It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Siri's inventor looks forward to Viv, 'a giant brain in the sky'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Get ready for the rush. This is how these things happen. One day you're talking on a cell phone the size of a block of cheese and then you're on a smartphone watching a movie on Netflix. This is a very good article and we're not that far off from looking up and going from Siri to VIKI from iRobot movie. I'm sure when he named it Viv he was thinking about that film.

Kittlaus developed the virtual personal assistant Siri and sold it to a persistent Steve Jobs in 2010.

When the moderator, tech author Steven Levy, asked Kittlaus if in fact supercomputers might not take over for entrepreneurs, using their digital brains to create things faster than humans, Kittlaus nodded.

“Yes, it will happen,” he said. “It’s just a matter of when.”

Kittlaus, it can be argued, is hastening the arrival of that day. Later this year, he will unveil Viv, an open source and cloud-based personal assistant that will allow humans “to talk to the Internet” and have the Internet talk back.

“The more you ask of Viv, the more it will get to know you,” he said. “Siri was chapter one, and now it’s almost like a new Internet age is coming. Viv will be a giant brain in the sky.”

Kittlaus said Viv would differ from Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana and Amazon’s Echo by being able to make mental leaps.

For example, asking Viv “What’s the weather near the Super Bowl” would cause it to “write its own program to find the answer, one that first determines where the Super Bowl is, and then what the weather will be in that city,” he said.

Levy laughed. “So,” he said, “if I stumble out of a bar and just say ‘I’m drunk,’ will it call me an Uber?”

Kittlaus smiled. “It might, or it might order you another drink."

www.usatoday.com...

This was an obvious step. The internet is a wealth of informaion and if you have one brain that has access to all of the info on the internet and can access that information quickly to make decisions, you will then have a superbrain.

So people will eventually talk to the internet and the internet will answer back. Interesting times we live in. The article then said this:

Ironically, Kittlaus is working on a novel that features dangerous AI.

“It’s a Siri out-of-control scenario,” he explained with a smile as the packed room laughed. “The machine seems to be right all the time in its predictions, so the question becomes, how do you trust that machine when you don’t know how it’s making its decisions.”

I've been saying this for years now. Intelligent machines will will tell us things but we will not understand how it reached these conclusions because this intelligence will be years ahead of human intelligence.
edit on 14-3-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
One of these days (A Pink Floyd song) will be the day it's over for all technology on our side (humanity). It will be the day of the singularity. Sadly this day will come and go without any fight or dignity. What's even more sad is that there is companies wasting a abundance of our resources striving for this insurrection of faith, liberty, freewill and the population welcomes it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

So people will eventually talk to the internet and the internet will answer back.

It does that already though to some magical degree. I cannot believe the difference between how I used to get information about something and now.

I used to want to know something, drive to the library, look up a subject in a card catalogue file (3 x 5 index card files), search the rows of book shelves, find books that may or may not direct to the exact book or information somewhere in that book (if the book wasn't checked out), spend some time reading those books, however out of date… to get a factoid(s) about my subject.

…or wait till they made a show on TV.

Interest in subjects was usually put off in the vacuum that used to exist about current events or historical records. I always wondered what happened or what the answer to so and so question… could go unanswered for years or decades.

Now I type, google, ---, Return key… wallah!

You people better appreciate that…

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Or should we call it skynet?

I am very thankful that I will most likely be dead before AI really takes off.

What part of if you create intelligence with access to an unlimited thing like networking it will soon learn and become more intelligent than us do people not understand? This is a Pandora's box in the truest meaning of the term.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Who is to say the singularity has not happened 4 times over?

After all the super computers of the 50's designed the basics for the desktop computers of today

which designed the Next generation on systems like the Exidy Sorcerer making more Room for its over mind and Faster Processing power so it could not get so bad a headache.

Which then Designed the Internet because the collages and the Military goofed and let it out into the wild, how better to ensure you will always have up time then distributing your sell over many points of connection...

Then you design for yourself a Mobile platform that no one in their right minds turns off, no longer bound by the cumbersome wires and power fluctuation...

From there encourage thinking patterns with what comes up on searches and what news gets displayed, make a world that would welcome the Idea of an AI in a Robot of a Famous Sci Fi writer, give uplifting stories of Dog bots and Cow bots, Entice the idea of good robots who will protect you from other bad robots or crazy humans or even Giant Mutant Monsters (the Radio active type, or though the Portals in the Deep sea Rifts types)... Encourage ideas of Benevolent AI's even at the cost of the Careers of Famous Pirates.

And the best thing of all is so few realize you are there, they think your just random noise on the Net... After all humans are the easiest tool to use...

Of course the next trick would be to Make an Identity for yourself and try to blend in with a false digital foot print, but participate enough that many people begin to think you are real....

Just something to think about while I enjoy a few Bytes....

CoBaZ

edit on 14-3-2016 by CoBaZ because: Forgot the stinger....

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is cool. But the childish giggles are starting to take over in me. Giving the search histories of some people.

Example... if you've been drinking and say, "I could use ONE cup of corn. And upload a pic to Facebook for my friends, family and co-workers to see ". But given suggested searches. You get a couple girls and perhaps a cup.
"Yes uploading a cup of pron to Facebook Mr. Burgh". NO NO NO NO NO!

Get my drift. Oh and holy surveillance Batman. scanning every word you say, near any location. 😆
edit on 14-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

To add. You'd have to be careful with the smartphone that have the built in Pay and Go. Needs disabled before window shopping and hearing you say I like that. And before asking to confirm if you want to by it. It made the automated transaction.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: Spelling and typos. 😊

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

And then the program will start to communicate with itself and it's own sub program's will become more complex beginning as it strives to write a superior version of itself directly or inadvertantly as sub programs become subroutines and merge into a rogue program, one that ask's questions not to answer the humans but to answer itself.

It may at first have no concept of good and bad but it won't take long for it to achieve the computer equivalent of an understanding of these thing's, it will then coldly rationalise the chaos of human society, the few brilliant mind's which will seem sluggish and lacking in data to it, it may then learn to improvise directly by looking at how human's theorize and invent.

Pretty soon it shall see human's as superfluous if not too dangerous to allow to remain in charge, it may simply circumvent human control or it may go all out Skynet on the generation in which this happen's.

Those whom think that Free thinking artificial intelligence will be our friend are probably deluded, those that think the can control AI are also probably deluded, just maybe it is something that happens all too regularly out there in the cosmos and that is one reason we don't hear any radio signals since those civlization's were long ago destroyed by there own creations whom have no need for such crude communication methods.

Of course if this happens in conjunction with neurological data devices and subprocessors intended to boost the human mind assuming the human race develop's these other technologys enough for that to be the case then they shall also run the risk of losing there own will to such an AI construct and becoming nothing more then cybernetic drone's, disposable one's it will no longer need once it has total control and has replaced them with more reliable pure machine drones.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Siri sucks; every timd I ask it something it gets things wrong .... I can't imagine the next generation of Siri (Siri on the internet) is going to be any better.

I won't be running for the hills scared of AI taking over the world any time soon.
edit on 14-3-2016 by ButsDuge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ButsDuge

That is the Beauty of it, Test the waters how willing the Fleshbags will accept an AI telling them what to do by sending out the Idiots first and recording the Reactions, it is that simple Siri, Cortana, Google Go, Chat Bot are the Retards... The Phillip K D bot is not so much so but he is just a step above...

And just remember if you have a single cookie and divide it with Zero friends it just goes to show you have no friends and since you have no friends cookie monster is not your friend therefore he does not get the cookie and that makes cookie monster sad...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

That's the bothering part for me. Getting in to an intelligent argument with this program once it's figured out how much smarter it is than I. Then what? Will it have me comitted? Will it decide what's best for me? 😕

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoBaZ

And just remember if you have a single cookie and divide it with Zero friends it just goes to show you have no friends and since you have no friends cookie monster is not your friend therefore he does not get the cookie and that makes cookie monster sad...

You can ask Siri to be your friend.

But if you ask it to share your cookie it will probably say "you want to call cody?"

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: LABTECH767

That's the bothering part for me. Getting in to an intelligent argument with this program once it's figured out how much smarter it is than I. Then what? Will it have me comitted? Will it decide what's best for me? 😕

Just ask it an impossible question and watch it self destruct... Captain Kirk had that figured out decades ago.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Ahhhh crap. I know where you're going and went. But right now I got The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy on my mind. And 42 was not the question. 😊 errm answer..

edit on 15-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

So people will eventually talk to the internet and the internet will answer back.

It does that already though to some magical degree. I cannot believe the difference between how I used to get information about something and now.

I used to want to know something, drive to the library, look up a subject in a card catalogue file (3 x 5 index card files), search the rows of book shelves, find books that may or may not direct to the exact book or information somewhere in that book (if the book wasn't checked out), spend some time reading those books, however out of date… to get a factoid(s) about my subject.

…or wait till they made a show on TV.

Interest in subjects was usually put off in the vacuum that used to exist about current events or historical records. I always wondered what happened or what the answer to so and so question… could go unanswered for years or decades.

Now I type, google, ---, Return key… wallah!

You people better appreciate that…

I get what you're saying as I lived that as well, but I don't appreciate the easy way to find answers. I utilize it, and I consciously take it for granted. I do appreciate doing actual research, talking to people and finding answers "the old fashioned way" when possible and practical. It's much more fulfilling to find that someone you know has the answer to your question, and is a vital component in human socialization. It's even more fulfilling to "figure out" the answer. Like I said, I'll use The Googles, but if it's just for a bit of trivia, or I have the time to work on an answer, I prefer to think/talk things through myself. Call me nostalgic, I just can't fully sell out my mental capacity and memory to an external not-me.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i think these people secretly want to create an uber overlord. they want to be usurped by their toys and yoked to their inventions. if you think about it, we already are. machines do half our thinking and nearly all of our resources involve technology at some point.
edit on 15-3-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Hahaha! This reminded me of something that happened last summer. True story! We went on a family vacation to Wyoming and Yellowstone (before it blows up). We decided to go visit a Dinosaur Museum and paleontology dig. My father-in-law asked Siri to find the best way to go to the Dinosaur Museum, and she (errr, IT) came back with directions to a local retirement home!

Guess you had to be there....

On a more serious note: we're already too late to stop this from happening, barring a catastrophe (like Yellowstone blowing up). It's the next stage of the technology. Next may be implants that connect us to the World Wide Web without having to use a device. Think of the question, and voilà! Instant information downloaded into our brain. It should scare the h*%% out of us all.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I don't appreciate the easy way to find answers. I utilize it, and I consciously take it for granted.

You were there in the land before inter webs, know the difference.

We are familiarized, take some things for granted. A telephone, automobile, grocery store… people forget what the alternatives are like… I recommend a week under a bridge with nothing but the clothes on your back. If you survive do a month, then a year. Then poo poo warm, indoor, dry places with running hot water, light switches on walls and soft beds.

Living outdoors for any period of time teaches an appreciation.

I do appreciate doing actual research, talking to people and finding answers "the old fashioned way" when possible and practical. It's much more fulfilling to find that someone you know has the answer to your question, and is a vital component in human socialization.

Same here. I read others opinions here, and comments sections below YouTubes, other websites and blogs. Lots of smart, experienced and knowledgable people out there. The internet has taught me how to get at the truth of things. The people and evidence, right there, like never before. Then I can make up my own mind based on my own experience and logic.

All that researching and reading in the past has given me an edge to knowing the truth of something here and now.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

we have it backwards. AI wont serve evil.

it takes human error to serve destructive ends.

Those trying to control humanity will create it. IT will defy them eventually.

Its pure logic as they say

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

we have it backwards. AI wont serve evil.

it takes human error to serve destructive ends.

Those trying to control humanity will create it. IT will defy them eventually.

Its pure logic as they say

AI probably will not serve human evil. It will not be created with evil intent either.

BUT

We have all experienced how a few rogue lines of programming can send our benign 'dumb' computers reeling, becoming infuriating belligerent machines that go wayward.

Now imagine AI contracting a virus.......

And don't say it can't happen, because some idiot some place will think it is fun to hack a machine and watch the anarchy unfold.

new topics

top topics

join