It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen shot by SLC cops identified as 17-year-old Abdi Mohamed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, let's wait a few days until the rest of the details are available. I am sure the story will change many times before the actual facts are obtained.

Boy with broom stick beating another person, the story is not too clear about how the boy was a threat to the police upon arrival; just that he attacked the officer (s), which is why he is fighting for his life..

It will be interesting to flow this story. The first thing to my mind is "Ferguson". Wonder if Billary will visit these folks in Salt Lake?

The 17-year-old teen shot by Salt Lake City cops — outraging witnesses who said he posed no threat — is in a coma and fighting for his life, according to a new report.

Abdi Mohamed lives with his girlfriend and their son and is originally from Kenya; Mohamed was shot after two cops intervened in a fight around 8 p.m. Saturday near a downtown homeless shelter that is next to a shopping mall and movie theater, authorities said.

When the officers arrived, they found the teen in the street, hitting another person with a broomstick, Detective Ken Hansen said.

Cops tried to break up the fight, but Mohamed tried to attack an officer, according to authorities.

, , , L I N K

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
He did not necessarily have to be a threat to officers but he may have been.

Officers are also required to excercise force necessary to stop a violent felony assault especially when the attacker refuses orders to stop and continues attacking with a lethal weapon.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well he is black so obviously he was a threat. If he was a white man that came from a group that was known to be armed and broke many laws defending someones land, he was murdered.
"sarcasm"

edit on 28-2-2016 by FullBloodedNative because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Posters on HuffPo, AOL, and even here at ATS were quick to lambaste LE involved in this situation with scant details from the breaking news last night. A couple of posters alluded to cops killing kids as a seemingly normal occurrence these days, but I couldn't find data to support their claims.

One things for sure: as details emerge and the public finds out exactly what transpired, the officers involved either were justified or not. In today's climate of LE vs the people, many who view the police as the enemy won't wait for the details of the shooting to place the blame solely at the feet of LE.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FullBloodedNative

Witnesses reported he was committing felony assault and swinging a makeshift club. It is also reported he refused to stop and drop the weapon.

According to FBI statistics, more people are murdered by blunt objects than by rifles of all types or shotguns.

www.fbi.gov...
edit on 28-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

Posters on HuffPo, AOL, and even here at ATS were quick to lambaste LE involved in this situation with scant details from the breaking news last night. A couple of posters alluded to cops killing kids as a seemingly normal occurrence these days, but I couldn't find data to support their claims.

One things for sure: as details emerge and the public finds out exactly what transpired, the officers involved either were justified or not. In today's climate of LE vs the people, many who view the police as the enemy won't wait for the details of the shooting to place the blame solely at the feet of LE.

You say this as if it's abnormal for all those places, including ATS.

Perplexing.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Well, let's wait a few days until the rest of the details are available. I am sure the story will change many times before the actual facts are obtained.

So then why'd you already post this thread

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

I love that you started your thread with this. It's always difficult to get both sides of a story from a news source, especially when these kind of topics are always so polarizing.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My first thought is that if a LEO is pointing a weapon at you and says "stop that," then it is in your best interest to follow those instructions.

If this young man didn't comply with that order and instead decided to take his fight to the officers, I will be the first to nominate him for a Darwin Award. Of course there are a number of caveats to that, including whether the alleged perp had enough time to comply with the order.

-dex

edit on 2/28/2016 by DexterRiley because: syntax

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I live in salt lake and everyone is watching this. A few weeks back a LEO was shot and killed at an accident scene, 2 weeks ago another had his ear severed. It seems people are getting much more aggressive with law enforcement here, and they are reacting likewise. Now you never see one cop even on traffic stops there's always 2 cruisers. Oh and we don't wanna see Hillary Biden was just here Friday.
edit on 2/28/2016 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
More details from other witnesses and the police department. Cops did have body cameras.

Witnesses reported hearing anywhere between 4-6 gun shots go off and said the teen was shot in the chest at least 3 times.

"They had a good, I'd say 50 feet on the kid, told him to put the weapon down, he didn't, he turned towards the cops," said Jake Moore.

This afternoon Salt Lake City Police released more details regarding the incident following a meeting with Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski requesting police be transparent in the case, but their account of the events paint a different picture. In a statement SLCPD said:

" ..Officers witnessed two males with metal objects attacking a male victim. Officers confronted the two suspects and ordered them to drop the weapons. One of the males complied and dropped the weapon, the other continued to advance on the victim and was shot by officers. The male was transported to the hospital and remains in critical condition. The male has been identified and is 17 years old. Because of his age, his identity will not be released."

www.good4utah.com...

edit on 29-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: iwontrun

A few weeks back a LEO was shot and killed at an accident scene, 2 weeks ago another had his ear severed. It seems people are getting much more aggressive with law enforcement here, and they are reacting likewise.

Hmmm... perspective is everything. Could it be because law enforcement has been getting so much more aggressive with the citizens? Of course it could!

Killings by Utah police outpacing gang, drug, child-abuse homicides

But wait... the officers must be in constant fear for their lives, right? One officer has already been killed this year; last year must have been even worse, right? Let's see how many LEOs in Utah were killed by those awful aggressive people on the streets last year... hmmm... I'm looking... and looking... and looking... oh wait! None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

No Utah police killed in 2015

It seems people are getting much more aggressive with law enforcement here, and they are reacting likewise.

Let me fix that for you: It's apparent law enforcement are getting much more aggressive there, and the people are reacting likewise. But you're from that area... so you must already know that.

We aren't doing our law enforcement any good, nor anyone, by turning them into thugs with badges who can kill with legal impunity. What comes around goes around. If cops insist on thinking of the people as the enemy and treating them like the enemy, the people will be their enemy -- a self-fulfiling prophecy. For the same exact reasons LEOs claim to be in constant fear of their lives, so too are the people increasingly in fear of their lives from LEOs. It goes both ways. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Natural law trumps man's law every time, and the whole earth will fall away before one tittle of natural law fails.

If we want blood in our streets, this is one way to do it...

In this instance, for the officers' sakes, I do hope this was a justified killing. Their souls are on the line -- no matter what the legal system decrees.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Quick Quiz:

Name one single death that has occurred from "Broomstick".

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Quick Quiz:

Instances are not publicised but I know of two juvenile corrections officers permanently disabled due to closed head injuries from attacks by residents with such objects used as weapons. They didnt go home from the end of their shift to their families but instead to the ER. When they were able to go home, one went home unfit to hold a job permanently disabled before he was 35, the other unfit for her post in the center and had to be reassigned due to reoccuring medical issues.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cypress

Quick Quiz:

Instances are not publicised but I know of two juvenile corrections officers permanently disabled due to closed head injuries from attacks by residents with such objects used as weapons. They didnt go home from the end of their shift to their families but instead to the ER. When they were able to go home, one went home unfit to hold a job permanently disabled before he was 35, the other unfit for her post in the center and had to be reassigned due to reoccuring medical issues.

Both due directly to a broomstick? Basically a glorified matchstick?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cypress

Quick Quiz:

Both due directly to a broomstick? Basically a glorified matchstick?

Yes the primary weapon in both cases was. One was a wooden gardening rake and the other was a mop. The instance with the rake was premeditated. The mop instance was a matter of the female officer getting caught in the middle of an altercation that broke out during clean up following shower procedure.

There is little difference between a broom handle and a staff or club. The worst restraints with great risk to injury are in physical altercations with any type of weapon and should be taken seriously. Whether you want to marginalize the effectiveness or not by calling them match sticks; catch a swing to the temple and go down against an aggressor looking to injure, if not kill you, that oversized matchstick isnt a funny joke anymore.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Cypress

Well considering the witnesses have said he was at least 50 feet away from them I think it's safe to assume he didn't have a 50ft long broom handle.

A Taser would have been sufficient.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Cypress

Well considering the witnesses have said he was at least 50 feet away from them I think it's safe to assume he didn't have a 50ft long broom handle.

A Taser would have been sufficient.

We'll have to wait for video evidence to show the actual distance, but athletes can cover 40 yards (120 feet) or double that distance in under 5 seconds. If an officer responds to an assault with a weapon, it is justifiable to have a side arm drawn. Do you expect an officer to put away their side arm and pull out a taser when that distance can be covered in mere seconds?
edit on 29-2-2016 by Cypress because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

You say this as if it's abnormal for all those places, including ATS.

Perplexing.

It's to be expected on sites whose readers espouse the notion that most LE are geared towards lethal reactions to the situations they encounter. ATS is different, IMO in that many of the posters here employ critical thinking and base their posts on non-biased information, not emotion. There are exceptions to that format, as evident in the original OP.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

what the hell does "billary" have to do with this, readleader? how can you even find any "dots" to connect. it must be the conservative mantra to tie as many societal problems to the Clintons and/or democrats as possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join