It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media widely used to share facts, lies and misinformation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This is an article I stumbled upon about how misinformation, lies and sometimes facts are spread through social media.

It's written by a guy called Fareed Zakaria, who was also on the receiving end of trolling, online bullying and racism all based on what "someone read on the Internet".

Here's the article from the Washington Post
edit on 183418/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Fareed is main stream news, of course he's going to accuse any but his own paradigm of 'lies and misinformation'.

The result, the report says, is the “proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust and paranoia.”

The difference between the two is minor but apparent. The main stream is one way, top down, at least on social media there are conflicting opinions.

You decide…

edit on 18-1-2016 by intrptr because: external content

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Fareed is main stream news, of course he's going to accuse any but his own paradigm of 'lies and misinformation'.

The result, the report says, is the “proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust and paranoia.”

The difference between the two is minor but apparent. The main stream is one way, top down, at least on social media there are conflicting opinions.

You decide…

While I agree to a degree, it still doesn't defer from the facts found from the study (the main point of my OP).

The study itself is linked on that page, but here is the pdf anyway.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

It takes all types to make a social media stream. Everyone has access, even the jerks. Focusing on that exclusively though is what the study does. What about the truth of anything or event? You don't get that on the main stream, they are the source of the lies about world events, exclusively.

Theres much more to it than that, but thats a different thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
This is an article I stumbled upon about how misinformation, lies and sometimes facts are spread through social media.

It's written by a guy called Fareed Zakaria, who was also on the receiving end of trolling, online bullying and racism all based on what "someone read on the Internet".

Here's the article from the Washington Post

This guy is a known liar and manipulator.

www.newsbusters.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

You used a source that has as its byline:

Exposing & Combating Liberal Media Bias.

Bad source, try again.

Social media is actually RIFE with idiots and misinformation. It's one of the prime tools of those who try to hide things from us. Release tons and tons and tons of lies, and wrap a tiny little truth in them.

The vast majority of people on Social Media, lack critical thinking skills. It's how they get sucked into the space in the first place.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'll say it again. It's not so much about the reporter that I wrote the OP. It's mainly about the study that was done (the journalist wasn't involved with) that was my main point.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

You used a source that has as its byline:

Exposing & Combating Liberal Media Bias.

Bad source, try again.

Social media is actually RIFE with idiots and misinformation. It's one of the prime tools of those who try to hide things from us. Release tons and tons and tons of lies, and wrap a tiny little truth in them.

The vast majority of people on Social Media, lack critical thinking skills. It's how they get sucked into the space in the first place.

~Tenth

They post transcripts and clips. What more do you want?
edit on 18-1-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

A source that doesn't exclusively look at liberal, or conservative bias but both.

And regardless, that doesn't make him wrong in this instance. Do you really think that people on social media aren't just gobbling up lies and misinformation posted to facebook among other things?

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Most of it is reposted on here and remains unquestioned for ages. Treated like gospel.

top topics

join