It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple deadly Zika virus infections reported in NYC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
www.newstarget.com...

"Though Brazil has been hit the hardest, other regions are increasingly being affected. The Zika virus has now spread into New York, where a total of five people have been confirmed as having the tropical disease, the New York Post is reporting."

-So we have to watch out for mosquitoes now?
-If you think about it they are one of the most perfect delivery methods for a virus.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

This is starting to remind me of the ebola panic.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

With the Olympic Games in Brazil this year and all its international visitors, theres little doubt in my mind its gonna go Worldwide..
This could be serious....

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's not deadly, when did it become deadly?

How many has it killed since first discovered n 1947?
edit on 2/2/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think those that claim to have it, want it for insurance purposes. Who wouldn't want to cash out on a cool sounding virus?
Cout me in!!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

They all (and The New York Post actually says 3 people), contracted this while out of the country.

It is only dangerous for pregnant women.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Zika also can give Guillain–Barré syndrome which can be bad (you cannot breath)

And it seems mosquitoes are not the only transmission factor now First U.S. Zika virus transmission reported, sexual transmission cited

So far as I know 3 people have died in Venezuela due to Guillain–Barré syndrome induced by zika, but that country is a black box and cant find a good source
edit on 2-2-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Zika also can give Guillain–Barré syndrome which can be bad (you cannot breath)

And it seems mosquitoes are not the only transmission factor now First U.S. Zika virus transmission reported, sexual transmission cited

So far as I know 3 people have died in Venezuela due to Guillain–Barré syndrome induced by zika, but that country is a black box and cant find a good source

One US source, here, explains how it's affecting people,. Not seeing deaths mentioned, although they seem very possible.

Until recently, the condition was so rare that Brazil’s Health Ministry did not require regional officials to report it. But last year, the authorities in northeast Brazil, the part of the country hit hardest by the Zika virus, counted hundreds of cases of Guillain-Barré, prompting doctors to sound the alarm.

“Guillain-Barré can be a nightmare for those who have it,” said Dr. Wellington Galvão, a hematologist in the city of Maceió in northeast Brazil who treated 43 patients with Guillain-Barré in 2015, up from an average of 10 to 15 cases in previous years. “I estimate that Zika increases by about 20 times the probability that an individual can get Guillain-Barré.”

More...

Most people with Guillain-Barré recover, but their struggle is often harrowing. Patients in Brazil described a creeping inability in their limbs to feel textures, heat and pain, along with sensations of tingling in parts of their body. In severe cases, they can become almost completely paralyzed — conscious but unable to speak or move, as if trapped inside their bodies — and can go into cardiac arrest or comas.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Not again, please.
It's boring.
edit on 2-2-2016 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Bring back DDT.

Problem solved for Zika and other deadly viruses that are spread by the scum of the insect world. We almost had these little beasts killed off and now we are paying for kowtowing to environmental extremists.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

I'm in the hills. Don't run up here...

Now is the time for everyone to make as part of their regular task,s is making sure you don't have standing water in containers on your property.

Des

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

I'm in the hills. Don't run up here...

Now is the time for everyone to make as part of their regular task,s is making sure you don't have standing water in containers on your property.

Des

Hi Des, havent seen you in a long time.
I have standing Evian water in a bottle next to my bed..it's been there for a couple of days, I opened it this morning and guess what...it freakin stinks.

Strange, I though the naïvE water won't get stinky.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Zika Virus

Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment

Symptoms
•About 1 in 5 people infected with Zika virus become ill (i.e., develop Zika).
•The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes). Other common symptoms include muscle pain and headache. The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) for Zika virus disease is not known, but is likely to be a few days to a week.

•The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week.
•Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for a few days but it can be found longer in some people.
•Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.
•Deaths are rare.

Diagnosis
•The symptoms of Zika are similar to those of dengue and chikungunya, diseases spread through the same mosquitoes that transmit Zika.
•See your healthcare provider if you develop the symptoms described above and have visited an area where Zika is found.
•If you have recently traveled, tell your healthcare provider when and where you traveled.
•Your healthcare provider may order blood tests to look for Zika or other similar viruses like dengue or chikungunya.

Treatment
•No vaccine or medications are available to prevent or treat Zika infections.
•Treat the symptoms: ◦Get plenty of rest.
◦Drink fluids to prevent dehydration.
◦Take medicine such as acetaminophen to relieve fever and pain.
◦Do not take aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen and naproxen. Aspirin and NSAIDs should be avoided until dengue can be ruled out to reduce the risk of hemorrhage (bleeding). If you are taking medicine for another medical condition, talk to your healthcare provider before taking additional medication.

www.cdc.gov...

also from above on another page:

There is currently no evidence that Zika virus infection poses a risk of birth defects in future pregnancies. A women contemplating pregnancy, who has recently recovered from Zika virus infection, should consult her healthcare provider after recovering.

I'm not seeing it as all that serious, with the exception of pregnancy which is still under investigation. I am hoping that if I do get it, I will then be immune from ever getting it again. It might be that we should all get it as quickly as possible to prevent it later, especially non pregnant females, so we do build an immunity to it.
edit on 2-2-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20330866]StoutBroux[/po

Do not take aspirin or other NSAIDS (Like Aleve) until Dengue fever can be ruled out...Holy crap. I always take aspirin or ibuprofen when I have fever. I learn something new every day.

Dallas has two confirmed cases of Zika and a couple of years ago we had a bad case of West Nile. I just hope this doesn't turn bad for us (or the rest of the U.S.)

edit on 2-2-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

I read some comments on one of the articles and people were already commenting about canceling their trips to Dallas, sigh... Here we go again!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Deadly virus?

Isn't death rare with Zika? I looked up the death rate and I don't find anything. Wikipedia says no deaths...

Edit: Seems im not the only one who noticed
edit on 2-2-2016 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I believe the people that has been infected is because they have traveled to tropical places where the mosquito lives, Im from PR and the mosquito can be found there too, along with the denque and the chikungunya all the carriers mosquitos are from similar species.

And none of the above virus kills unless it happens to target people with very compromised immune system or complications due to other underlying diseases.

One thing is for sure once you get the disease the body will create antibodies and not vaccine is necessary.

Dengue has never become an epidemic in the US and neither the Chikungunya so I do not expect this new zika to be one
either.

I had the dengue at 14, my family in PR had the chikungunya and they all are alive and well, even my husband and my parents that are in their 80s, my mother had the hemorrhagic version of the dengue back in the 80s and survived she was quarantine for a month because it was one of the first cases of the new mutated dengue.

So, unless the virus turn into a bacteria infection do not expect an epidemic any time soon.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Because mosquitos are drones for some evil entity hell bent on population control?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

They all (and The New York Post actually says 3 people), contracted this while out of the country.

It is only dangerous for pregnant women.

Fact.

P.S. I would rather see your old avatar than your new avatar, sexy as your new avatar may be. Your former avatar was perfectly lovely. Just my .02¢.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Because mosquitos are drones for some evil entity hell bent on population control?

Not necessarily evil.

edit on 2/2/16 by Astyanax because: I forgot to add the quote.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join