of games, new phones and gadgets, yada yada yada. People have bad priorities. =(
edit on 24-3-2016 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Me too! I thought I struck pay dirt when I finally landed a job making 50k a year! Did it make me happier? Nope!

Now I live on less than 20k a year and I consider myself rich and happy with what I have in life!

It's all about priorities.......

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I buy a new pair of shoes every 3-5 years until I wear out the old ones. I like a multi-purpose hiking shoe so I can do almost anything in them. They look a little dressy and are comfortable for walking. When I received a gift certificate to Amazon.com three years ago I got a hiking sandal that I still use during the summer months as a 'splurge' item.

I don't understand why you need more than one or two pairs of shoes. I sure wouldn't get a pair of tennis shoes if I was having trouble getting to work because of no gas.

Do I understand the woman's mentality? I don't, sorry.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I buy a new pair of shoes every 3-5 years until I wear out the old ones. I like a multi-purpose hiking shoe so I can do almost anything in them. They look a little dressy and are comfortable for walking. When I received a gift certificate to Amazon.com three years ago I got a hiking sandal that I still use during the summer months as a 'splurge' item.

I don't understand why you need more than one or two pairs of shoes. I sure wouldn't get a pair of tennis shoes if I was having trouble getting to work because of no gas.

Do I understand the woman's mentality? I don't, sorry.

Mentality is the KEY word we are discussing my friend.

We can take that word and look at all the other craziness that is dividing us as a nation and sit back and go hmmmmmm.

Takes some bravery to buck the cognitive dissonance that has become the shackles that bind us all, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
But did you give her the $20 ?

I did say, "Being the sucker I am."?

I do not view you as a sucker! Prior to Seeing the $80 Nikes You agreed to give her $20. You are a man of your word !

A noble gesture, rare now-a days. A lady I talk with about once a month called saying she hated to ask, but she was desperate. Could she borrow $500 ? I wired her $ 1,000.00. Several weeks pass and she tells me of her wonderful vacation in Mexico. REALLY ?! I learned a long time ago to not lend money. If one asks, saying they will pay me back I usually respond with " Pass it on to someone else who needs it." It saves me a lot of grief and hard feelings.

I totally understand people feeling she should grow up and be financially responsible. I get it ! I really do.

I give money away frequently . I'm not rich. One think it has done for me is remove the power money or lack there-of
holds over our collective heads.

Bottom line ........ You know if someone is playing you. It that case it's nope . sorry amigo. Just my two cents.
edit on 24-3-2016 by dazbog because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2016 by dazbog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
I am not the smartest person on this planet but can anyone explain this type of mentality that I am seeing running rampant in our youth today?

It's not a matter of being youthful. Stupid spans across all generations.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

To anyone criticizing Discotech here....lemme tell you that a couple of folks giving me the same tough love that is being described here helped make me who I am, and (even though I didn't like it then) it was one of the best things anyone could have ever done for me.

I was a petulant child once upon a time. A few good kicks in my ass helped form a notion of personal reponsibility that has served me far, far better than the small amount of cash that I asked for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join