It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Cheif Justice Effectly Bans Same-Sex Marriage in the State

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It's the same as the little "chapel" that refused to marry gay people... a couple of interesting comments from the article...

In their appeal, the Giffords argued that the venue was not subject to the state's Human Rights Law, because their farm did not constitute a place of public accommodation. They further argued that, even if Liberty Ridge was bound by the state's nondiscrimination law, the couple's refusal to host the McCarthy's wedding does not qualify as unlawful discrimination.
That refusal was not based on the women's sexual orientation, the Giffords argued, but rather on their own religious views about marriage.

So, they offer their farm (a business) to the public, but don't think it's a public accommodation. (Where do they get this stuff?) Also, they say they weren't breaking the law, although the law is VERY clear. Lastly, it's not that the couple was gay, it was because... Religion.

Silly people...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm just gonna stick this and all related here, rather then new threads. I don't think those who are interested in this subject will object.

So, enough about Islam. (sorry, couldn't resist
)

Tennessee House Panel Rejects 'Natural Marriage Defense Act'

After failing to win enough votes for a bill they believed would overrule the Supreme Court on marriage equality — an idea which has no basis in law — the Tennessee legislation's sponsor and its supporters gathered in the committee room to pray their fight isn't over. (wish I knew if that photo is actually from this event - - really scary).

The legislation sought to nullify the U.S. Supreme Court's marriage equality ruling in Tennessee and it died Wednesday in the state House in a 4 to 1 vote by members of the Civil Justice Subcommittee, according to the Associated Press.

The "Natural Marriage Defense Act" was sponsored by Republican Rep. Mark Pody of Lebanon, who claimed he was called by God to promote an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as being only between a man and a woman. He argued that a voter referendum on the issue passed in 2006 denying marriage equality should still stand regardless of the U.S. Supreme Court's Obergefell decision last June. www.advocate.com...

Also:

Sweeping 'License to Discriminate' Bill Proposed in Georgia: www.advocate.com...

At Least 11 Alabama Counties Refuse to Comply With Marriage Equality: www.advocate.com...

Kim Davis Is Back in Court, Defiant as Ever: www.advocate.com...
edit on 21-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And this...

Lawmakers Want Exemptions for Gay Marriage Opponents

Months after the Supreme Court effectively legalized same-sex marriage, lawmakers across the U.S. are pushing bills that would give businesses and some public employees the right to refuse serving gay couples because of their religious beliefs.

The American Civil Liberties Union opposes such bills and says variations have been proposed in 22 states — mostly by Republicans, though they aren’t universally backed in the GOP. Top employers, including Delta Air Lines, Home Depot, Porsche and UPS in Georgia, warn the proposals are unwelcoming and bad for business.

I find this to be the most interesting comment...

“This should not be a zero-sum game where everybody wins on one side and everybody loses on the other,” Haynes said.

People see "two sides" to this issue, like one is the opposite of the other. Religious piety vs equal rights...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
People see "two sides" to this issue, like one is the opposite of the other. Religious piety vs equal rights...

Is it really piety though? I see it as religious imposition.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't really know what to call it... Piety doesn't really work, but imposition definitely covers it. What I meant was religious superiority.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I don't really know what to call it... Piety doesn't really work, but imposition definitely covers it. What I meant was religious superiority.

That it certainly is. 'My marriage is more naturaler than yours! Neener, neener.'

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Update:

Roy Moore has been suspended for the rest of his term for defying federal court orders on marriage equality. Source

Nine months after instructing Alabama’s probate judges to defy federal court orders on same-sex marriage, Roy S. Moore, the chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, was suspended on Friday for the remainder of his term for violating the state’s canon of judicial ethics.

It was the second time in his contentious career that Judge Moore, an outspoken conservative, was removed as chief justice, and it followed his most recent star turn in the nation’s culture wars.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thanks.

I was gonna post that, but real life got in the way.

He'll age out before he can do anything.

I suppose he'll try to go for an appeal.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join