It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three funerals this week...cancer!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Three wonderful people were honored and grieved by friends and family this week.

On Monday it was a 74 year-old neighbor who had spent his adult life teaching, coaching and mentoring kids. When he wasn't working with or on behalf of the children of the community, he was doing volunteer work with community organizations. There is no way to begin to estimate how many young lives were impacted by his patience and kindness.

On Tuesday it was a 39 year-old mother who lost her seven-year battle with the demon called cancer. She was the daughter of a classmate of mine. I've known her since the day she was born. She always wanted to help people. In her job in the health care industry her unfailingly cheerful and compassionate attitude earned the respect and affection of staff and patients alike.

On Friday it was a 60 year-old university professor of anthropology. My professor, my mentor and one of the best friends a person could ever have. Like my neighbor, he taught and mentored people of all ages. He listened. He treated his fellow humans with respect.

I am deeply sad that our community has lost these three beautiful people. I like to think that the heavens gained three stars. We have wonderful memories to dull the ache of loss.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

It killed my father at 33 years of age so I all I can do is offer my condolences for you for those you have lost. It hurts when people who do so much for others die because it hardly seems a reward for such selfish behaviour. The idea of a guardian angel left my perspective when I also lost someone else very dear to me when a teen.

What seems so strange is how some families don't suffer from this disease whilst others seem to suffer member after member falling.

I also can't help wondering why we are so far from finding a cure when the current one we have on chemo seems to so so much more harm than other cures for different diseases. The hair loss is an absolute head f--k especially for women and it hits many blokes also. Surely we should be coming up with something b ether by now with the investment in this research?

Incidentally this disease seems to have been around since the neolithic because last night on tv archaeologists after examining skulls found there said they showed signs of diseases such as cancer. I was surprised at that.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about all those losses in such a short space of time. Interesting it's been around for such a long time. Treatment is coming on rapidly now for many cancers. I think we are on the verge of so every interesting treatments coming for the most deadly cancers. I think hormone and genetic treatments will play a big part in the future

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
What struck me as I thought about them was that all three were the models of healthy living. None of them smoked or drank to any excess, were conscious of their diet and were incredibly active.
When my 74 year-old neighbor was diagnosed 18 months ago he made the decision to live out whatever time he had left on his terms, not those of the medical profession. His cancer was inoperable and he refused chemo or radiation. He continued with his normal activity levels until just before Christmas. He enjoyed his time with his friends and family.
My 60 year-old friend aged 10 years in the 21 months since his initial diagnosis. He worked tirelessly between hospital and doctor visits to wrap up his research and get it organized to hand off. He was told six months after his initial surgery and chemo that he was cancer-free. Six months after that he was told it was back and it was at Stage 4.
My friend's daughter called herself a walking-around medical experiment. She managed to battle the demon for five years longer than her doctors ever believed possible.

It is incredibly sad to think that our home will never hear the sound of their laughter again.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Uncle at 64
Mother at 72
Dad at 83
High school friend at 27
High school friends son at 11

Yes I agree, cancer is a bitch.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

My friend's daughter called herself a walking-around medical experiment

I know that feeling all too well....
Too many losses.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Im very sorry for your losses.

This year in my world, cancer has claimed so many lives its unbelievable. This vid is very enlightening as to how cancer was introduced into our society through the Polio Vaccination that contained the Monkey virus in the 50s. I recently read that the virus can be transmitted to our children and through sexual contact.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

It always seems like the good die young. Cancer is definitely an evil plague on humanity. I think a lot of people can relate because cancer has affected so many families. I'm really sorry for your loss.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The frustrating part is that people are accepting this as a normal means of dying when it should not be...I'm so sorry for all of you and your losses...we all know someone who has died way too early from this disease that is basically created by man. There are cures out there (Vice-Killing Cancer) that were supposed to be FDA approved in 2015 but I'm sure there is a great deal of money to be lost should a cure be developed..I'm not trying to derail the thread and I'm sorry if it looks that way but I'm so upset with the frequency of this disease along with the mortality rate. It make me so angry!!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

SnF for the thread and I hope this is appropriate dd.

When someone I know moves on I always like to here this one.

edit on Ram11016v13201600000038 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The loss is irreplaceable.

That fact it was cancer? So what?

Semantics, from what I can see.

In an overview, 20,000 people pass on per day in the U.S.. Having had cancer and, so far, defeating it. Mortality hasn't diminished in the slightest in my mind. If not cancer, it will be something else. Apparently, unavoidable. LOL.

I say this ONLY to wax philosophic, not to diminish the loss. The list of ways to pass is long and varied.

I now believe we spent too much time....and perhaps money(?) worrying which way it comes to pass. (At least, on an individual/personal basis.)

An expert-a real one- told me if we live to , say 95, 90+% will test positive for cancer cells in their prostate no matter what.

Bodies wear out. Period. Enjoy your time. It's more rewarding.....

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker 56 million people die a year

Heart disease is the biggest cause of death. www.who.int...

edit on 10-1-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I also understand this statement as well. All too well.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Of all my issues I have managed to keep my heart healthy thus far.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: Gothmog

I also understand this statement as well. All too well.

Me loo. I feel like my job is a guenea pig for cancer research. I find some comfort in that.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose I think my heart will be the only thing worth donating.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

If I smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years and then died from lung cancer, well that's on me. So what.

If I live a healthy life, follow all the dietary rules, excercise daily, etc....and die from radiation poisoning, that's NOT on me...and "so what" becomes offensive in a sense.

Yes, we all will pass away, some tragically young, some when they approach their cenntenial, some suddenly through carelessness of self or of others, and some will pass from long, painfilled days of agony by cancer or other terminal issues. "Death by 1000 papercuts".

I congratulate you on your victory thus far and sincerely wish you better health with each day passing.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Mine, while healthy today, has little chance of bringing life to someone else. I have nothing donateable except money.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: nwtrucker

If I smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years and then died from lung cancer, well that's on me. So what.

If I live a healthy life, follow all the dietary rules, excercise daily, etc....and die from radiation poisoning, that's NOT on me...and "so what" becomes offensive in a sense.

Yes, we all will pass away, some tragically young, some when they approach their cenntenial, some suddenly through carelessness of self or of others, and some will pass from long, painfilled days of agony by cancer or other terminal issues. "Death by 1000 papercuts".

I congratulate you on your victory thus far and sincerely wish you better health with each day passing.

I completely agree.

What, I believe, you miss is the qualifier I put in the post referring to 'on an individual/personal basis'.

There is a social responsibility and there's no doubt about it.

However, dwelling on an 'issue', resenting, as you say, CAN take away from one's 'balance'. Take away from overly dwelling on the how, which is beyond one's control as nothing else in this universe.

Rest assured, remove every human caused early 'departure' and it'll still come from somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
That's a lot to lose so close together like that! My sympathies to you and the families and all who loved them.

I love this song and play it when thinking of my Mom and Dad who have passed away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join