It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now, a word from "A" sponsor! What you'll spend @ stupid bowl 50

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I know. I'm reading that and thinking, "Man, I'm sure the governments of the US and California are so glad those two teams are playing that game so they can get paid for it!"

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's (sadly) all about the money, huh, Ket?

No other event in the history of the U.S. gets this much publicity, even the run for the POTUS. ...

Thanks again for posting

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Of course they are, it is good for the city too as they get a bunch of people coming in and spending money in the area.
Lots of people making money on this, not just the gov's of CA.
You can bet your bottom dollar plenty of business are loving this.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Broncos bring it. Manning will drink alot of Bud tonight. Another stupid bowl one wins one looses....

History made..

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Yeah, well, if Manning is smart, he'll retire and go out on top.

He's charismatic enough he could easily find a spot in someone's broadcast booth if he wants it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Sports activities are 10% of the national GDP. How can anyone complain about that?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I watched the SUPERBOWL 50 on my tv in my family room.
We had pizza and a couple of drinks.My team won,Yeah Broncos.

Sometimes you just have to take a break from all the doom and gloom.

edit on 7-2-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One of the worst superbowls in terms of enjoyment I have ever seen.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Considered making a post about the commercials that ran during the game. (I only saw the 2nd half really)

I don't have cable and thanks to the internet, never see ads anymore. It's amazing how ridiculous and stupid they are when you don't see them for years.

Half of it is a guessing game as to what product they're trying to sell as you wait for their punchline. It's like they have nothing whatsoever do to with the product they are selling. The Pharma commercials are the worst of the lot.

I noticed more than a few of 'em were at least loosely based on the successful "I'm on a Horse" Old Spice style commercials from several years ago.

And then comes the SHAMING. Helen Mirren chastising anyone who drives after drinking, The Don't Leave the Water on While you Brush your Teeth!!! and other pushy PSAs they throw in there.

And finally, the Superbowl Babies... Yes, it was lighthearted. I'm not made of stone. But it was also disturbing. "Our parents banged on the Superbowl night and that's why we're here!" With an undertone of MAKE MORE BABIES NOW. PAY NO ATTENTION to the OVERPOPULATION!

I'm so glad I don't have cable. So very, very glad.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

Commercials were really crappy this year. I found last year's better.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: gottaknow

Commercials were really crappy this year. I found last year's better.

Me, too. Now that it's over: Raised in Seattle; born in Denver. Can't say I'm disappointed.

Err, umm. (Cough) Go Seahawks--next year!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

www.forbes.com...

Here you go. Basically, even if he wins, Cam Newton will be almost completely underwater on taxes to California.

ftw.usatoday.com...

Win on Sunday, and Newton will pay California a total of $159,560 in taxes in 2016. Lose, and he will pay $159,200, based on an income reduction of $51,000.

It continues:

The result: Newton will pay California 99.6% of his Super Bowl earnings if the Panthers win. Losing means his effective tax rate will be a whopping 198.8%. Oh yeah, he will also pay the IRS 40.5% on his earnings.

Now, you can argue that Cam certainly makes more than his teammates, but this is just talking about the static team bonuses every player gets just for playing in the game. But the only way that his teammates get much relief is if they make little enough to squeak into a lower bracket.

He wouldn't be underwater if the deadbeat paid his bills. He makes over 20 million a year and has a problem paying over a hundred grand in taxes. Cry me a river.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: ketsuko

www.forbes.com...

Here you go. Basically, even if he wins, Cam Newton will be almost completely underwater on taxes to California.

ftw.usatoday.com...

Win on Sunday, and Newton will pay California a total of $159,560 in taxes in 2016. Lose, and he will pay $159,200, based on an income reduction of $51,000.

It continues:

The result: Newton will pay California 99.6% of his Super Bowl earnings if the Panthers win. Losing means his effective tax rate will be a whopping 198.8%. Oh yeah, he will also pay the IRS 40.5% on his earnings.

Now, you can argue that Cam certainly makes more than his teammates, but this is just talking about the static team bonuses every player gets just for playing in the game. But the only way that his teammates get much relief is if they make little enough to squeak into a lower bracket.

He wouldn't be underwater if the deadbeat paid his bills. He makes over 20 million a year and has a problem paying over a hundred grand in taxes. Cry me a river.

No, you don't quite understand. He made $51k for the Superbowl, and owes $100k in taxes on making that $51k. It has nothing to do with being a deadbeat.

ETA: When you add in Federal taxes he actually owes $120k in taxes on the $51k in income.
edit on 8-2-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Way to misunderstand.

Just because he is playing this game in California, any revenue he makes on this game is owed in taxes to both state and federal plus some extra. I have no idea whether or not he pays his bills otherwise.

So basically, every player on both teams is paying for the privilege of beating the crap out of each other. The only monetary winners here are the state of California and the federal government. It makes no difference if the player's financials are in order or not.

This happens to any team that sets foot in California to play a game during the year by that way, not just the Super Bowl, because California is one of those states that has what is called a "jock tax" that taxes professional athletes on the revenue they earn for playing in the state of California no matter where they might actually play as a home team or live.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join