It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again: Win7 updates frozen at 0%

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

OK, that helps, thanks.
We'll probably try that route first.

Then System Restore, if needed.

I'm guessing the only error would be in the one that failed this morning, and no I didn't check.
I can never remember how to get there, I rarely go there these days.
On my old machine, with frequent BSOD, I visited events way too often.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Just type "Event Viewer" in Start > Search Programs and Files and click it in the search results.

There's also an update log (text file) called WindowsUpdate located in the following directory (you might have to unhide AppData):

C:\Users\whateveryourusernameis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\

There's also the "Reliability Monitor" which most people don't even know exists which pulls from the event logs. To open that, go to Start and search "Reliability."
edit on 2016-2-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I got my mother a new PC a few months ago with a fresh install of Win 7 on it. Got it home. And it started auto updating, for the next 51 hours!

51 hours to update. Insane.

And even then about half the updates 'failed', with no reason given by Windows, just 'failed'.

So I switched off auto-updates. Enough of that nonsense.

It's probably trying to download Windows 10 ready for you to decide to "upgrade". That's the most annoying thing about Windows 7. You switch to that partition to do some work, then when you are finished and want to go back to Linux, you suddenly find there are 20+ "updates" that need to be installed. All you wanted to do is test whether a USB cable was working in a couple of minutes ....

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks for the "event Viewer" info.

I actually originally found it in the "Reliability Monitor"...but it is a PITA...and I can never remember to find exactly what I want.
Your method is direct.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
So......the Win Updates are out for this month...GAG!!!!!
And the wuaserv service is acting up....again.
To the point that it was taking up 48% of CPU for way too long.

Hopefully, this will go away after this weekend....but the first few days after the updates are out....it bad...but not this bad.

So, for the next few days...I've just turned the DAMN updates OFF!!!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
For those still having this problem, the solution is simple.
Go to services and disable the windows update service.
Reboot your machine (required, because some of Windows Updates .dll's are not unloadable)
From Programs menu, select windows update.
Set it to "Never check for updates"
close the application
Go back into Services and re-enable Windows update services and set to automatic.
Go back to Programs menu, select windows update and now tell it to "Install updates automatically"

Logjam removed.

There is a bug, never really fixed, that puts this ugly app into a state where
it will spin it's wheels forever and get nothing done, or it will take days.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

My problem is....I don't want auto updates....so does the solution work if I want to pick and choose???

Go back to Programs menu, select windows update and now tell it to "Install updates automatically"

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Absolutely. Instead of automatically installing, there is a choice to download and let you pick what you want to install, or not download automatically but do it on demand. In the later case, you will incur a bit of contention getting the new list enumerated, but it is certainly not as bad as the bug that causes this thing to run forever.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Another question....in Services, what Windows Update service are we talking about?
TrustedInstaller?
Another?

Go to services and disable the windows update service.

And, are you accessing Services via Task Manager?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

To access the "Service" (different from the app), you use Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and find Windows Update Service. Disable it there. The application performs the work, but it relies on the Windows Update Service (which runs in an svchost wrapper) to communicate with the system.

BTW: You probably notice in the Task Manager, when this bug is present, that there will be an svchost process (one of many) that will suck your CPU time. This is the mark of the beast you are slaying.
edit on 28-5-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Okay, found it.....I think I'll wait until the next batch comes out for June....but now I'll be ready!!!
Thanks very much!!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You are welcome. Note that even in Windows 10, this still happens, and supposedly, it was re-written. Hmmm.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Really? I'm still up in the air about even trying Win10....being of the "ain't broke" type of Wiun7 user!

It is annoying...and never happened to me before they rolled out Win10 last year :/

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Really? I'm still up in the air about even trying Win10....being of the "ain't broke" type of Wiun7 user!

It is annoying...and never happened to me before they rolled out Win10 last year :/

Hear that. I have not found anything in Win10 worth the hassle of upgrading my reliable machine for. In fact, they took everything you know and put it somewhere else. Fun, when you need to get down and dirty with it when it screws up.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
An added tip, for those that like 7 but would like some better desktop management, is a product called Fences, by Stardock.
I am one that likes to keep everything I use frequently on the desktop, but depending upon what update you get or a "mystery" event that re-arranges all of your icons, this product lets you organize sets of shortcut and folder icons in categories and keeps them in labeled, fenced-in regions on the desktop that never get scrambled.

It is far better than the poster sized Win10 chaos desktop, and gives you total control of icon sizes, shapes and colors without having to switch back to what they call a "Start" menu. New life for 7 in this regards, and highly recommended. It cost 10 bucks a few years ago, and I think it is still that cheap.
edit on 28-5-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I'll check it out......

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well, it finally happened to me.
That damn winserv just runs and runs.
For hours.

Had to turn Win Updates off completely.
Maybe I'll try next week.

Or maybe I'll wait until next month.

FWIW, I tried charlyv's idea.....but it didn't work
SIGH

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

It has to be the sequence of turning off the services and disabling the application.
Please check very carefully on the sequence in my post that described how to break the logjam.
The reboots between them are extremely important.
edit on 18-7-2016 by charlyv because: s

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join