It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami’s oceanfront nuclear power plant is leaking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

The University of Miami has found that the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant, located just south of Miami, has caused levels of tritium, a radioactive isotope, in Biscayne Bay to spike to 200-times higher than normal levels.

Miami’s oceanfront nuclear power plant is leaking

It looks like they found a tracer (tritium) of leaks after FPL overhauled two reactors to produce more power back in 2013.

Here is some more info that I found as well.
www.miamiherald.com...

But the growing saltwater plume triggered regulatory scrutiny. After the county complained, the state ordered a new management plan, called an administrative order, to address problems. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection declined to cite FPL for violating state water laws and instead crafted a plan that critics said gave the utility license to continue to pollute.

It doesn't look like they are doing anything right now to contain it but rather more studies after 3 years?

While the county’s consent decree requires FPL to address the spread, staff said more study is needed to determine exactly what’s going on and come up with a long-term remedy for cleaning up the canals.

edit on 08331America/ChicagoTue, 08 Mar 2016 23:08:54 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So, we have Fuku to west of us, Turkey Point to east of us, and we're stuck in the middle again.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
So, we have Fuku to west of us, Turkey Point to east of us, and we're stuck in the middle again.

No silly radiation is good for you and even if it is bad it will disperse through the oceans and dissolve into nothing more than healthy background radiation which we all need right ?...the oceans are so big it matters not what we dump in there

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

the oceans are so big it matters not what we dump in there

BP sure did try to prove that.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Don't forget BP in the Gulf as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Clowns to the left of us, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle ... fuku ...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Nuclear power, a green energy for a brighter future. What harm can come to the environment when there is no carbon footprint? Always remember that the atom is our friend and that nuclear power produces peaceful radioactivity.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Great. So now the crazies in my home state will glow while they strip naked & eat peoples' faces off.

Yep, I'm not going back there.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

You think that's bad, imagine living within eye sight of a nuclear reactor. :/

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I live between 2 reactors here in Michigan. Palasades and Cook. probably 8,000 jobs between the 2. Fuel change in a couple of weeks will bring another 3,000 in to work. No issues with the nuke plants around here other than the increased snow in the winter that causes a lot of accidents along I94

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Nuclear energy is a clean safe energy source...until something goes wrong.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The canals there is where the Air Force trains their Sea Survival school classes. I worked there for 2 years while in the Air Force and always wondered how many of us would get some form of cancer while working in the canals with the Air Force soldiers that went through the 4 day training . I'm not sure if they still have the school there. If you YouTube Air Force Sea Survival Turkey Point and watch some of the videos, heck you might even see me in them.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Who regulates those things anyway?

Sounds like another major government failure.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Actually in reality and like in most cases its both Private Corporations and the Gov't bought by the Private corporation that are likely at fault here .

FPL likely bought off the EPA to not cite them and FPL is using stalling tactics to NOT address the issue. Plus FPL is responsible for running the plant.

edit on 24331America/ChicagoWed, 09 Mar 2016 09:24:07 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'd like to point out that Turkey Point is NOT IN Miami.

It's in Homestead which is approximately 30 miles away.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

This sounds like a conspiracy between rich corporations and the government. Like It went down in Flint. Can the Federal EPA override decisions made by state? Can the EPA alert citizens of a state problem? I don't know who has final authority.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Technically you are absolutely correct , the tittle was from the article.

I use to boat down that area quite a bit from Black Point marina to turkey point and the keys.
edit on 42331America/ChicagoWed, 09 Mar 2016 11:42:56 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: xuenchen

Actually in reality and like in most cases its both Private Corporations and the Gov't bought by the Private corporation that are likely at fault here .

FPL likely bought off the EPA to not cite them and FPL is using stalling tactics to NOT address the issue. Plus FPL is responsible for running the plant

I bet there are at least a couple of Japanese managers in there somewhere, glued to their chairs, and cannot quite reach a telephone...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Yeah something doesn't appear kosher.

I think their is enough incentive on both sides Gov't and Corporate greed to try the hide things in regards to this leak .

This could be a huge economic impact for the area and huge financial impact to FPL. Not to mention 2016 being an election year. I wonder if Rubio will bring it up as a concern for his constituents , LOL

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

yup....hey, maybe if those oh-so-disparaged government regulations had some teeth, maybe this problem could have been avoided.....but, you know how half of our elected politicians feel about the dreaded "GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join