It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Said Killer iphone Password was changed 24 hours after FBI took it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Good Morning America
San Bernardino Shooter's Apple ID Passcode Changed While in Government Possession, Apple Says
JACK DATE,Good Morning America 39 minutes ago Comments Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

The Apple ID passcode for the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone was changed less than 24 hours after authorities took possession of the device, a senior Apple executive said today.

And Apple could have recovered information from the phone had the Apple ID passcode not been changed, Apple said.

If the phone was taken to a location where it recognized the Wi-Fi network, such as the San Bernardino shooters' home, it could have been backed up to the cloud, Apple suggested.

What do you guys think? FBI just covering up or trying to get Apple to build a back door? One thing we can confirm: don't trust the government.

www.yahoo.com...
edit on 19-2-2016 by reddragon2015 because: link

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

I am really not surprised unfortunately

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
What does the FBI want? They don't want a backdoor. The "backdoor" argument comes from Apple, not the FBI.

They want:

1. Apple to change the config so the phone does not erase itself following failed password attempts. Just for this phone.
2. A process to automate the process to run the 100,000 combinations, thus saving time. The FBI say Apple can do this If they like.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

What do you guys think? FBI just covering up or trying to get Apple to build a back door? One thing we can confirm: don't trust the government.

Yep.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It will make an interesting legal case and I can see both sides. I'm guessing the Bureau will ask the SCOTUS to bring the case to them and bypass normal appeals. They feel for some reason there's really valuable intelligence on the phone and they're had better be or they'll look like fools.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

in order for them to comply with #1, they would risk security for all the phones...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

all they have to do is get the call records and track down the names of ppl he contacted and do a little background work. But its not about whats on that particular phone if you ask me. I think its about them wanting in any phone they want anytime they want. But what do i know lol.
edit on 19-2-2016 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm I missing the point or is everyone else?

For the password to have been changed it must have been known by the government!

Exactly how would they know it?

And why would they change it without remembering it?

Or am I not understanding something.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

For the password to have been changed it must have been known by the government!

that's what I was wondering.....

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The reporting's a bit mangled...are they saying that Apple can force a backup of a phone to the cloud, even if it's not set up to do that?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What? So the government had access to the phone all along? Maybe it was a government phone, suggesting the entire terrorist attack was a false flag.

It also means that the end game is the denial of civil rights. They've achieved their goal in France, and are close to the end game here in the US. Why else would they change the passcode and then demand Apple provide cracking software? It apparently was not so that they could get at the data, but rather so that they could continue to undermine privacy rights.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

A county investigator reset the password, licking it out, according to the official story.

If you believe the official story that is.

I believe they did it on purpose after getting the data they wanted, so they could use it as an excuse to force apple to give them the master key to every iPhone .

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
iCloud backups are done using user's password I think. But local files on iOS are hardware encrypted on device itself. The iCloud password encrypted using old password, and new password (one way hash) can't decrypt already encrypted data using old password. Thats how I understand. So that data is forever lost. So now they instead want local data via a solution from Apple.

Still now sure how they changed the password without knowing old one, may be they have a hacking tools to change the password.

Looks like Apple's local encryption is rock solid, never backup your data to iCloud if you care about privacy.

As Snowden revealed that Google/Alphabet and Microsoft are founding members of NSA data collection, where as NSA started collecting Apple user's information only since 2012 or so ( at the same time iCloud was introduced Or after Steve Jobs' passing away).

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

A county investigator reset the password,

That seems like a major mistake unless the same iPhone password enables some other access. Some guy who shouldn't have been touching the phone or this whole thing is BS. Password conveniently forgotten?

I think Apple is slowly letting the cat out of the bag purposely.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

A county investigator reset the password,

That seems like a major mistake unless the same iPhone password enables some other access. Some guy who shouldn't have been touching the phone or this whole thing is BS. Password conveniently forgotten?

I think Apple is slowly letting the cat out of the bag purposely.

Ya, it seems like a handy excuse, otherwise known as BS to me too.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Someone posted a link to Wired on the other thread giving more info. But that whole issues seems to be about the chance for it to backup the recent data to the cloud.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
this has been a setup from the start, if not for a new law than a new legal precedent. The Privately owned Iphones where destroyed, the Company phone was not, why is that? Why if it was important, did it not get broken as well ???

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What's a county investigator doing with the phone? It would have been the FBI or Homeland.

No way would they let someone at the county level near that type of evidence.

And it still doesn't explain how this investigator was able to get the first password.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

What's a county investigator doing with the phone? It would have been the FBI or Homeland.

No way would they let someone at the county level near that type of evidence.

And it still doesn't explain how this investigator was able to get the first password.

All valid arguments!

Though I do believe that the iPhone, like most electronic equipment, has a way to reset the passcode to factory specks in case you change it and lose the passcode.

Everything else does.

Which makes for a convenient excuse.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
We need to search Hitlery's email, I'm convinced she has the key to this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join