It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls basketball team gets booted from league for being too good

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
it's a private league for those who couldn't ball on the school team? if it's a group of girls who didn't make the school cut they obviously know they are not good anyways.

I remember my 6th grade football team which was in a private league we went 0-5-1. scoring 1 touchdown all year. The tie was a game ending with a score of 0-0.

not getting a trophy helps someone understand they need to work harder or find something else to be good at.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Not surprising with the everyone gets a trophy mentality we are propagating.

I remember getting either an award or some little paper with a gold star to say I participated in something starting in kindergarten. From art shows to track meets. This is not new. However, some people make up complicated wording to make it match the equally made up PC narrrative.

Same with things now, like say the Walkathon for charity. I may not even be one of the first 100 people to finish, but I get a certificate and a button or a mug to thank me for participating. I give $10 to the Brothers of St. Francis, they send me a piece teeny piece of saint so and so's robe. I submit poetry to a contest, it may not win..but lo and behold, I get a 'certificate of appreciation'.

I was not born in the last 10 years, so no, this is not new.

And look how you turned out

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You should still be outraged. This is the crap that destroys America.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Well at least they were taught a lesson at a young age.

that;

This world is Fing retarded.

Well on the flip side, how many kids can say their team was kicked out of the league for being too good? I imagine they'll be bragging about this one for the rest of their lives.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
When I was in high school I played ball in a private league. Couldn't play in school, didn't have the grades even to try. I never did homework. Aced tests and blew the curve but didn't do a single homework paper (home life was a nightmare). Barely got through.

In our league one of the coaches had four daughters all in our age group - big amazon girls, lovely and super athletic and very, very good at softball, as were their friends.

They all played in the initial round that assigns you scores and played like idiots.

Then their dad would build a team of them and their friends (normally you have to basically tally the points for the total team within a certain range, to keep the talent per-team fairly steady).

Then they would beat the snot out of all the rest of us in the league all season LOL.

We all knew. So what. Yes, they always won, but nobody died over it, we all still had fun, and they were really a challenging team as opposed to one or two that were laughably pathetic -- so we had a 'diverse range' of team skills to play. We all learned something. I don't have any resentment of it.

I wouldn't have wanted them to bench their team.
edit on 25-1-2016 by RedCairo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

That will teach them. Show offs. You dont do well. It ruins life for others. Do badly and complain thats how we are supposed to do it. Lesson learned.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
When a league doesn't have a level recruiting field, the team that's giving unequal incentives should be placed in a league that has a higher caliber of competitive teams.

If this team has the same level of recruiting and has just put together a great team, than they shouldn't be forced to compete in another league.

Agree. I wish there would be a follow-up to this story to put it in context. If the girls are not on a traveling team, maybe they should be.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
How is 3-0 too good?

Because it's women's basketball?? lol

I can't think about women's basketball without thinking of this episode. lol

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Now, this I really do not understand.

If these young ladies are that damned good at Basketball, why do they not simply get promoted up to a higher league than the one they were playing in? That's what happens in football (the proper name for soccer, for all our cousins across the pond who cannot play rugby properly). I should point out, I hate football, but the leagues make a kind of sense. Your team plays in the league which best matches your teams skill level, so that you always face some sort of opposition, and so that games are always interesting, or at least, that's how it is supposed to be.

I just do not get it.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: xuenchen
I can't imagine what the *REAL* reason is.

Me neither...

I guess I'll point out the elephant in the room... but do you think it's possible that the league was able to boot this team and still save face because it didn't consist of any minorities?
edit on 25-1-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well it's possible most of the teams didn't, depending on the region.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Sure boot the little basketball team. I would think more of an unfair advantage would be someone like Serena Williams.

You know there are irrefutable evidences that differentiate male and female body shapes. It's a no-brainer, but pick on the little kids. Up is down in this unholy world

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I was driven by losing and by not being good at a young age. I got my first plastic filled with sand weight set in 5th grade. I wanted to get bigger and faster. I'll use basketball as an example but I was a scrub. The only time I played was during the halftime show lol. I worked my ass off, got bigger, faster & stronger. Worked on my shot, worked on my jumps. Took me up until my Senior year in HS but I was a starter for one of our best teams in school history. Made Honorable Mention All-Conference.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

ugh, the nerve of these white privileged brats.

If my eyes could vomit.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

She gave numerous other examples and you know that. Point is that this isn't some "new liberal PC campaign" that just started recently.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mulder85

Not sure when you grew up but participation trophies were not around when I did.

You got one when you won, not for showing up.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I like your way of thinking, but there may not be another league in their area that would be appropriate to join. These are amateur kids who couldn't make their school teams. It's already somewhat rare that they have a league in their area for kids who are interested in sports but not talented enough to play for their schools. To expect another league to exist with a higher skill level, but still not a skill level as high as the school teams, is unreasonable.

There's not a profitable industry creating leagues for every imaginable skill level, like there is for professional European football.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm not sure what activities you participated in. You're telling me that you know factually that there were no participation trophies in, say, the 70s and 80s, for things like Tae Kwon Do, wrestling, intra-city basketball leagues, etc.?

I usually find a lot of truth and value in your posts but this smells a little like "back in my day we walked uphill to and from school" ...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: mulder85
I'm not sure what activities you participated in. You're telling me that you know factually that there were no participation trophies in, say, the 70s and 80s, for things like Tae Kwon Do, wrestling, intra-city basketball leagues, etc.?

I played PAL Football, Baseball and Basketball, Little League Baseball, High School Football and Baseball and did both Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu and never got a trophy except when we/I won the championship or I made the All Star team.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: mulder85

I played PAL Football, Baseball and Basketball, Little League Baseball, High School Football and Baseball and did both Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu and never got a trophy except when we/I won the championship or I made the All Star team.

So there was no such thing as a "participation trophy" until, I dunno, 2008 then? Your argument is that there was no such thing as a "participation trophy" or badge or certificate or medal up until a few years ago? That it's an entirely new concept ushered in by our current "obsession" with PC culture?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join