It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop who shot Quintonio LeGrier and neighbor sues teen's estate, claiming trauma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

A Chicago police officer who fatally shot a 19-year-old college student and accidentally killed his neighbor filed a lawsuit against the teenager's estate Friday, arguing the student's actions prompted the shooting and caused the officer "extreme emotional trauma."

Officer Robert Rialmo's lawsuit was filed Friday amid Mayor Rahm Emanuel's efforts to win back public trust in the Chicago Police Department following the release of video last fall of an officer shooting to death 17-year-old Laquan McDonald on Oct. 20, 2014, and other cases of alleged police misconduct.

Cop who shot Quintonio LeGrier and neighbor sues teen's estate, claiming trauma

Well this is an interesting switcheroo. Rather than the criminal suing the cop for trauma and abuse, the cop is suing the criminal, or in this case the family. I'm not sure how I feel about this...I think if things really played out the way the officer says it did, I think he may have a case. But then again, isn't this just a typical hazard of the job? And if he's lying about how it all went down, well then he needs to go away for a loooong time...

If this cop wins this case, it's going to open up a HUGE can of worms.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Yes it will be.

Departments will begin to target people on the basis of what they can be sued for similar to confiscation / forfeiture laws today.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yep, if this case is found in favor of the officer, then every stray bullet an officer fires and kills an innocent bystander with, will mean a payday for the officer. They already miss with hundreds of rounds as it is.

Worst case scenario, bad cops will target bystanders.

Best case scenario, cops will get a payday when they kill an innocent bystander.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Never mind, I misread your comment.

@ OP - I don't think killing a bystander could fairly be called a typical hazard of the job. That being said, I think the lawsuit is utterly ridiculous.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

So let me get this straight.

This asshole is suing the family because he did his job?

Nothing surprises me with stupid cops anymore.

And yeah...you're all stupid just for taking a dangerous low pay job.........

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

And you're ugly.

See how fun silly little personal attacks are?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

Low paying job? Seriously? Here's the Chicago PD salary schedule.

directives.chicagopolice.org...

Chicago cops earn over $70,000 a year after just 18 months on the job. My brother in law who's a CPD detective earns close to 100k per year. Maybe I'm underpaid, in fact I know I am, but that's some pretty good scratch if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
How many criminals have sued for being injured during their criminal acts?

I know there is links out there somewhere. Maybe its just his way of getting back at them.

and reply to IslandOfMisfitToys

TextSo let me get this straight.

This asshole is suing the family because he did his job?

Nothing surprises me with stupid cops anymore.

edit on 7-2-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Just curious, what is the meaning of this insulting post, and why do you feel this way?

Does this insulting post insinuate that all low paying jobs are "stupid"?

Teachers
LEO
Fire
EMSA
?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Law Enforcement generally is protected by qualified immunity laws. If they are doing their job and are within the law / department policies generally speaking they cant be sued. Scotus has issued several rulings that encompass injuries to suspects during pursuits, prohibiting them from suing the officers / agencies involved.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The attorney who brought this law suit is the same one who represented the ex-cop Drew Peterson.

For those of you not familiar with him he was the ex-cop in the suburbs of Chicago who was convicted of murdering his ex-wife shortly before their divorce became final - another wife of his disappeared without a trace.

Drew Peterson gave all sorts of interviews that just showed him in a very, very bad light.

Many people believed his attorney gave him bad advice just for the publicity.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If they let this go forward, than officers should be liable in personal lawsuits as well. Basically he is suing for fulfilling his duties?..the job he signed up and trained for..terrible situation but if you become a cop or soldier let's say..you may be put into a position where you kill someone.
No winners in this story but the lawsuit is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I think police officers should be made of the "sterner stuff" or not choose policing as a career. I mean if the student really Did cause the shooting,the officer should'nt be prosecuted - but for real,he Chose a career as a cop - did he arrive on this planet the day before he made his career choice?

Of Course you are routinely are going to be traumatised in a career as a cop or detective! WTH did he Expect??

ETA: If anyone here has a case of suing anyone's estate,it should be the family of the unfortunate neighbour,and that is If the student really Did make the shooting inevitable through his own behavior.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Was Drew Peterson the husband of Lacy Peterson? Iirc correctly she was pregnant when she disappeared. I recall from the days when i still watched tv,about the Lacy/Lacey Peterson case.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Well I know how I feel about it, cop should be in prison, there are other things but they're not legal to say.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Kind of like how criminals and their families do now.

This will be a fun show to watch.,

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
In a time where the police should be doing their best to win back the public trust, this seems woefully counterproductive. This will only serve to increase the distrust and outright disdain many are feeling towards the police. When the next civil conflict begins, the police are going to have an even rougher time of it thanks to guys like this.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

No, Lacey Peterson was in California...This was Drew Peterson and Stacey Peterson

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
So, if a cop sues the suspect for the 'extreme emotional trauma' the shooting put him in, shouldnt the family of an innocent bystander be able to sue a cop for 'accidentally' shooting that bystander for their 'extreme emotional trauma' the shooting caused>?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I very rarely if ever wish harm or death to anyone, but.....

If anything were to happen to this cop tomorrow I think the only thing that would pop into my mind would be "hah".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join