It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans think that latin American women with Zika should be denied abortions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
OP ... Not all Republicans think this way. It's like saying all Democrats are Communists. So please do not generalize. I know plenty of Republicans who are Pro Freedom, Pro Guns, Pro Choice and don't mind Gay Rights (in that order ... lol).

Killjoy

I was going to find some quotes from Sen. Robert Byrd and post "All Democrats believe ..."

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Does the OP get mad when perfectly good children are aborted?
What about the fetus's that are healthy despite the parent having the disease?

OP is stirring the pot that is all.

btw I wouldn't make abortion illegal atm, so try to flame me. I just want some consistent outrage. OP is just looking to be outraged. nothing new here.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
why is it that whenever a discussion about birth control comes up, everyone wants to talk about abortion? They aren't the same thing ya know. And, well, I don't think that the people in washington are discussion paying for the carriers of this disease to have abortions, there are laws on the books that prevent that. No, they are talking about helping to give women in these countries more access to birth control. Something which the catholic church has already refused as an option, refusing to budge on their opinion on that one. Which is probably why the republicans are trying to avoid the issue.

These countries are highly influenced by the catholic religion, abortion is illegal in most of them, some even when we are talking about small children. So, I don't hold out too much hope that us providing funding for abortions in these countries will ever rob you of your precious hard earned money.

Should we be looking for a way for fight this disease, ya. But they've known about this disease for a long time and well they haven't put that much effort into it as of yet. After all, it's not like this is a huge threat to any of the prominent western nations is it? It might take some time to come up with a solution.

And while we wait for that solution to be found, I suppose that we should just sit back and do nothing, and risk having these countries fact what could be a financial disaster as they try to cope with a generation with a much higher number of special needs children...
all so we don't step on the toes of a religion.....

I am not suggesting that we force abortions onto women, i am not even suggesting that we force them to take the birth control... but they should at least have the option! Just that maybe we should help them get the access to the birth control. What the heck we meddled in countries for less virtuous reasons and spent much more money doing so, heck even bombs the kids to the afterlife!

whoops, guess we are talking about abortions... sorry....
edit on 11-2-2016 by dawnstar because: whoops, guess we are talking about abortions... sorry....

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oh gawd talk about political baiting. Interview a group that you know doesn't want babies killed, ask them pointless question if babies should be killed in another country, act shocked when they say don't kill babies.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think that they took the worst angle they could have to cover the congressional hearing. I am listening to it now.

www.c-span.org.../hearing-global-zika-virus-outbreak

anyone who is concerned about this virus, might be interested in watching the hearing themselves. It's about way more than just abortion, or birth control...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

This is the problem right here. Try to have an adult conversation about a serious issue of birth control and health problems and some people throw a tantrum and start calling people baby killers. You offer no other solutions or even a rational avenue of discussion. Just name calling and childish complaints. Real productive. But hey, it's not your problem or your kids or your countrymen so who cares. As long as you get to keep your false sense of moral superiority that's all that matters.
edit on 11-2-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
well, I listened to the entire congressional hearing, if you want to get the scoop on what they said about abortion, you can just skip to the last two minutes of the video... basically, no, the money will not be going to providing abortions, matter of fact, they will be spending money for training to ensure that no one promotes abortions. they do want some of the money to go to family planning services though, since well, a vaccine will probably won't be ready for over a year. and they want to expedite the fda approval of that vaccine to get it out there quicker if there is still an outbreak. most of hearing was about controlling the misquito population and developing the vaccine, while providing additional information that has been aquired about the virus.

If that was all those reporters who wrote the ops article came back with was that republicans don't want to encourage abortion as an answer, they did a really poor job.

first, listening to this, gives a clear indication that alot of taxpayer money goes into the healthcare system, and the development of vaccines. alot of money has already been spent by the gov't studying this disease, and they are asking for over a million more dollars. considering just have many diseases are out there that they are studying, how many vaccines that have been developed and how many more they want to develop, it's a danged crime when someone's who worked all their lives, helping to fund all this, finds themselves out of the loop and left on their own.

second... it sounds to me that this particular virus goes without even being noticed in most of the people who get it. outside of the fact that it may mutate into a more dangerous strain, the only danger that it is posing is a possible link to birth defects. which if true, ya might justify spending money to find a vaccine for it. But if far more justifies the need to ensure those in the outbreak areas have the access to birth control if they really don't want to take the risk.

overall, throughout listening to this, more than a few times I found myself wondering if maybe this is just a way to send a bunch of money to someone's buddies or worse yet, is it a plan to lets loose a vaccine with more of an intention of killing masses of unwanted people.

expand the access of birth control in the areas affected, study the connection of the disease and the birth defect, at least learn more. but don't push out a vaccine early if it deceases the assurance that it is safe.
edit on 11-2-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

A lot of people see abortion as opportunistic murder of an infant and ageism.

Of course if your pro-choice then it's just a "blob of flesh".

Perhaps there are some complete psychos who see it that way but I doubt any doctors who give them are actually opportunistic murderers. They're just doctors who don't view the world like many religious fanatics who are paranoid of such things. Ageism is about discrimination toward elderly people. You're reaching man. Literally beyond reason too which is why this is such an issue. The inability for some to think about this clearly and rationally.

Ageism is discrimination based on age. Young or old. Your destroying a human being. A fetus us a human being at a certain stage of development. Genetically it is a growing human just the same as a human adult. Genetically it is not the same as the mother or father. It is biologically alive. It grows. Gives off heat. Has respiration. Eats. Gives off waste products. etc

It doesn't matter what I think about it. Being pro-choice allows everyone to think what they want without having to justify what they think to someone else who isn't involved. You can think what you want and I can think like I want. Anything else would not be freedom of conscious. Something you should understand and support too.

I am using biology and genetics to back up my reason for proclaiming that abortion is technically infant homocide.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328
a reply to: ReadLeader

I want some recognition from a post I replied to earlier HERE. "Hit the nail on the Head", "Called It". And I threw in some other topics I have a feeling will be brought to light.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:23 PM

What I want to know is what the main stream media is going to push on this? After the Super Bowl, of course...since it's way more interesting than this issue(sarcasm).

Will this bring about a surge in abortions?
Who is going to pay to raise these babies?...if abortions are not an option? This is only perpetrating poverty into further poverty.(i'm sure everyone knows this argument well).

Is it torture on the family and the suffering child?..Mercy?

Will this promote a surge in stem cell research, which has helped mankind?...and could possibly be used for studies in preventive occurrence?

Why has this Zika virus surged Now? Why not years ago?...is this a man-made doing?

I think theses to be fair questions.

Regards,
edit on th10Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:10:36 -0600K201623629pm2 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Every time a thread pops up on ATS about abortion.

It reminds me of how many future ATS posters/contributors we will never hear from.

I really do laugh at Republican critics spouting their 'belief' in the sanctity of human life.

They really don't care.

Proof is in this thread.

Abort deformed 'children'.

Rather hard to claim the 'moral' high ground trying lecture the RIGHT when the LEFT is standing right down in the muck, and mire with them.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Abortion and birth control isn't about ageism though. It's not about discrimination based on how young they are. That has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard.

Even if it was would it really matter??? We treat people differently because of age for a million different reasons until they become adults anyway. Or should we let babies drive cars, drink alcohol, watch R rated movies, etc. also so they don't feel discriminated against???

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well, I'm not arguing it from a moral high ground or saying anything about the "sanctity of life" so rather than bring up those non-issues why not address it from a purely practical position???

What is so hard about giving everyone the ability to choose???

Why is ok for you to choose for someone else when it comes to abortion???

You were given a choice and choose not to have an abortion. Fine, good for you. Maybe they will to so why not at least let them decide???

You don't have to raise or care for the child or deal with anything at all having to do with them so why should you make their choices for them when it comes to their family???

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

It is easy to claim ownership over another as long as there is no responsibility attached to that ownership. The foster care system in just about every state is overwhelmed. There are 5,6,8,9 yr olds, a precious age, that no one wants to love.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You mean all these Religious Conservatives who are so worried about the poor children aren't adopting them all and taking care of them??? Well, I'm shocked. How can that be??? They seem to be so concerned about them when they're inside the mothers belly. I wonder what changes that they don't care about them anymore once they're born???

It's almost like they don't care about them at all and are just using them as a way to push their ideology on to other people. An ideology which most of them don't follow either oddly enough.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Abortion and birth control isn't about ageism though. It's not about discrimination based on how young they are. That has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard.

It is discrimination. What facts do you have to refute that?...

Even if it was would it really matter??? We treat people differently because of age for a million different reasons until they become adults anyway. Or should we let babies drive cars, drink alcohol, watch R rated movies, etc. also so they don't feel discriminated against???

Do we execute babies because they are not convenient? No.

Is a fetus genetically a human or a gold fish?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

a reply to: MOMof3

You mean all these Religious Conservatives who are so worried about the poor children aren't adopting them all and taking care of them??? Well, I'm shocked. How can that be??? They seem to be so concerned about them when they're inside the mothers belly. I wonder what changes that they don't care about them anymore once they're born???

It's almost like they don't care about them at all and are just using them as a way to push their ideology on to other people. An ideology which most of them don't follow either oddly enough.

The states will decide if abortion is legal or illegal. If the community votes for it then they can allow it.

Personally I think it should be allowed but not funded by the government.
No tax payer funds go to abortions because not all the tax payers have consented to funding it.

Leave the state out of it.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Why does the state or community decide instead of letting each individual decide for themselves???

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
I just cannot imagine this is a solution. There is no guarantee they will even use the contraceptive devices, and what if they fail (they are not 100% full proof). Also, this will not stop the spread of the virus, which may move through saliva. It will stop the immediate impact, but not the spread.

Maybe our government should stop imposing its will on other countries and focus its time and effort on finding a real solution, or, you know, a cure.

And while developing a cure, why not limit the harm done? It's not like we can develop a cure in the next day.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

To me, this is in other countries. I don't see how any of their problems come to our table. We are 20 Trillion dollars in debt and now they want us to do what?

20 Trillion dollars in debt. It seems this means absolutely nothing to people.

I don't see why we are being asked to provide contraceptives, abortions, or anything else to people a half a world away when we cannot afford toilet paper for our own rears.

But that is just me. I understand this illness is a problem, but lets try some off mosquito repellent and let pharmaceutical companies figure out how to kill the virus, and perhaps some of this should be upon the countries in question, and maybe not on us.

Unless someone just has a few trillion lying around and can pay off our national debt so we can start over again.

By the way, this virus is being transmitted sexually too.
edit on 11-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Why is no one in this thread suggestion Off! ? Seriously?

Why 'kill the babies' and conveniently forget about the adults getting the virus.. Off! Can go a long way people! It also helps since this virus is spread in more ways than one, adult to adult.

Try Off! instead of just killing the unborn and forgetting about anything or anyone else!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join