It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Branded ‘Racist’... School Mistakes Exfoliation Masks for Blackface (Hilarity ensues)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Students Branded as ‘Racist’ When School Mistakes Exfoliation Masks for Blackface Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

The controversy all started when the students posted a Snapchat photo of themselves wearing face masks in the dorms. Seeing as skincare is widely accepted as an uncontroversial activity, they probably thought nothing of it — but Chancellor Beverly Kopper rushed to interpret it as blackface and immediately posted a statement condemning them as racist on the school’s official website. Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

The best part....

In an interview about the incident for local news source Channel 300, Kopper criticized the students for not thinking about “the implications and the impact that it would have” if they took a picture of themselves wearing certain kinds of skin-care products.

Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I read that this morning. Disgraceful - Social media should be allowed for ONLY those with higher IQ's...

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

It's a sign of the times when kids need to protest facial-care products in the absence of anything else. In other words, things must be going good.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sorry, I call BS...They knew exactly what they were doing.
The guy looks guilty as hell for it too...He did not want to be doing that.
The girl though - she was down! for it....

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Exfoliation Mask

edit on 23-2-2016 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Ready! Fire! Aim!

Seems to be the way things are going these days. Last night I was having a beer at a club with a friend (who is black) and he said "Why is it that mostly white people are the ones calling things racist? "

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: unicornholiday
Sorry, I call BS...They knew exactly what they were doing.
The guy looks guilty as hell for it too...He did not want to be doing that.

Got all that from a single picture, did you.

And we wonder why society is the way it is...

He is probably more upset about all of his friends seeing just how 'friend-zoned' he actually is, than about wearing the facial and having his picture taken.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: unicornholiday

Sorry, I call BS...

I second this...they look uncomfortable.

And it looks too neatly done.

When my wife does this it's all over her face...it just seems off.

edit to add, 'cause I think i know how this thread is going to play out....the Chancellor was wrong in making that assumption. I on the other hand do not run a school of higher learning, so my opinion is just that - an opinion with no ramifications.

edit on 23-2-2016 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Maybe she's just "representing" for her "home girls".
She is also "flashing" the "peace, out" sign, thereby establishing her "street cred".

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Grrrrrr....PC!

Biore (a skin care company) makes a CHARCOAL face mask as CHARCOAL draws out impurities (gunk from clogged pores--dermatologically known as blackheads, that term, I'm sure, is not permissible anymore.)

CHARCOAL is used, for its same ability, to purify water, to absorb toxins taken internally (charcoal tablets they are swallowed), etc.

Now if they are used a green clay mask (Queen Helene makes an amazing one) would these kollege kiddies be accused of being insensitive to Martian life forms?

PC is truly insane.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What I think is ridiculous is that the chancellor is trying to blame the students for her incompetent reaction.

There is no inherent implication in the photo. The implication was created because she made a statement that was apparently outside the realm of her ability to form an opinion based on sound judgment.

Then again, I'm willing to bet that she was prodded toward making that statement by other students or perhaps the parents of other students who can't see past the end of their nose when it comes to racial implications.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They should sue her and the school for libel and or slander. They have no proof that these people are racist and they knew their statements would harm the reputations of those students.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The anti-pc crowd will be drooling over this, but, yes it is BS, and they knew what they were doing. Online troll food.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

Sorry, I call BS...

I second this...they look uncomfortable.

I don't get offended by racism. I've been made fun of for my darker skin most of my life. It is not the end of the world. I clicked on this thread for the hilarity.

That being said, not that it should matter, it's just a stupid joke, but I think they did it on purpose. Her peace sign looks out of character, and they do look awkward.

Seriously though, regardless, how is coloring your face racist? I don't get it. "Uh-uh! You're not black! I'm black! You're white!......." Oooooooooook?

The person who got all uppity about this is An idiot.
edit on 23-2-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

ETA: meaning the person from the school who freaked out, nobody here
edit on 23-2-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Ready! Fire! Aim!

Seems to be the way things are going these days. Last night I was having a beer at a club with a friend (who is black) and he said "Why is it that mostly white people are the ones calling things racist? "

To be fair, it's not mostly white people calling things racist. What I've noticed is it's mostly people who only hang out with their own "race". I'm hispanic, and I've got friends of all races. Nobody cries racism. But I've noticed white people who only have white friends cry racism. Black people who only hang around black people cry racism. But people with a nice diverse group of friends seem to be the ones sitting back thinking all the cries are getting ridiculous.

Granted, I'm sure there are examples to prove me wrong, but this is what I've noticed throughout the years. The people who only stick to their "own kind" seem to be the most racist of them all.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

This is priceless.

Harry Connick Jr once jumped on his soapbox to condemn a black face act on Australian TV- it was then revealed that he also did a black face act; awkward....

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I'm also skeptical that they were oblivious to any potential misinterpretation (to put it tactfully) just as I was about the "alarm clock kid" and his clock in a pencil box that looked an awful lot like a miniature version of how most people likely imagine suitcase bombs to appear.

That said, just as with the "alarm clock kid," the reaction by administration was unreasonable to the point of being reprehensible. Overreacting doesn't do anybody a bit of good.

a reply to: ColeYounger

It's still just a "peace sign" but it's interesting that you yourself associate it with "street cred." I don't think anyone whose read your posts will be mistaking you for the typical "Social Justice Warrior" and yet you seem to be picking up on certain cues in the image.
edit on 2016-2-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

When you let one go you must let them all go.
I'm glad that you have a resilient sense of self and are not bothered by white
people demeaning you and placing you as an inferior product.

You stated you are darker - do you mean black? and I would like your honest thoughts on something - have you ever been curious as to why when people state they are anti-pc they are more likely to make incredibly racial/prejudicial comments under that defense? That's always what I find more amusing with the political correctness movement.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

lol ok, so if it was completely covering their face it would be even MORE black face

So how does THAT logic work?

I swear, our colleges have stopped being about higher learning and more about whine fests and entitlement crybabies looking for a "cause" instead of focusing on higher education and doing something with their lives

Churning out legions of politically correct wind bags, who lack the backbone, determination or intestinal fortitude to actual function successfully in a world where the rest of the countries on this planet dont give 2 craps about how offended you are.

Get use to it cupcakes, lifes tough, learn to deal and "Thrive Above It"

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Bald lives matter too. Lol

I have a balding friend and a receding hairline so I can say that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join