It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious humming sound detected in the dark reaches of the ocean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Researchers have discovered a low hum noise which emanates from the deep depths of the ocean known an the Mesopelagic zone, a region between 660 to 3,300 feet below the surface that's too dark for photosynthesis to occur. The researchers admit that they have no idea where the sound is coming from.

The source of the hum remains a mystery, to say the least. Researchers suspect that it may be coming from an organism, or perhaps many organisms chanting in unison, but no known marine creature could be matched to the noise. It might be coming from a species yet to be identified, or it might be evidence of a new capability of an already-known creature. Then again, it might be coming from a non-living source too.

There's one clue, however. The sound comes from the ocean's mesopelagic zone, a region between 660 to 3,300 feet below the surface that's too dark for photosynthesis to occur. Since food is scarce there, many of the bizarre organisms that call this region home must migrate up and down the water column en masse on a daily basis to feed. These migrations typically happen at dawn and dusk, which coincides with the weird humming sound.

What is this sound for? I seem to remember reading a while back the Earth vibrates like a bell or something to that effect. If so, could this be what the researchers are detecting? Is it the cries of the Earth as the ocean dies? Is it a call to supper or breakfast for the deep ocean life as the article suggests? Maybe it's just the power converter for the UFO sitting on the ocean floor........who knows........What says ATS?

www.mnn.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ia! Ia, Cthulhu!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Farting.

Got it.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
YES!!!!!

I love these mysterious oceanic discoveries!

They are always so mystical and tantalizing. It leaves the imagination soaring, and there have been so many oddities with sound in the ocean since we've been recording.

My hope is giant sea monster!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
mermaid zombies?!?!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Hollow earth perhaps ?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
There is just something about the ocean.

My dad was in the navy and we spent most of my young life near the east coast. I have been in the Atlantic and in the Gulf, but never the Pacific, I would like to though. I love the smell, the feel and just the all around feeling of how friggin tiny I really am when I stare out across the water. The Ocean terrifies the Bejesus out of me. I have never had a bad experience in the ocean, (unless you count being knocked over by a wave in about 3 ft of water).

Ever since I was a little girl though (maybe 8 ish) I won't go out past my knees. I just can't make myself do it.
I find the ocean to be Beautiful and full of all kinds of life, colors, shapes, textures, sounds, temps, darkness, and mysteries.
Majestic in its soothing motion of always up and down and back and forth (even though I get terrible sea sickness).
Amazing because of the new things (animals, ships, planes, and formations) found often on the reachable depths.
Mysterious because there are places in the ocean that we as humans have never been, may never be able to go. ( not in my lifetime anyways), and absolutely TERRIFYING all at the same time.

I get this feeling of being insignificant when I stand by the ocean, not in a bad way, just that there is something bigger, something more powerful than it is given credit for. Maybe the hum is the sound of the planet breathing, maybe its the sound of traffic for lack of a better word.
If you think about it the highways have a special sound and feel all their own during the peak hours of morning and evening commute.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Cthulhu has obstructive sleep apnea. In his city of R'lyeh dead Cthulhu lies snoring.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

According to this is may be huge schools of fish eating or farting, I kid you not

www.npr.org...

According to Simone Baumann-Pickering, a marine biologist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego, the nature of the sound was "more as if you're sitting on an airplane and it's humming, buzzing." The sound starts after the sun sets, she says, and goes on for a couple of hours, then stops. The same thing happens at dawn.

Now, biologists knew that huge clouds of small fish and crustaceans and squid tend to hide in the dark, deep water during the day, and rise up nearer the surface to feed at night. This happens in all oceans in the mesopelagic zone, a fish-rich area of little light that stretches from about 660 feet beneath the sea's surface to depths of around 3,300 feet.

It took hydrophones in the Pacific to reveal that the hum actually accompanies that daily rise and fall of the fish migration.

Why the noise? Scientists can only speculate. It could be, says Baumann-Pickering, that the creatures "are truly, actively communicating — potentially to initiate migration." In other words, maybe the buzz is just a signal that "it's time to go," she says.

But there's another more mundane possibility.

"It's known that some fish are considered to be farting," says Baumann-Pickering, "that they emit gas as they change depths in the water column." The gas comes from a swim bladder inside the fish that controls its buoyancy.

In either case, billions of fish may be jetting up and down in the ocean every day, and making it hum. If so, it would likely be the largest migration of vertebrate animals on the planet, Baumann-Pickering says. She calculates that the weight of the fish amounts to some 10 billion tons.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I guess I believe the same gravitational forces that create the ocean tides, create a resonance within the sphere somehow. So many theories!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I've seen this movie, eventually Godzilla makes himself known to humankind.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
It could be something to do with this: Do deep sea fish have a 'dinner bell' at feeding time?

Baumann-Pickering and her colleagues have found that there is a distinct sound associated with these daily journeys upwards and downwards. The team used sensitive acoustic instruments to record the low-frequency hum the animals emit as they move up to the surface to feed at dusk, and back down to deeper waters at dawn. They aren’t yet certain which animals in the mesopelagic zone are creating the sound, but small bony fish that are abundant in the zone are the most likely suspects, Baumann-Pickering said.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: HAARPO
Ia! Ia, Cthulhu!

Maybe Cthulhu going to work in the morning and coming home at night?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: shockedonlooker
I guess I believe the same gravitational forces that create the ocean tides, create a resonance within the sphere somehow. So many theories!

I was thinking the same thing being that it happens at dusk and dawn. Not sure though because that doesn't always conform to tides. However, and overall effect of shifting gravity and the movement of such a large volume of water on a relatively thin crust could create a creak/moan on the spere of the earth;s crust that sounds more like a hum transmitted through miles of water.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
As above, so below

Strange hums from above, strange hums from below

I still believe these hums and most booms are resonating from acoustic gravity waves caused by the increase in earthquake and volcanic activity in recent years. Look up acoustic gravity waves and professor elenin.

Here's a couple of links

www.sciencedirect.com...

www.gizmag.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ehow.com...

Acoustic Gravity Waves
On a small scale, acoustic waves are driven by the elasticity of the air itself, and they are not dependent on gravity at all. For example, sound travels just fine through the air inside a manned spacecraft where the air is held in place by the pressure in the hull. On a large scale, however, the planet's atmosphere is held in place by gravity exactly as the ocean is, and much like the ocean, the atmosphere has waves sloshing around on it. Unlike the ocean, of course, there is no distinct surface to the atmosphere, which just becomes thinner and thinner with altitude. However, the basic principle is the same: gravity pulls high, dense regions of atmosphere back down where they belong, forcing neighboring regions up and thus sending out ripples of air.

The Importance of Acoustic Gravity Waves
While these waves are acoustic, they occur at frequencies many times lower than humans can detect as sound, and are more easily measured by a barometer than by a microphone. Yet they do produce visible effects, as in the patterns of clouds. Understanding how they behave is useful for explaining and predicting weather and climate phenomena. Scientists have also studied ways of using acoustic gravity waves as a means to detect and monitor nuclear detonations.

And then there's this article from Professor Elchin Khalilov.

www.envisioningconsciousness.com...

Earth sounds analysis by

Earth sounds analysis by
Dr. Elchin Khalilov, a geophysicist and a professor in Azerbaijan.
“We have analyzed records of these sounds and found that most of their spectrum lies within the infrasound range, i.e. is not audible to humans. What people hear is only a small fraction of the actual power of these sounds. They are low-frequency acoustic emissions in the range between 20 and 100 Hz modulated by ultra-low infrasonic waves from 0.1 to 15 Hz. In geophysics, they are called acoustic-gravity waves; they are formed in the upper atmosphere, at the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary in particular. There can be quite a lot of causes why those waves are generated: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, etc. However, the scale of the observed humming sound in terms of both the area covered and its power far exceeds those that can be generated by the above-mentioned phenomena.”
In that case, what could be causing this humming in the sky?
“In our opinion, the source of such powerful and immense manifestation of acoustic-gravity waves must be very large-scale energy processes. These processes include powerful solar flares and huge energy flows generated by them, rushing towards Earth’s surface and destabilizing the magnetosphere, ionosphere and upper atmosphere. Thus, the effects of powerful solar flares: the impact of shock waves in the solar wind, streams of corpuscles and bursts of electromagnetic radiation are the main causes of generation of acoustic-gravitation waves following increased solar activity.
“Given the surge in solar activity as manifested itself in the higher number and energy of solar flares since mid-2011, we can assume that there is a high probability of impact of the substantial increase in solar activity on the generation of the unusual humming coming from the sky. It should be pointed out that solar activity began to rise sharply since early 2011, with its amplitude significantly higher than all forecasts given by a number of influential scientific institutions in 2010 and 2011. Meanwhile, the observed increase in solar activity is fully consistent with the forecast of the International Committee GEOCHANGE published in the Committee’s Report in June 2010. If this growth rate of solar activity continues, its amplitude by the end of 2012 will be higher than the amplitude of 23rd solar cycle, and in 2013-2014 the solar activity will reach its peak the amplitude of which was predicted by us to be 1.5 – 1.7 times higher than the amplitude of the 23rd cycle.”
But you said that the cause of the “sky hum” can lie within Earth’s core as well, what does it mean?
“There is one more possible cause of these sounds and it may lie at the Earth’s core. The fact is that the acceleration of the drift of the Earth’s north magnetic pole which increased more than fivefold between 1998 and 2003 and is at the same level today points to intensification of energy processes in the Earth’s core, since it is processes in the inner and outer core that form the Earth’s geomagnetic field. Meanwhile, as we have already reported, on November 15, 2011 all ATROPATENA geophysical stations which record three-dimensional variations of the Earth’s gravitational field almost simultaneously registered a powerful gravitational impulse. The stations are deployed in Istanbul, Kiev, Baku, Islamabad and Yogyakarta, with the first and last one being separated by a distance of about 10,000 km. Such a phenomenon is only possible if the source of this emanation is at the Earth’s core level. That huge energy release from the Earth’s core at the end of the last year was some kind of a start signal indicating the transition of the Earth’s internal energy into a new active phase.
“Intensification of the energy processes in the Earth’s core can modulate the geomagnetic field which, through a chain of physical processes at the ionosphere – atmosphere boundary level, generates acoustic-gravity waves the audible range of which has been heard by people in the form of a frightening low-frequency sound in different parts of our planet.
“In both cases, even though the causes of acoustic-gravity waves are of a quite understandable geophysical nature, they are indicative of the expected significant increase in solar activity and the geodynamic activity of our planet. There is no doubt that processes in the core rule the internal energy of our planet, therefore, we should expect by the end of 2012 a sharp rise in strong earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and extreme weather events with peak levels in 2013 – 2014.”

But, from the observations, I think its safe to say that these activities are still increasing and haven't peaked just yet.
edit on 28-2-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Both the communication idea and the "farting" idea make a lot of sense. If I had to pick one which would be the most sensible explanation, I'd honestly suggest the fish farts. If many fish in an area are actively controlling their buoyancy at regular periods that repeatedly coincide with going to shallower depths to feed, this would explain the noise well.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
As above, so below

Strange hums from above, strange hums from below

I still believe these hums and most booms are resonating from acoustic gravity waves caused by the increase in earthquake and volcanic activity in recent years. Look up acoustic gravity waves and professor elenin.

Here's a couple of links

www.sciencedirect.com...

www.gizmag.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ehow.com...

Acoustic Gravity Waves
On a small scale, acoustic waves are driven by the elasticity of the air itself, and they are not dependent on gravity at all. For example, sound travels just fine through the air inside a manned spacecraft where the air is held in place by the pressure in the hull. On a large scale, however, the planet's atmosphere is held in place by gravity exactly as the ocean is, and much like the ocean, the atmosphere has waves sloshing around on it. Unlike the ocean, of course, there is no distinct surface to the atmosphere, which just becomes thinner and thinner with altitude. However, the basic principle is the same: gravity pulls high, dense regions of atmosphere back down where they belong, forcing neighboring regions up and thus sending out ripples of air.

The Importance of Acoustic Gravity Waves
While these waves are acoustic, they occur at frequencies many times lower than humans can detect as sound, and are more easily measured by a barometer than by a microphone. Yet they do produce visible effects, as in the patterns of clouds. Understanding how they behave is useful for explaining and predicting weather and climate phenomena. Scientists have also studied ways of using acoustic gravity waves as a means to detect and monitor nuclear detonations.

And then there's this article from Professor Elchin Khalilov.

www.envisioningconsciousness.com...

Earth sounds analysis by

Earth sounds analysis by
Dr. Elchin Khalilov, a geophysicist and a professor in Azerbaijan.
“We have analyzed records of these sounds and found that most of their spectrum lies within the infrasound range, i.e. is not audible to humans. What people hear is only a small fraction of the actual power of these sounds. They are low-frequency acoustic emissions in the range between 20 and 100 Hz modulated by ultra-low infrasonic waves from 0.1 to 15 Hz. In geophysics, they are called acoustic-gravity waves; they are formed in the upper atmosphere, at the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary in particular. There can be quite a lot of causes why those waves are generated: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, etc. However, the scale of the observed humming sound in terms of both the area covered and its power far exceeds those that can be generated by the above-mentioned phenomena.”
In that case, what could be causing this humming in the sky?
“In our opinion, the source of such powerful and immense manifestation of acoustic-gravity waves must be very large-scale energy processes. These processes include powerful solar flares and huge energy flows generated by them, rushing towards Earth’s surface and destabilizing the magnetosphere, ionosphere and upper atmosphere. Thus, the effects of powerful solar flares: the impact of shock waves in the solar wind, streams of corpuscles and bursts of electromagnetic radiation are the main causes of generation of acoustic-gravitation waves following increased solar activity.
“Given the surge in solar activity as manifested itself in the higher number and energy of solar flares since mid-2011, we can assume that there is a high probability of impact of the substantial increase in solar activity on the generation of the unusual humming coming from the sky. It should be pointed out that solar activity began to rise sharply since early 2011, with its amplitude significantly higher than all forecasts given by a number of influential scientific institutions in 2010 and 2011. Meanwhile, the observed increase in solar activity is fully consistent with the forecast of the International Committee GEOCHANGE published in the Committee’s Report in June 2010. If this growth rate of solar activity continues, its amplitude by the end of 2012 will be higher than the amplitude of 23rd solar cycle, and in 2013-2014 the solar activity will reach its peak the amplitude of which was predicted by us to be 1.5 – 1.7 times higher than the amplitude of the 23rd cycle.”
But you said that the cause of the “sky hum” can lie within Earth’s core as well, what does it mean?
“There is one more possible cause of these sounds and it may lie at the Earth’s core. The fact is that the acceleration of the drift of the Earth’s north magnetic pole which increased more than fivefold between 1998 and 2003 and is at the same level today points to intensification of energy processes in the Earth’s core, since it is processes in the inner and outer core that form the Earth’s geomagnetic field. Meanwhile, as we have already reported, on November 15, 2011 all ATROPATENA geophysical stations which record three-dimensional variations of the Earth’s gravitational field almost simultaneously registered a powerful gravitational impulse. The stations are deployed in Istanbul, Kiev, Baku, Islamabad and Yogyakarta, with the first and last one being separated by a distance of about 10,000 km. Such a phenomenon is only possible if the source of this emanation is at the Earth’s core level. That huge energy release from the Earth’s core at the end of the last year was some kind of a start signal indicating the transition of the Earth’s internal energy into a new active phase.
“Intensification of the energy processes in the Earth’s core can modulate the geomagnetic field which, through a chain of physical processes at the ionosphere – atmosphere boundary level, generates acoustic-gravity waves the audible range of which has been heard by people in the form of a frightening low-frequency sound in different parts of our planet.
“In both cases, even though the causes of acoustic-gravity waves are of a quite understandable geophysical nature, they are indicative of the expected significant increase in solar activity and the geodynamic activity of our planet. There is no doubt that processes in the core rule the internal energy of our planet, therefore, we should expect by the end of 2012 a sharp rise in strong earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and extreme weather events with peak levels in 2013 – 2014.”

But, from the observations, I think its safe to say that these activities are still increasing and haven't peaked just yet.

How's it going, Rez.? Haven't heard from you in a while...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Doing good Lostbook. Still at it, of course.

And yourself?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Doing good Lostbook. Still at it, of course.

And yourself?

Still making observations of the world around me. What i see is things are slowly falling apart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join