It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drawing technique questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hello ATS, I am curious if anyone out there has a technique for dulling graphite to get rid of the sheen it produces? For a piece I am doing normally I would use conte crayons and a kneaded eraser, this time around I don't have that available to me. If anyone has such a technique could you post pix of the effect along with an explaination please?

Thanks ladies and gents!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Just spray the end result with matte fixative. I use Krylon. Protects and reduces sheen.

Krylon Matte Fixative

If this isn't available, ask an art store for a comparable option.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Im not able to use that for what I am doing I forgot to mention this is mixed media I am also using oil paint for some sections :0 I have flat clear for my airbrush and I have tried that using 30-80 thinner and it destroyed the oil paint. This was on an unrelated piece.

Hmm you gave me an idea though, you know those crayola clear markers they are usually all white, white cap, white stem, yellow tip they are intended to be used as a blender? I am wondering maybe that would work???
edit on 18-2-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Well shoot. Could you do the graphite, spray it, then layer the oil on top? Some people swear by strong hold hairspray! Maybe try that, I don't work with oil paint, sorry brotherman.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Hmm idk maybe I guess I am just going to have to make a test sheet and try that out on something separate.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Have the same problems though it doesn't bother me that much depending on the drawing off course.
You could try to reduce the pressure and alter your value scale, that works for me but it's harder to get the same contrast.
Another option would be carbon pencils.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It's been ages since I was in drawing classes, but don't they make pencils with more charcoal for this reason? Try a pencil with more charcoal.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Try charcoal or crayon instead of graphite?

Also, use a special clear coat varnish for oil if you wanna coat the paint (matt or glossy) without ruining the colours.

www.winsornewton.com...

Keep on rocking!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

my pencil value is being build using a form of cross hatching with a B and a 2B sketches made with 3H. I have already gotten pretty far in and just don't like the shine. I couldn't for see re doing this piece again. For something like this normally I would use Conte crayon, but Im in the middle of nowhere atm so I got what I got for the time being.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I understand charcoal, carbon, conte crayon, compress and other vehicles are flat. I want to know if anyone knows how to flatten graphite? I am going to try fixative on something seperate to see what that does.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

In that case i should try what Atsbhct is suggesting with the fixatif.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

this is the piece in question, I just don't like how it shines lol I havent applied much paint to it yet I just did a little bit to check the contrast and if it were flat I would love it.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
go over it with graphite powder and the end of your finger or rolled up tissue, it's not ideal but will take the shine of larger area's of black.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

you know thats a good idea too!

a reply to: Rikku
I can give that a try now too
edit on 18-2-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Heavier values (eg. 6B) produce a greater sheen because of reflectability.

Å99

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

yeah I know, i wanna see if I can flatten it

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: akushla99

yeah I know, i wanna see if I can flatten it

You can't. It's the nature of the medium.

...perhaps a different medium that does not have this quality. Fixatives only seal the layer. Graphite at heavier values is shiny.

Graphite pencils are a mixture of graphite and clay. The ratio of clay to graphite determines it's 'hardness' or 'softness'. Clay has silica in it, which is shiny.

Å99
edit on 18-2-2016 by akushla99 because: Tech

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Looks fine by me

I know what you mean. Fixatif could help a little yes, as another member pointed out it's to seal a layer, but if used moderate you can put another layer to the drawing.
There has to be some info on this somewhere on the web.
If you're not happy with the results you know what to do right
that's how we learn.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I look at it very similar to applying flat clear onto single stage paint for vehicles, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I can't see the shine, lol.

Which colours do you use? If you have some matt black oil, you could use it on a bristle brush and cover the shiny parts with a few strokes. Just don't use any thinner and only a little bit of colour.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join