It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else wished they lived in another era?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I like my life now, but every time I see technological advancement and imagine what may be in store for us even one generation from now, I can't help but thinking "It would have been cool to have been born then"; especially in the distant future where humans may barely exist or managed to colonize other worlds.

The same goes for the past too. Watching documentaries about ancient civilization, or even pre-civilization, you'd certainly have a significantly lower lifespan, and a host of other things to worry about, but the concept of living in those times still - for me anyway - is very intriguing.

Clearly this is a topic that spans all types of people, and opinions are going to vary dramatically. Nevertheless, I am curious to know if any of you have ever felt the same way, and what era(s) you would have liked to live during?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
For this reason I wish I could be a time traveler, just to get a taste of life before my time, and in real color.

Even though each era had its hardships and challenges.

If Atlantis is real, then I would have loved to experience that. Also Biblical times. 1300s, for some reason.

Great post! Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomOrion
Ah, the 1300's. The bubonic plague and the Hundred Years War. Wonderful times.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The future is so prone to changing that I couldn't say a future that may never come to pass.
Mutually Assured destruction Is always a possibility since the pissing match got real after the US melted 100,000 people in a couple of days.

I have eras that I would love to visit, but I'm all right with being me, here, now.

edit on 9-2-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Definitely!

I find myself captivated by period movies and literature as well as reality show challenges that ask people to live as people did in other eras. Like this one.

I tend to think there had to be an "ideal" point in time. A time when there was a good mix of simplicity, society, technology and medicine but without chronic war. So, post Civil War, pre- WWI. Plus lots of frontiers and discovery to be found then.
edit on 2/9/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I find the future intriguing except for the real possibility that it will get much more totalitarian. A future with sufficient individual freedom would be awesome, but I'd put the chances of that well less than 50/50.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Every, damn, day!

I dream of walking with dinosaurs.

Of operating space vessels with humans AND non-human intelligences.

I've imagined myself leading some of the great wars, as Alexander the Great, Persian War, Egyptian.... etc.

Dreamth that, I lived as ruler, leader, king, priest ... of some of the most amazing and ancient civilizations; Sumeria, Indo Valley, Egyptian, Ancient Africa, Maya to pre-Biblical.

I'm so fascinated about how things "unraveled", rather bicker about what REALLY happened, I'd love to see the timeliness of humanity before and after its erection on Earth.

But, as much as I love the ancients and his story. ... I think if I were to choose a timeline, it would be when banks are dead, religion dies off en mass, money is expired from human thought.

In a time when humanity figures out that collectivity, balance, and living in states of harmony amongst each other and hopefully non-human intelligences.. will bring in what we perceive as the "Golden Age".

The time when our species is supreme and in harmonic balance with nature and self.

Probably year 4583. But I'll wait

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Medieval Europe or Feudal Japan...

though I can appreciate medicine; headaches didn't have a cure until native Americans taught "aspirin" harvest from willow tree bark.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I know several people who wish they lived "back then". They envision life on the praire or the mountains as the ideal life....Till I start telling them about it. Fleas, lice, no dental work, no medicine, no electric or gas powered anything. You cut and chop your own wood for everything from your house to heating it and anything else you may want to build. Unless you carry tons of rock to build it from. Well, you and a mule or horse because that's the only way to get somewhere. Unless you walk. You have to take care of chickens, horses, mules, goats, etc and get up early to do it. Like, before day break early. And you don't go to bed before they are taken care of at night. After all the chopping and carrying and searching for food and tilling the fields and......
Without them, you starve. You still have to hunt or gather every bit of food and that it every day, day in and day out, for the rest of your life. And by the time you're 40, you're considered an old man. If you live that long , because a disease or infection or someone or some thing else didn't kill you.

Still sound like fun?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the universe.

I'm quite content living in this era, as i don't much like the thought of the hellhole it must have been living in the past...

The future though, who know what that would hold for humanity. What if aliens attacked and enslaved all humans? Then it would be # compared to today, lol.

edit on 9-2-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Well, it takes time to adapt to anything... my advice to those that have discussed homesteading with me? Slowly phase out the modern conveniences you're used too... then it's easy peasy same sort of advice with those wanting to get into the RV nomad lifestyle like I am in myself... buy one and live in it at a local RV park for a year or so to acclimate and about a couple months before start prepping unhooked... and see what you need if you like boon docking. If you find it's not for you or you can't live without? Then nothing lost... and in the case of being in an RV park; decide later not for you you've likely saved a kings ransom for something else and you can get a return on your investment selling your rig already set up in a park.

Where theres a will theres a way, and sometimes the best education is dipping toes directly in... then shins etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I wish I could live sometime between 1830 and 1920.
I could see myself being a bounty hunter or Sheriff or possibly the town gunsmith.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Still sound like fun?

Yes

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: DAVID64
Still sound like fun?

Yes

Going back over your OP it sounds like something you're passionate about imagining... there are many people that I'm sure are curious about life in some other time... meaning there's a need... and where there's a need? It's a start up waiting to happen. I'm sure many people would be willing to pay to play cave man or space cowboy for a weekend retreat. Talk about easy build... buy a strip of land put nothing on it... called in the wild. First people clear and build simple shelter... as income grows so can the slow advance of technology themed spaces... including "space" settings.

Anyone reading can consider this idea open source from me; as pretty much every single thing online from me is unless otherwise stated(very rarely) even though I think ATS technically now owns it... if anyone gets the inclination and puts it in action of course; I'd like to hear about it... as when I do see someone put something in place or expand an idea I open source and they haven't said hey thanks for the idea? Kinda annoying to just see it... though I can understand they may think I want my name associated or some monetary compensation... Famous enough and not interested in money; I just like to know when I'm helping people achieve something... before it's news.
edit on 9-2-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: Auto-correct fail

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

I think the closest thing we are to experiencing life 200 years ago, or 2000 years ago, or 120,000 years ago is going to be Virtual Reality.

What I mean by Virtual reality isn't just the headsets, although it's definitely a start, but a totally immersive experience that really transfers your mind into a virtual world (think 'The Matrix'). Then we will be free to experience such amazing things, and without all the deadly harm that could come if you actually lived in those times.

Although, regardless of the harm, I still wouldn't mind living a full life in the distant future or the distant past.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The 1950's when my mum and dad were young. Just after the war but happier times. A time when romance and innocence still seemed to exist but people were starting to have TV's, record players, cars.

I grew up in the 60's/70's listening to Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, Perry Como etc songs that were hits a decade before. When I hear songs such as 'I cant stop loving you' by Ray Charles they make me long for a time when life seemed simpler. a reply to: Ghost147

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Safer virtually I suppose and hey another way to envision the experience... but if someone wants to experience early life to some extent close to actual... big field of land in the middle of nowhere... here is your faux fur and rudimentary tools anything above stone age forbidden here is our version of Bear G to educate and aid. While that might sound horrible if anyone has camped on their ears for a few days digging roots or spear fishing... there will still be people going woot! I survived and it was awesome... put me to the test and a new respect for that time period. After a bunch of folks like that extreme camping caveman style revenue reinvested could grow other "times" for that experience.

Sorry for any reiteration, I suppose I went too literal with the OP because hey... why wish it when you can live it?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I have always liked the 1950's,the music,the cars , drive in theaters,
Saddle oxfords,bobby socks,poodle skirts, soda shops,American bandstand...
All pre-vietnam stuff!

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: PhantomOrion
Ah, the 1300's. The bubonic plague and the Hundred Years War. Wonderful times.

What a time to be alive! Surely!
Lmao

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
Sorry for any reiteration, I suppose I went too literal with the OP because hey... why wish it when you can live it?

No apology necessary, the only issue with the concept is that you can only go backwards, and you can only go backwards so far until things that used to exist (mammoths, for example) simply don't anymore.

But, it would be a good concept otherwise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join