It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant icebergs are slowing climate change, research reveals

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Awesome more weather analysis substituted for climate analysis. The point of all those links was to show that global (read: not just in the Southern United States) temperatures have been breaking records every year for the last 11 years+. Which is a climate trend.

You should really learn the difference between weather and climate. It's making you look foolish.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You do understand you can't use only your environment to make this end all claim right?

That isn't how this works, that isn't how any of this works.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

You might not think it matters, but even if it were one guy on his own on one speck of the earth that was releasing 40 billion tons of CO2 (annually), it would be just the same as it is now. The fact that a Namibian farmer does not release a great amount of CO2 does not make any difference. Nobody acts like nothing else matters.

If other things matter then take this into account.

Another interesting perspective was given by a new global map of European Commission's Joint Research Center which was published in the World Bank's World Development report in 2009. According to the report, 95% of world's population is concentrated on just 10% of world's land surface. While only 10% of the world's land is classified as remote or more than 48 hours from a large city. So we can either state that most humans now inhabit only 10% 0f world's land, but we have the rest 80% well connected with roads, highways, farmlands.etc. So depending on time taken to travel, we can say that humans now inhabit 90% of world's land leaving only 10% for wilderness.

The rest is rural and not producing as much harmful chemicals, etc as large cities.

If you want to target the people doing the damage, look to your big cities and densely populated areas. Here's an atlas of population density. I just don't think that small amount of people are causing the weather to change.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So why does your opinion magically hold more weight and credibility than actual data and studies that say you are wrong? That's called confirmation bias and closed mindedness.

Because none of those climate scientists ever take into account, anything outside of major cities. Instead of making everyone combat global warming, perhaps they should start making laws in the obvious places.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The earth hasn't had humans on the planet doing what we do to the planet for all that time.

Not really a fair comparison.

Yeah just giant volcanoes everywhere!

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Who is saying it is the small rural areas doing it??
You keep going on about that...

link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

So why does your opinion magically hold more weight and credibility than actual data and studies that say you are wrong? That's called confirmation bias and closed mindedness.

Because none of those climate scientists ever take into account, anything outside of major cities. Instead of making everyone combat global warming, perhaps they should start making laws in the obvious places.

You literally just made this reasoning up on the spot.

link   

The earth hasn't had humans on the planet doing what we do to the planet for all that time.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Edumakated

The issue is the source data that is used to come to those conclusions. It has been shown to have been manipulated.

Manipulated, how? Exactly?

30 second google search..

Fiddling with Temp Data

Tracking Climate Fraud

Climate Gate

I am not going to debate whether global warming is real or not. I don't have an opinion. However, having done complex modeling in the past, I know how important it is for data to be transparent. The issue is that it appears scientist are manipulating data to support their hypothesis and they then are refusing to have their methodology challenged. This leads me to believe that they have something to hide.

Everyone with a lick of common sense knows we can't predict the local weather a few days out with any certainty, yet we are supposed to upend trillion dollar economies on models looking 20 -50 years out into the future for the entire climate of the earth? These models have been wrong time and time again even when they go back and adjust for known events.

The earth is complex and it is the height of arrogance to think that man can predict what mother nature will do.

Pretty much how I feel. And like I said, the hotter the scientists say it gets, the cooler it is in the South, so I'll keep leaving lights on and rumbling around in my big truck with my big V8 because the way I see it, it's only helping things.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

You wouldn't think you were being so clever and witty if you applied a small bit of critical thinking to what you just said. The volcano element still exists on the planet. Human carbon production is in addition to the volcano element.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Ok. But my small town and all the towns withing hundreds of miles of my town are all on cooling trends, so whatever is causing this extreme heat is causing milder Summers and colder Winters. Much colder Winters, down here.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Why do you ignore the question being asked? Exactly?

According to my calculations, the question involved in the subject of the conversation occurring between yourself and I at this current moment is not directed at myself so I, as a neutral bystander, asked said question from the angle not in the direct line of fire.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Awesome more weather analysis substituted for climate analysis. The point of all those links was to show that global (read: not just in the Southern United States) temperatures have been breaking records every year for the last 11 years+. Which is a climate trend.

You should really learn the difference between weather and climate. It's making you look foolish.

Like unemployment figures, sea level data has been tampered for a desired outcome. If you bothered to look at raw data from TOPEX satellite you'd see no sea rise outside the multi century norm. And if the raw data is wrong then someone will need explain why sea levels are rising given Antarctica has been gaining ice.

Likewise the tampering of US temperature records borders on insanity. People cannot be stupid enough to swallow that recent temperatures are hotter than the 1930's dust bowl.

link

edit on 12-1-2016 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Like unemployment figures, sea level data has been tampered for a desired outcome. If you bothered to look at raw data from TOPEX satellite you'd see no sea rise outside the multi century norm. And if the raw data is wrong then someone will need explain why sea levels are rising given Antarctica has been gaining ice.

Why didn't you post it then? Also, Antarctica isn't gaining ice. Well nothing beyond seasonal ice that will melt in the summer. Antarctica is losing TONS of ice though.

Also, your graphs are terribly sourced. The ones about US temperatures isn't sourced at all and the other one just goes to a random website that just shows the graph but no other content to see how that graph was developed.

Likewise the tampering of US temperature records borders on insanity. People cannot be stupid enough to swallow that recent temperatures are hotter than the 1930's dust bowl.

Since when has the US equaled the entire world? Are you aware that many of the significant hotspots around the world occur over the oceans and not land?
edit on 12-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Well good. I'm enjoying every second of it. The hotter it gets everywhere in the world outside of the South, the cooler it gets here. Bout damn time. You can run and duck for cover from the heat before it kills you. I'll enjoy these amazing summers we've been having. Then we can both be happy.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Your source (Anthony Watts) is not reliable.

And yes, the average annual temperature in the US has exceeded that of the dust bowl on several occasions in the past decade. But you know what an average temperature is, right? It means the average temperature, for the whole year. It is not necessarily a matter of particularly high temperatures. Though there are more all time high temperature records being set than all time low temperature records.

edit on 1/12/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Right. I'm just telling you that the hotter it gets elsewhere (apparently all over the world) the cooler it gets here in the South. I think it's ironic.

BTW, what are you doing, personally, to combat global warming?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Got some numbers with that?
Or should I just take your word for it.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Because scientists are blaming this man made part on 10% of the Earth.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Do you know what I've dealt with on the East coast for the last 3 or 4 years? The East coast has been breaking cold record temperatures while the rest of the world has been hotter than usual, HOWEVER I'm not naive enough to suggest that just because it was colder than usual in the east that that is the case everywhere else.

Here's a map from jan to jun of 2015.

Source[ editby]edit on 12-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join