It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Vows to Keep us Canadians From Accessing it's US site.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
From the Toronto Sun.

TORONTO -- Netflix says it's planning on cracking down on users who use virtual private networks and proxy services to view content not available in their countries. Many of the company's distribution deals with major studios and content providers are negotiated on a regional basis, meaning certain titles are only available to users in certain countries. Some Canadians use VPN services to stream Netflix movies and TV shows available in the United States, which according to the website Netflixable has around twice as many available titles. The U.S. version of Netflix also features more Hollywood blockbusters and recent seasons of popular network shows than its Canadian counterpart. In a blog post, David Fullagar, Netflix's vice-president of content delivery, said the company is making progress in licensing content across borders but is now implementing new measures to end the use of so-called unblockers and other proxy services. The company has always been against the use of such services and has said it takes measure to shut them down, but Fullagar said the company is "evolving" its approach to the problem and the new strategy will be in place in the coming weeks. According to a April 2015 report by Media Technology Monitor, roughly two in five English-speaking Canadians has a subscription to the video-streaming service, with nearly one-third saying they had accessed the American version of the service.

Link

I really can't imagine how they'll get around the proxy servers most Canadians use to access the site, but I certainly don't know everything about security.

Our Canadian Netflix is much different than what US customers have access to, and I understand the licensing involved, but come on! Now that the majority of cable providers in Canada provide on demand services with more titles, I predict Netflix will lose most of their Canadian customers if the strategy keeps proxy servers from accessing the U.S. site.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I really don't think they can track it. Even if they did a sampling and found you accessed content from the US, you think they would cancel you? NO way.

So many (like me) watch unlimited TV and new release movies for NOTHING. From free streaming sites and places like Pirate Bay. For a lot of people Netflix is obsolete and they know it.

I dropped TV and Phone form my ISP. My tenant found a way to get the sports he wants on the net, that was the last hurdle. I still watch all the TV shows I want, movies the day after they are in the theater (often) and find new TV series I missed before.

Netflix is pretty lucky to be getting any money.

I won't send you to the movie sites...I have no idea of your anti virus capabilities. But look for coke and popcorn on google. Great site for TV. Easy to navigate.

edit on 14-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

coke and popcorn has a phone app too. can be a bit awkward, but once learned is great, a lot better than showbox app

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I agree with everything you said. Soon, entertainment distributors will need something new to draw in customers. No one minds waiting to access content because there's just so much to watch.

Must see TV is almost dead.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I agree with everything you said. Soon, entertainment distributors will need something new to draw in customers. No one minds waiting to access content because there's just so much to watch.

TV is almost dead because they keep cancelling good shows like FireFly. Put all these modern crap shows. Some of them aren't even realistic. Sci-fi TV shows are dead. The only sci-fi thing left is in the movies. Even Horror movies went backward since 2000's.

Prepare for Hollywood doomsday when all you going to see is Super Hero movies(Marvel). Good bye.
edit on 14-1-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Man, people really loved Firefly. Why did it get cancelled? I can't think of even one TV show that was cancelled that I was upset about.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
They can most likely point certain packet sniffing tools at your IP, and tell not only if you are on a VPN, but what device you are using. These tools exists, so there is not much question that the capability exists.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

a reply to: makemap

Man, people really loved Firefly. Why did it get cancelled? I can't think of even one TV show that was cancelled that I was upset about.

I never saw Firefly, but you reminded me. I'm gonna start watching it.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I really can't imagine how they'll get around the proxy servers most Canadians use to access the site, but I certainly don't know everything about security.

They are going to go after the big hosters and domains. You can probably setup your own proxy server and they won't be able to find it .

This is not NETFLIX pushing for this , this is likely the Content providers. So if they show Due diligence as go after the big guys that will keep the content providers at bay. The content providers are the ones that have been enjoying the gravy train far to long and are un willing to change to their ways.

That is why Netflix and Amazon are becoming content providers,.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I would just like to say in big capital letters - THANK YOU!!
I had never heard of Coke and Popcorn before, and, I am -so- happy right now, looking through what programmes they have available

We barely get anything in Australia, and this is all up to date, and woo!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I predict Netflix will lose most of their Canadian customers if the strategy keeps proxy servers from accessing the U.S. site.

1/3 of Canadian users have accessed the US Netflix, but you predict that Netflix will lose most of their Canadian customers if they prevent them from accessing the US.

Somebody's math seems off

But yes, the Canadian Netflix sucks in comparison.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Math was never my strong suit, but those are just polled reports, and don't reflect the actual numbers of who is really using the American platform.

When we had Canadian Netflix, most of the titles were Bollywood movies.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

TV is almost dead because they keep cancelling good shows like FireFly. .

The pain is flooding back....

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I canceled Netflix ages ago. Pure garbage programming. I only like some of their anime that is apperently Netflix original such as Kights of Sadonina
And The Seven Deadly Sins. But those are pretty much available online for free anyway.

Trying to convince the wife we don't need bell TV is my next hurdle. 500channels nothing to watch....

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I've been trying to get the SO to nix the cable as well, but he really enjoys watching soccer, and we can't get a free place to watch it live. But yeah, we get about 700 channels....of nothing.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
This is not NETFLIX pushing for this , this is likely the Content providers. So if they show Due diligence as go after the big guys that will keep the content providers at bay.

It is the Canadian telecoms pushing it.

Bell recently had a hissy fit over it, even claimed that using VPN's was criminally illegal (which it is not).

Just more of the same, guys are trying to protect their market share.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Kodi is the one to watch, we're on our last subscription package.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

I canceled Netflix ages ago. Pure garbage programming. I only like some of their anime that is apperently Netflix original such as Kights of Sadonina
And The Seven Deadly Sins. But those are pretty much available online for free anyway.

Trying to convince the wife we don't need bell TV is my next hurdle. 500channels nothing to watch....

NetFlix is actually a real bargain. There are a thousand fold more subjects,programs and movies available than show up in their search tabs, but people do not know how to effectively search for them. Here is a great little app that does just that:

NetFlix Search Code Directory Engine

edit on 15-1-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv
Its taken my partner a while to convince me, but I'm on maternity leave at the moment so like the rubbish daytime tv shows, but in the evening we catch up with all our tv shows on Kodi, so I agreed no renewing our subscription.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It's easy to enforce. They just look at which country your bank account that you pay your subscription is in and limit the content by that country.

Sure if you have an account in another country you could bypass it that way.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

So be it,
however, you will never get close to the programming exposure on Kodi, than the little app I put up previously provides.
Try it out (but you will need an NetFlix account).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join