It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind-reading computer deciphers words from brainwaves BEFORE they are spoken

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
SOURCE: Daily Mail UK

Snippet:

Technology identifies distinct brainwaves produced for different words
Scientists said they can decipher words with up to 90 per cent accuracy
It could allow people to communicate in the future without having to talk
Device may even allow people to issue instructions to robots by thought

Can you imagine all the possibilities this technology could lead to? Imagine someone sleeping and they are thinking in words. Could we record the imagined words of someone dreaming? The obvious would be silently sending commands to a computer. Using computers to send thoughts back and forth between those who can not make audible sounds. Alerting police or security of a situation silently and so forth. I fing the mind to machine possibilities very interesting.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
SOURCE: Daily Mail UK

Snippet:

Technology identifies distinct brainwaves produced for different words
Scientists said they can decipher words with up to 90 per cent accuracy
It could allow people to communicate in the future without having to talk
Device may even allow people to issue instructions to robots by thought

Can you imagine all the possibilities this technology could lead to? Imagine someone sleeping and they are thinking in words. Could we record the imagined words of someone dreaming? The obvious would be silently sending commands to a computer. Using computers to send thoughts back and forth between those who can not make audible sounds. Alerting police or security of a situation silently and so forth. I fing the mind to machine possibilities very interesting.

That would be perfect for people with cerebral palsy or and dissorder like that. This is awesome news! S&F

Edit.. I was just thinking... It could bring a new meaning to "enhanced interrogation" aswell. This is by far the coolest invention i have read about in years!
edit on 42116p34206 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Very neat technology haven't checked out the link yet but I am curious to know what this device means for people in a comatose state or those who have never had the ability to talk. I wonder in the cases of those who are mute if their brain waves would still be in the same pattern as a person who has verbal abilities. Just because they have never used those pathways would the device still function for them.

Side note I want one for my dog!

a reply to: machineintelligence

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It won't work on Yooper dialect.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Very neat technology haven't checked out the link yet but I am curious to know what this device means for people in a comatose state or those who have never had the ability to talk. I wonder in the cases of those who are mute if their brain waves would still be in the same pattern as a person who has verbal abilities. Just because they have never used those pathways would the device still function for them.

I never thought about the animal aspect of it. Thats a good idea too. But that might take a long time, and probly depends on what words animals would recognise and remember and at least half ass know what those sounds/words mean or bring about.
edit on 15116p31506 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well they know quite a few English commands curious if that's how they think the command too.

I can see this having a serious gaming application also. Avatar control and what not.

a reply to: snypwsd

edit on 6-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

So far it is only been done in the Japanese language, and it detects words just before they are spoken so I would imagine that the subject would have to be able to form words in their brain for this technology to work.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The information will still be limited by the platform/data is produces, and if you can "play with the data", theoretically I feel that people could use this technology to falsely incriminate people

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

On a more sinister note; with various anti terror laws and extra judicial rendition taking place, dissent against the Corporate fascism that we will soon be living under will be a thing of the past.

Court orders based on expert witness's using the above technologies will be sufficient for "pre crime" silencing and disappearing of those who would whistleblow or try to bring any "justice" against the status quo

Scary times indeed

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
My internal dialogue would read something like coffee,coffee,boobs,coffee,games,ATS,boobs,
coffee,beer.....*sigh*

At least I am honest!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
ive been getting this for 2 years, someone already has 1.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sanitizedinfo

Not unless you are going around all day with a head full of electrodes. It isn't remote. It requires you to be harnessed up to a large pile of lab equipment and not moving around.

And it's got a big ol' 25 percent accuracy on some words. It's worse than my car's audio command.

And it has to be trained for every user. And I'm sure retrained, constantly.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
From the military standpoint this is already obsolete technology.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This isn't new technology.

My wife has been using this on me for years....or so she thinks

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

You might want to skip on hooking it up to animals.

Try reading "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell. Being able to speak with animals may cause us all to die of starvation.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That thing would be useless on me, it would just be a string of expletives and the word 'Bourbon' strewn into the mix.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Well, no more need to "jack in" to the computer. The computer just reads your mind. Johnny Neumonic out, minority report is the new norm.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

This technology already exists, albeit in an electrochemical format.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Human minds giving mental commands to machines creates the world of "Forbidden Planet".
Doctor Mobius found out the hard way about that on/off switch thing.

And of course so did a lot of other missing people.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

So far it is only been done in the Japanese language, and it detects words just before they are spoken so I would imagine that the subject would have to be able to form words in their brain for this technology to work.

Some people (raises hand) don't usually think in words. For me it is more like Word-Picture-Color-Feeling-Word-Picture. That language-thought connection is tenuous. To actually translate a thought into words takes considerable effort.

Interesting technology though, and like most technological breakthroughs it has potential for great good or evil. One more tick-tock on the clock toward The Singularity though, for better or for worse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join