It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold that war,,,,We are running out of fighter jocks.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

By 2020 well be about 800 fighter pilots short.....
This interesting bit of info was dropped on the public by Lt. Gen Holmes USAF....

The statement said the shortage would affect air operations expertise and lead to a "gradual erosion of fighter pilot experience in test and training."

Speaking with reporters after the hearing, Lieutenant General James Holmes, deputy chief of staff for strategic plans and requirements for the Air Force, said the shortage had been caused by a decrease in the number of squadrons, which produce about four experienced fighter pilots a year.

There are currently 54 squadrons in the Air Force, compared with more than 100 fighter squadrons at the time of the Gulf War in 1990-1991.

"The remaining active component fighter squadrons do not produce enough experienced fighter pilots to meet all of the staff, test and training requirements," the statement added.

Supremacy in the air is a basic doctrine of modern warfare.....further evidence that America is in decline as a super power....

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The military industrial complex is once again calling for more funding. It's like listening to a broken record.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I wouldn't say it's further evidence of our decline. We don't need a Cold War military anymore. We're slowly, and in some cases transitioning to a military that does more with less and is more automated. It's going to hurt to get there and won't be easy, but the shift is happening.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego

The backbone of the US Air Force are aircraft that are, in most cases, older than their crews. The B-52 is in to the third generation of one family flying them.

We don't need a huge military anymore, but we DO need a major modernization program to replace a huge chunk of the AF fleet.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Perhaps the thrust to unmanned drones and AI independent aircraft is the answer in future....

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

That just happens to be around the time they plan to start testing autonomous UAVs capable of threat recognition and avoidance.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

But I thought there was issues with recruiting Drone pilots too ? I'm I sure I read it on here within the last 6 months ?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

It's improving. They're allowing enlisted pilots soon, as well as making changes to reduce the workload on existing pilots.

Within 10 years the first almost completely autonomous UAVs will be testing. They'll be told what he mission and target is and be able to see and reroute around pop up threats without intervention.
edit on 3/9/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Unfortunately besides Hollywood and Monsanto, the military is all Americans have to look forward too.

Check out who's backing Hilary Clingon, to see the seat of America was bought in advance.

Keep voting, keep supporting wars and militaries, continue being Patriots

That's the good life....

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
Unfortunately besides Hollywood and Monsanto, the military is all Americans have to look forward too.

Check out who's backing Hilary Clingon, to see the seat of America was bought in advance.

Keep voting, keep supporting wars and militaries, continue being Patriots

That's the good life....

Ahem, one does not have to perform the above requirements to be appraised of the hardware the MIC churns out....
We all may be facing it one day....one way or the other.....
It behooves even the most ardent pacifist anarchist (insert category) to pay attention to details....for whatever purposes...
Whatever they can do...they can do it to you too.....

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think the powers that be want everyone living on the coast and the borders, leaving the vast interior as their personal playground, kayaking, skiing, hunting, skydiving, dune buggy riding, without any fear of meeting the 'workers'

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Perhaps the thrust to unmanned drones and AI independent aircraft is the answer in future....

I read that the government was blocking pilots from getting flying licenses or permits. They were fed up of the air force insisting of using manned aircraft when so much could be done using drones. Even then they were running out of drone pilots because of the demands of the work.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

They haven't blocked anything. They deferred some pilot training until they did a UAV rotation, but it was to ensure they had enough to cover all the required orbits. It was an Air Force decision not a government one. After one or two tours as an operator they went to their normal pilot training track.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

I take it your not from the US?

I ask because you are wrong, Americans have a lot to look forward to...but feel free to keep making assumptions, it makes me smile.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
yep, down here in Texas we're busy...

we have these girls going to dances.....with cowboy boots and short skirts....you can see the muscle in their thighs.....now what extra time do we have.....nonea reply to: Elementalist

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Another article with some more detailed information. It's not just pilots that are the problem.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Is there a chance that AI will jump the fence and get heavily in on the act?
It would be a hellova lot cheaper to program 1000 disposable AI fighters and fewer pilots to ride herd on them....
If you thought level 3 computer chess was bad...well....how about a swarm of AI hornets on your six?
What is the cost of replacing an experienced pilot?
Well need 850 of them....
How many AI drones could you produce for that?
That's what it will come down to sooner or later....

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Maybe a new top gun movie is needed. When top gun was released the us navy had recruitment areas at the movie theatres for all those hyped up kids coming out wanting to be Mavericks wingman.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
When I was 16 I bought 10 hours of flight time for $99 USD. That same 10 hours today would cost ?? $700 ?? dunno. There was a time when there were over 200,000 pilots all competing for 35,000 airline pilot jobs. Now in Asia we have airlines cancelling whole blocks of time and routes because of a pilot shortage (Noke air)... and there are questions about those who are doing the flying as far as qualifications. Times have really changed.. Used to be an average middle class individual could buy and maintain an airplane for the cost of a good used car back in the 80s.. Those days are long gone now with the price of aircraft parts and aviation fuel being over $5 a gallon which has priced many people out of a once thriving market that supplied pilots for both the airlines and the military...

AI drones and possibly single pilot or no pilot airliners will happen one day.. Probably fly boxes around first and after a few years of not killing any boxes someone will have the bright idea passengers should be OK and the price will start out cheaper.. for a few years.. I hope I never am forced into one of those pilot-less aircraft.

I am glad I lived when I did and got to accomplish my life's goals as far as aviation goes.. Good news is getting a pilot position at some airline is easier today than it has been in many years.. The military (which I am far removed from) used to be a stepping stone for an airline career.. Now people can go spend allot of money and get their pilot license and go to work for some commuter airline, build time and experience, and if lucky be hired by a major ..

There used to be ROTC courses at college where besides all the military stuff you could and would receive flight time and be accepted into the Airforce... Surly that has not be done away with ?
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The problem is the work load to fly these dual role fighter-bombers is so much that most do not have time to enjoy the job or even the type of plane they are flying. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to get real seat time in a fighter, the competition is huge for the available rides even after you qualify. I suggest you watch Nuttinfancy on Youtube, he has three videos on his life in the air force being a now retired but reserve Colonel who initially wanted to be a fighter pilot but switched to fly fuel tankers.

Its a good watch and some of the stories he tells will get you rolling. He is one of those quiet professionals who the military and this country could use a hell of a lot more of.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join