It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: neo96

Whatever happened to "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"? That's what my mom taught me back in the 60's.

Well then there should be nothing but silence from so called 'liberals'.

Especially Trump critics.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yup me too...

I can walk up by a group of Alaska Natives and make a very racist remark if I want to. However, if they criticize me for saying it, I'm not going to argue with them over it.

If they tell me that what I said was racist and hateful, I'm not going to yell at them that "I can say what I want!!". . .

It's on me, because their reaction was in response to my words.

Not owning up and being responsible for what we say is a huge problem with our society these days. And its getting worse each day. The "anti-PC" people have the right to be anti-PC, but they also need to take responsibility for their actions and words.

If you are a racist, it must suck that the world is loosing patience and tolerance for your brand of hate. I get it, that's gotta suck. You can be mad and continue to say racist things, but you do so at your own peril.

The hypocritical is that the most racist people I know are also the most "take responsibility" people. It seems that they want everyone to be responsible for themselves, but they somehow should have the magical ability to say whatever they want without any implications or consequences. How is that supposed to work again?

So now we're seeing racist people back themselves into closets and use passive aggressive techniques to deal with their frustration at being called out for being racist and hateful.

These folks will use sly round-about ways to be racist, and then pull the victim card to deflect the issue away from themselves when called out for it. Usually first they'll make the reverse-racism case that the people they were insulting are the real racist ones themselves.

It's predictable, it's scripted, I'm not sure if there's like some memo or something these folks pass around, maybe a email newsletter for "Racist Weekly" or something? Dunno.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Sargeras
Lol, then what is the PC movement about if not restricting speech, and thereby thought?

Do you really care or are you just interested in spouting out your memorized strawmans about how PC is supposed to work?

Because that is what it is all about, and i'm not down for it!

Yeah. Didn't think so.

It is much more important that everyone gets to say what they think, and think what they want.

There is no other way around it.

Speech control is thought control = PC

Says the guy yelling down people asking others to try to be polite to each other.

PS: I also have the free speech to call you a racist, asshole, or both.

Yup!!

Now that you understand , what is the misunderstanding?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: christophoros

You will find that some people will rebel any time they are TOLD what to do, regardless of the value of what is being said (I am this way). If you want the war to end then the solution is simple. The PC crowd needs to stop attacking.

That's not just some people.

A lot of people don't like to be told what to do,and WHAT to say.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You do know when the left is going around calling the right 'racist','Fascist','Bigots' etc.

They are not paying them compliments.

They are damn right insulting them.

Irony from the PC crowd.

link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

You will find that some people will rebel any time they are TOLD what to do, regardless of the value of what is being said (I am this way). If you want the war to end then the solution is simple. The PC crowd needs to stop attacking.

It's not "attacking", that's the thing.

Your statement right there is EXACTLY what I am talking about -- this perpetual "victimhood" mentality by people who get called out on what they say. Instead of just ignoring it or choosing their words and audiences more wisely, they have to make themselves into imaginary victims of some kind.

You are not a "victim of PC" --- no, you are just being called out for what you say.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not catch-22 when modern technology does the work for you or thinks for you....

Technology can be good or bad that is catch-22 .... but when technology is unbalanced like it is now, it's bad!!!! very PC bad!

edit on 18-3-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

It's predictable, it's scripted, I'm not sure if there's like some memo or something these folks pass around, maybe a email newsletter for "Racist Weekly" or something? Dunno.

This rhetoric breeds on conservative websites as well as conspiracy theory websites like this one. One guy says something online, or one of the conservative talking heads will say something on the radio or tv and then others hear it and turn around repeat it, maybe adding on to it a bit of their own flair, which in turn gets told to others (including the original barer of the information who adopts the new stuff to his rhetoric) and the echo chamber just keeps getting louder and louder with more bull#.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And I don't see any liberals crying about being called out for it by the big, mean conservative PC crowd.

Look, if you say dumb things and get called out on it by someone -- that's the consequence for your words.

No one is telling you what you can or can't say, but to have this attitude that you can say whatever the hell you want and everyone has to shut up, put up and listen is beyond arrogant and egotistical. It borders on the line of mental illness.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not catch-22 when modern technology does the work for you or thinks for you....

Technology can be good or bad that is catch-22 .... but when technology is unbalanced like it is now, it's bad!!!! very PC bad!

Yet modern technology that thinks for us is used to calculate things like international economics, advanced science, engineering, computer development, and many other things. Or did you think that solving 1,000,000 equation long systems of equations is solvable by humans (something required of figuring out economics)?
edit on 18-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

So, free speech as long as it conforms to your standards?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol, then what is the PC movement about if not restricting speech, and thereby thought?

Do you really care or are you just interested in spouting out your memorized strawmans about how PC is supposed to work?

Because that is what it is all about, and i'm not down for it!

Yeah. Didn't think so.

It is much more important that everyone gets to say what they think, and think what they want.

There is no other way around it.

Speech control is thought control = PC

Says the guy yelling down people asking others to try to be polite to each other.

PS: I also have the free speech to call you a racist, asshole, or both.

Yup!!

Now that you understand , what is the misunderstanding?

No misunderstanding. I understand you being hypocritical and your deflection tactics pretty well.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The problem is YOUR definition of what I can say isn't MY definition of what I can say. If you want to be an a-hole of my wording of something, such as calling a dumbass a retard or something that is YOUR problem not mine.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

What these sterling individuals seem to have forgotten, or possibly never came across, is the fact that class is a matter of comportment and conduct, not a matter of nationality, race, colour, creed, or sexual preference. It is about carrying with you the humility to realise that you are not the centre of the universe, that we are all here on this world together, and we have to get along with one another, if the species is to get along at all.

Classy people do this automatically, because classy people do not need to be told about it. They do not learn it in school, and some do not even learn it at home. Sometimes they learn the opposite in these places, and infer the correct course of action in the same way as the presence of a black hole can be inferred from the absence of light. However, learn it they do, and once learned, it is a lesson never forgotten without wilful ignorance.

Being politically correct is a matter of the times though, and quite separate from the issue raised in the opening segments of my post. Political correctness in times gone by, would have been very different to what you experience in this day and age. For example, those who were all for equality for African Americans and all persons of colour, were not at all politically correct in the pre-civil rights era. They would be now, but that is because things changed during the time between then and now.

What is and is not politically correct changes by region as well. For example, if I announce that I believe that war is largely made for profit these days, and has next to nothing to do with honour, right and wrong, ensuring our national security, or any other damned thing, then if I am in a university campus, that would be perfectly fine. If I say it at a bar frequented by squaddies from the nearest army or navy barracks, you can be sure that what I said would be not at all politically correct as far as those nearby are concerned.

So the issue is actually far more complicated than you might first have thought. Political correctness is altered by time, location, context, and a whole heap of other variables. While I personally do not seek to be politically correct in all things, I also seek not to cause deliberate offence in a gratuitous and unseemly manner. Why? Because it is not a classy thing to do. Yes, I may quaff rum until I cannot see straight. I may sink beers until I create modern art on the ground by expelling excess alcohol orally. Yes, I may even swear like a trooper! But I do not deliberately cause offence, because it is not classy. I also happen to believe in equality, in the future of our species, not just the future of my nation. I believe in fairness, justice, and that all who are living under a nations flag, are beholden to in equal measure to all its laws and legislature, as long as that legislature is just and serves the ends of justice.

But I do not believe those things because I am desperate to be PC. I believe those things, because my ancestors fought like berserkers to ensure that our future as a species was taken out of the hands of psychotic dictators with xenophobic attitudes, that the world be free of the worst that particular subset of maniacs had to offer. I believe those things, because I know that sacrifices made in my name, before I was ever born, will be in vain unless we continue to fight for those ideals, and keep our lands free of supremacism and exceptionalism, free of dogmatic and blinkered attitudes and by so doing free our future from the errors of the past.

This species has more to offer its future, than bestial and low brow witlessness. We can do things now, that will secure a better future for the species, and all it will take for us to achieve those things, is to listen to the classy part of us, the part that knows right from wrong, and remembers its obligation to those who came before us, to make the best of their successes, and ensure their failures are never repeated.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It's more like...

You have every right to be an a-hole, but don't be a little pansy when when I or someone else calls you out on it and says you're being an a-hole.

LOL. I think that's mainly the message?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

And I don't see any liberals crying about being called out for it by the big, mean conservative PC crowd.

No they just go around making up words like African Ameircans,Chinese Ameircans,and every other insert nationality-American.

That isn't good enough. They are making up new words because being called a man and a woman is now 'offensive'.

And then when people don't play along with that stupidity. They go around calling them 'racist'.

And the new kid on the block is 'undocumented' aliens, because someone that broke the law to get here is has also become 'taboo'.

PC is utter nonsense.
edit on 18-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Not owning up and being responsible for what we say is a huge problem with our society these days. And its getting worse each day. The "anti-PC" people have the right to be anti-PC, but they also need to take responsibility for their actions and words.

Yes. I personally live by: "What I think is an action". That responsibility comes way before verbal.

I miss the old days of extended families. When you live in a close knit group of varying ages, personalities, etc - - its a give and take world. You learn how to cope with differences, different personalities, different wants, etc. You have to find ways to be congenial to keep a harmonious balance.

I think the "modern" single family unit is very damaging and creates a false concept of the dynamics in the real world. There's just not enough give and take.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm not telling you what you CAN OR CAN'T say.

Say whatever the hell you want. If it offends me and I tell you, it's not my fault you get offended back. You chose to make little mouth noises, I told you were offensive. You can choose to ignore that or play the victim.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It is not extreme. Not at all. Because that is the end result of failure to comply with something that is codified as law.

Think of the most minor infraction you can think of. Lets say Jaywalking. Don't pay the fine, refuse to go to court, and resist being forcefully imprisoned for failing to pay the fine and show up to court. Death is a very possible result.

The law must reign supreme, even if it means individuals have their faces bashed in. Or innocent children have their faces melted off.

It is not extreme. There are threads each and every day where an officer kills someone. Its reality.
edit on 3/18/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

So, free speech as long as it conforms to your standards?

Is that what I said?

I thought I said I didn't support it as an excuse to be extreme, bigoted, abusive, etc etc etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join