It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper Lee dead at age of 89: 'To Kill a Mockingbird Author' passes away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wow, what a legend and artist. Dead at 89. What an amazing person and writer. She will surely be missed. RIP Harper...

Nelle Harper Lee, who won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1961 for her book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," has died at the age of 89, multiple sources in her hometown of Monroeville confirmed Friday morning.

Lee was born April 28, 1926, in Monroeville, the youngest of four children of lawyer Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee.

As a child, Lee attended elementary school and high school just a few blocks from her house on Alabama Avenue. In a March 1964 interview, she offered this capsule view of her childhood: "I was born in a little town called Monroeville, Alabama, on April 28, 1926. I went to school in the local grammar school, went to high school there, and then went to the University of Alabama. That's about it, as far as education goes."

R I P HARPER

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
RIP Harper....Brilliant author.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wow, and she just released the follow up to her novel last year.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Ahhh.well...

Thanks Read Leader, I guess...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Named my son Atticus after her masterpiece. RIP . . .

I've heard people complain that she should've put out more material. but for that era and at that time. I believe she probably wrote the only book she ever needed to write. A true staple of american fiction. . .

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Sorry. I thought it was worth while to spotlight the life of a brilliant and wonderful artist and writter

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

It is!

I am just behind on my morning news...

Thanks...you, truly!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

That book taught me about empathy at the age of 13. Something like...

"You never know how someone is feeling until you walk in their shoes".

EDIT:

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view […] until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.

edit on 19-2-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Wow, and she just released the follow up to her novel last year.

Yeah, forgot about that.

Anybody read it?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

No. Is it a sequel?
The original was written at the height of the civil rights movement and was relavent and timely.
A sequel could deal with the fact that no matter how many laws we pass we can't change people's hearts and minds. Or how slowly the wheels of progress actually turn.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

it was prequel, my daughter didn't like it that much

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: and14263

No. Is it a sequel?

It is supposed to be a direct sequel, yes. I will be cracking it open soon. It has been on my bookshelf for almost a year now, but I just haven't found the right time to dive into it. Guess it's now!

edit on 19-2-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

The leftist media hated it because of the historically accurate portrayal of Atticus Finch as a southern democrat of the era. He attended KKK meetings.

So many young liberals are completely unaware that the KKK was founded by democrats and most southen professionals and business owners were democrats and kkk members in that era.

edit on 19-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I will not read Go Set a Watchmen as I believe she never intended to have it released. I believe she was feeble in her old age and was taken advantage of to release the book.

Nelle Harper Lee

Harper Lee, née and known to those close to her as Nelle, spent the majority of her life not wanting Go Set a Watchman to be published. Or, at least, she has spent the majority of her life telling the media that she didn't want Go Set a Watchman to be published.

she was almost completely blind, deaf. and her short-term memory was shot.

I will leave To Kill A Mockingbird what it is. One of the finest pieces of literature ever written

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You know, I've read a lot of books, a lot of literature, both British and American, but To Kill a Mockingbird is one book that has never made it through my hands.

Regardless, I am well aware of the significance the novel holds for many, and she is a true literary legend. She will be missed.

Not every author is prolific, and sometimes, not every author should be.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

No time like the present.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Awww....
We've lost another great mind.
Rest in peace

top topics

join