It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants to Spend $4 Billion to Fill Our Roads With Autonomous Vehicles

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

We have horrible infastructure in the USA. its aging rapidly and we somehow want to have autonomous vehicles? What about that great rail system idea that never happened?

I'm also way more excited about solar roads anyways

also, I'll never believe that my government cares for my well being. Next thing you know you have police stopping your vehicle at a flip of a switch

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: baglady333

While they are at it maybe they could get the vehicles to fix the infrastructure of our road system with some of this 4 billion.

It would require it since you have to redesign the road. They hide sensors under the pavement and thr money this would save thr economy would be far more than 4 billion if they got it to work. But I would dump any stock you have in macco. Since accidents could be a thing of the past.Cars are already being equipped with sensors to prevent accidents.
edit on 1/15/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I like it. Maybe replace Uber. Perhaps one day we won't even need to own a car.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
its actually a good idea and I don't say that about obama that much but he does have some successes. Tesla got funding under the green funding during the first part of obamas term. Self driving cars are going to bring back business to bars in a big way! So I would invest in liquor/condoms and planned parenthood quickly if this idea takes off. I can also see lift and uber going all autonomous driving vehicles and people getting dumped in the process. Ford is already planning to create its own lift/uber with autonomous vehicles.

at first it will be buses then taxi's.

party bus anyone?
limousines?

The cars interior will change dramatically.
car pooling will be done by companies who own the vehicles with a fleet of self driving automated cars picking up its employees. I see having a personal car for self use will seem pointless which will mean fewer cars on the road. Gas will drop in price insanely as the push of electric cars will be the goal of every company which will make electricity jump in price. Investment opportunity maybe

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jobless1

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
lately half of my post will go missing? i don't understand? even if i repost them with the other half it shows nothing?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: jobless1
lately half of my post will go missing? i don't understand? even if i repost them with the other half it shows nothing?

Cut and past the bottom half in a new window

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The Feds funded Google, and its the biggest "spy" on the internet.

Now the government will be funding driverless cars, so they will know where you are and have been!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes

i did that and it shows nothing however when i go to edit it showed what i copied and pasted

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: TonyS
The Feds funded Google, and its the biggest "spy" on the internet.

Now the government will be funding driverless cars, so they will know where you are and have been!

Hell, lets be real, they know where we are now if they so choose.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

The Left wants to grab control of everything. This is so obviously a path to totalitarian hell. The reach for power over the American citizen is astonishing. The media will call it social, community, helping the downtrodden. It all leads to a state of infantile automation. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9

The Left wants to grab control of everything. This is so obviously a path to totalitarian hell. The reach for power over the American citizen is astonishing. The media will call it social, community, helping the downtrodden. It all leads to a state of infantile automation. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Oh Jesus - the businessmen capitalists are the ones who will monetize it and create jobs for Christ's sake.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Big news, we won't see it fully implemented for a few years though.

The longer the better.
Automated vehicles like buses and trams I can live with but they can keep their filthy paws of my private vehicle , no tracking software in there thank you.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I have nothing but contempt for Obama. He is an idealistic fool. I won't own a smart gun, and I will never buy a smart car. I like to dive.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The real way forward is not introducing autonomous cars into existing traffic. People need to be taken out of it completely. Allowed to operated without humans bunging it up, they'll save lives, get us there faster, and use less fuel. With humans also driving, the cars will have to be bloated with every kind of sensor you can imagine, just to anticipate what the tutu-wearing crack-fairy (there's an actual story behind this, I'm afraid) in the car ahead is going to do next.

I totally believe the 94% stat. Humans are completely incomprehensible from a distance, and nearly infinitely distractable behind the wheel.

"Say baby, how would you like to destroy all humans? "

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The western world wold be better off with bullet trains IMO....I am all for autonomous cars but I want bullet trains more.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Oh, it goes way beyond that. They'll make it to where in certain locations such as the major metro areas, you won't be able to drive into the cities unless you're car is capable of driving itself and is plugged into the traffic management system. If you live outside the city and don't have a driverless capable car, you'll be forced to leave your car at a park n' ride to catch a bus or an Uber or to rent a driverless car. In a sense, it is another cash for clunkers program, without the cash, because it will obsolete most of the vehicles on the road today. That would seem to be a huge boost to the economy and it may be at first, but I posit that it may usher in a new era where the "privately owned" automobile will be out of cost reach of most people, which of course is precisely what the Controllers want; autonomous personal mobility scares the hell out of the Controllers and they are determined to reign it in as much as possible.

This trend is accelerating much faster than I'd imagined and I'd expect we have less than 20 years of driving as we know it. What that means is that probably by 2020, anyone who buys a car had better be very careful because they could be buying something that's obsolete or unusable in many areas within 5 years.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
my question is where the hell does this number come from?

For this to actually be researched enough to be viable, and then the roads made to where this can be implemented , its going to take WAY more than 4 billion dollars.

Sounds like another vastly under researched and politically motivated stunt by the Obama administration.

Obama looking at the news paper: "Hey , whats that"
advisor: "oh some people trying to make self driving cars"
Obama: "Cool! Throw money at it, I want the research on my desk in 10 min!"

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The biggest problem with autonomous cars is that they actually follow the rules of the road too literally. Human drivers often do not and the computers do not know how to react in those situations. I'd say this technology would work if no one was driving, but I wouldn't trust it in a see of distracted and impatient drivers.

The biggest area of opportunity though for this is not passenger cars but trucking / transportation. Truck drivers have got to be concerned. Now truck loads can be driven cross country with no driver breaks other than to refuel. This technology could seriously lower costs of transportation as it relates to shipping goods.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see the "qualifications" for who gets the money.

Cronies and campaign donors most likely.

And of course, the failures will be rewarded as "trial & error" victims.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join