It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone out there know much about Childrens Mental Health problems?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I could really do with some advice please. I have an 8 year old son who up until 18 months ago was the happiest most outgoing little character you could ever meet although he has always been a bit of a worrier about things like school rules etc and used to get really anxious when he first started school if teacher shouted. He has always been a really popular student with lots of friends but just this past few months has started to think people dont like him, become less and less confident. He has also started having extreme crying almost like panic attacks and hates school.

I dont want to go into the ins and outs here too much but myself and my son were witness to an horrific attack in our local park 18 minths ago which involved a mob with machetes, claw hammers and knives on ine lad. My child has never wanted to go to park since but shirtly after seemed to be dealing with it however more and more he gas gone clingy with me and seems to get really stressed when I am not there. I had been to school at beginning of week to speak to Head to say I was worried and she has just called me in today to say he was hysterical at lunch and said a couple of things which were worrying.

His dad has paranoid schizophrenia and the older David is getting the more difficult their relationship is becoming this upsets David considerably and he doesnt know Michael had an illness so it is difficult to explain to him why his dad is as he is at times. School have told me to stop Michael seeing him for the timebeing.

I am also a carer for my mum who has vascular dementia and she is the only grandparent still alive. She has gone from being a really loving Grandma to disinterested and sometimes has mood swings. David witnesses how upset I get and also feels rejected by her most of the time although I have tried to explain her illness to him.

School have said they think he should see a Psychiatrist and are going to write but also want me to take him to doctors. Something I wanted to do last week but his dad disagreed.

I know paranoid schizophrenia can be inherited and Im just really worried. School did say today he mentionec the incident in park today so that is obviously a contributing factor but Im just wondering could it just be with all the turmoil round him and he has depression or does it sound like something more serious. I just cant bear to think of him growing up with that terrible illness and as his mum Im really scared for his future.

Any advice from someone who knows what they are talking about would be much appreciated.
edit on 15-1-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Your first mistake is looking for advice for such a serious problem...not trying to be a wiseguy but if you kid witnessed such violence you have know idea how successfully he is dealing with the issue. I would focus on PTSD treatment for both you and the kid...

As far as the other issues in your family, not much you can do about that other than move away...you really need to talk to your kids pediatrician to figure out the next logical step...just because he's ok with the park does not mean he's ok with the park...where the hell do you live? Bosnia?

I work with a lot of kids who have witnessed horrible acts of violence and just like a veteran this could have horrible consequences if ignored..
edit on 15-1-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Additionally, his Head said today she couldnt believe that the child at lunch was the sane happy child he normally is. I had tried to explain this to her the other day that although to the world he portrays the happy classroom clown I know as his mother there is something wrong because of the anxiousness and emotional mrltdowns,. He is like two separate children. At the moment he is laughing with friends playing on the xbox on minecraft and no one would believe how upset he has been at lunch.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Stop wasting time on this thread and research the appropriate professional care...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yes. I study psychology at school and I know a fair bit about child psychology.

First: sounds like anxiety and panic attacks. Remind him that panic attacks happen for no reason, and they don't mean you're crazy or going crazy. They also go away very quickly. As a child, I found raising my arms over my head and crossing them and cradling my head in them to help alleviate the panic. Mainly, just reassure him.

I'm sorry to hear that his dad is sick. Your son does have an increased chance of having schizophrenia. What you need to do is be there for your child and build his confidence. You guys witnessed something traumatic--and an acute stress reaction is a natural response. I think the two of you should consider counseling to help deal with what you saw.

You need to be honest with your son. If he asks the question, he deserves a true answer. Kids are very smart. And they understand more than most give them credit for.

Do you believe in God? If so, teaching him about Jesus would be helpful.

Remind him that his grandmother and father love him very much. And that you love him very much. Your son sounds like a sweetheart. Please don't put him on medication. This doesn't sound like schizophrenia or anything like that. Help him learn how to deal with stress and anxiety. He sounds like he's highly sensitive--and gifted.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I would suggest counseling, in light of the fact that you both witnessed a horrific-traumatizing incident. Counseling at it's core is just about talking about issues and we know that this is one of the most beneficial things you can do in this case.

If you hadn't mentioned that incident, I would have thought he was showing classic symptoms of being bullied. Even when asked about it, a large portion of children won't talk about being bullied with their parents. They keep it bottled up inside.

I would further recommend a hobby, that he can throw himself into such as art, music or chess. But my first thought would be Martial Arts which can give him the confidence and awareness to combat bullying...to relieve some of his fear of being attacked and to start giving him some real confidence. He will also start to build a new circle of friends and create a new support system.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

For an acute stress reaction and anxiety?

Really? You want to put a child on anxiety medication?

Or, God-forbid they misdiagnose him and put him on something worse. There's a big problem with the over-medication of children. What this boy needs is love and support and understanding. There's nothing wrong with him. Panic attacks don't have a cure. They just happen. He is able to be normal most of the time--and honestly, after witnessing what he witnessed, along with the stress of his grandmother and father, the boy's reaction is NORMAL.

Asking for advice is never a bad thing. I also suggested that they seek counseling. But no, the kid isn't sick in the head, okay? He sounds like a nice little boy.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The UK in a small quiet town. It was terrible, it was a beautiful summers day 4.00pm park was packed with families and my child was playing on scooter and from no where a lad came flying across the floor nearly knocking my child over and about 15 teenagers jumped on him. I was screaming for them to stop and looking helplessly round me I then saw the weapons and just grabbed my child and no one did anything! I had just left my friend 5 minutes before who is a fireman he said it was a good job he had left with his child because otherwise he would have had no choice but to help. I rang the Police immediately and they could hear my child crying hysterically and they never so much as visited as promised. When I rang to complain they said those type of crimes were rare and the guy had nearly died. I told them I couldnt believe no one helped. He could have been murdered and men just sat there.

They promised to put David in touch with victim support but time went o and nothing came of it. I spoke to school at time but they said go to doctors if you think he needs help! As he seemed to forget about it and was more back to happy self I thought things were fine.

Thr only thing I cam think has triggered it is the Paris attacks. I dont discuss things like that with David and I dont have news on but he came home from school talking about it and said it had been on Newsround at school!! Obviously older children have spoke about it as well he said. Ive told him nothing like that will happen here because we are a safe Country but he has mentioned it since.a reply to: chrismarco

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
You appear to have the choice of taking direction from your child's pediatrician...or from a psychology student in a conspiracy website. I know what my choice would be. Good luck to you and the lad.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

He has PTSD.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sorry for talking about it on here but child is plaiying happily and sometimes it just helps to speak to people removed from situation. We have been baking tonight and had some goid quality time and he has said he would like to speak to someone. I am a trained councillor myself but in person centred with adults. Obviously I am too close as his mother. I just really needed some reassurance that it is something like PTSD which can be dealt with rather than the beginning of more serious mental health problems.

There has been some bullying recently his best friend has left and a group are excluding him.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Nobody here can possibly make a diagnosis without seeing him, regardless of their qualifications. Go to your GP and ask for a referral to the Child and Adolescent Mental Heath team. They can do a thorough assessment and provide treatment if required.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Sorry for talking about it on here but child is plaiying happily and sometimes it just helps to speak to people removed from situation. We have been baking tonight and had some goid quality time and he has said he would like to speak to someone. I am a trained councillor myself but in person centred with adults. Obviously I am too close as his mother. I just really needed some reassurance that it is something like PTSD which can be dealt with rather than the beginning of more serious mental health problems.

There has been some bullying recently his best friend has left and a group are excluding him.

Is it possible that aside from recent events he is picking up on your own anxiety?

If you work in mental health, look after an ailing parent, are dealing with his situation and his fathers ilness maybe you are projecting more than you realise.

Kids are far more astute than we give them credit for and if he see's himself as the man of the house he may be worrying about you on top of everything else.

I sent you PM earlier btw.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: chrismarco

For an acute stress reaction and anxiety?

Really? You want to put a child on anxiety medication?

Or, God-forbid they misdiagnose him and put him on something worse. There's a big problem with the over-medication of children. What this boy needs is love and support and understanding. There's nothing wrong with him. Panic attacks don't have a cure. They just happen. He is able to be normal most of the time--and honestly, after witnessing what he witnessed, along with the stress of his grandmother and father, the boy's reaction is NORMAL.

Asking for advice is never a bad thing. I also suggested that they seek counseling. But no, the kid isn't sick in the head, okay? He sounds like a nice little boy.

Who said anything about psych meds jack ass?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The mental health community has no idea what your doing prepare yourself for a lot of bs.

I'm bi polar ADHD and have a tbi trust me I know.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I think its just fine to look for support on a message board, but first things first, get him and maybe yourself professional help. Watching someone get hurt is traumatizing, especially for someone who is very young and never seen it before.

I would say that is definitely the trigger, everything else may have been manageable before, but after the trigger is making things worse, going downhill.

Professional counseling will only help, even people with no problems at all can benefit from this type of help so please start looking for a good child psychiatrist, and one for yourself.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

"The mental health community has no idea what your doing prepare yourself for a lot of bs.

I'm bi polar ADHD and have a tbi trust me I know. "

says the self-acclaimed bi-polar/adhd person

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Definitely, go to your doc and get referred to counseling. The trauma you both experienced does need to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Sorry to hear, it sounds like he's picked up a bully trolling him at every turn feeding on his positivism as a weakness out of perhaps jealously.

You could try opening up a dialouge with him in an round about way if he seems to withdraw from directly addressing an issue, like renting a movie with a scene of bullying with a positive outcome and make a comment or two about how youve possibly been bullied and how you handled it off hand, perhaps that way you dont have to probe or have the conversation directly and can offer off hand advice to him that way and gauge his reaction to know if indeed it is a bully, since most schools are the grand pecking order and hell because of it? It's very likely the cause.

Bullying is a very difficult situation for a child that eats so very many children alive inside with turmoil that makes things very difficult to talk about except with a close friend. So it's very understandable you feel helpless concerned and wondering whats wrong and trying to find how to help.

often when a parent finds out their child is being bullied they over react and the system does little to stop the bullying as physical contact has to happen for them to really intervene so the scene the parent makes at the school makes things way worse than before... so please bear that in mind as it would cause him to be pecked and become more of an outcast the bully makes him feel like already.

perhaps another option if possible is switch the school he attends to remove him out of the environment or if home schooling is an option.

it's a difficult area to tread, and I wish you luck

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

A conspiracy web is not the place to ask for opinions. This is serious. Go to a professional. Im in medicine...and you are seriously in the wrong place to get competent medical advice or opinions that will just hide and confuse the real issues as everyone is different.

This needs attention ASAP. There are enough questions youve stated for me to know the answers are not here. Please. Please. Go get help. Now. Please. Not here.

God Bless and good luck...

MS
Emergency Medical Tech
Advanced Disaster Life Support
Emergency Response Team

* And with all my medical experience? I am only qualified to tell you I am not qualified to help. Go get professional help. Please.
edit on 15-1-2016 by mysterioustranger because: splchk

edit on 15-1-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join