It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The older mind verses youth in media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Music is an odd category for me, I don't listen to enough of it in my everyday life to make such a comparison.

As for today's comedy, lot's of it feels stupid to be stupid with no redeeming qualities, even the greatest of stupid comedy writers is falling to this pattern. I don't like stupid comedies but that's what most are these days.

Take Adam Sandler and movies like 50 first dates. Totally ridiculous stupid comedy style yet still had a point and had me in tears at the end. Now he's just not pulling that off anymore. He's really the only one who even could make a stupid comedy heart wrenching and emotionally worthwhile. He's not even doing that anymore.

I hate stupid for stupid sake.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Take Adam Sandler...

I would love to take Adam Sandler...

...and throw him off the George Washington Bridge.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Adam Sandler is a really poor choice to bring up when talking about modern comedy... He's always been a one trick pony and once he outgrew that trick, he just stopped being funny. Though you are right that he mostly just phones in his comedies these days.

What about the likes of Amy Schumer? Or Key and Peele? or Jon Stewart?

Heck if we are talking about stupid (silly) comedy, what about Zack Galafanakis?
edit on 6-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yes.

Heck if we are talking about stupid (silly) comedy, what about Zack Galafanakis?

No.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't watch a lot, don't know who many of them are, but Jon Stewart is awesome.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ford did great, I guess, not even he could make his last scene acceptable to me... It just didn't feel believable to me.

See this is what I mean, so many people love Finn and thinks he did great, I thought he sucked, like really really bad. Why is my perception of his character and acting so far off everyone elses? He just feels so obviously bad to me? How can my perceptions be so different than everyone elses?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yes.

No.

Well he is silly comedy, if you don't like that kind of comedy I can see why you wouldn't like him. I prefer more intelligent comedy myself (my favorite form of comedy is satire), but I don't mind indulging in good silly comedy from time to time.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
SPOILERS.

Ford did great, I guess, not even he could make his last scene acceptable to me... It just didn't feel believable to me.

I thought it worked well. The obvious parallel was Ben/Luke and now it is Han/Rey. Plus Ford wanted this to happen in the original trilogy so I found it fitting.

See this is what I mean, so many people love Finn and thinks he did great, I thought he sucked, like really really bad. Why is my perception of his character and acting so far off everyone elses? He just feels so obviously bad to me? How can my perceptions be so different than everyone elses?

Not sure. I think maybe since you did not enjoy the film everything about it is going to irk you.

edit on 6-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I especially like Key and Peele. They are REALLY funny. Two dorky black guys who don't rely on edgy, urban comedy to get by. It's refreshing.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Well he is silly comedy, if you don't like that kind of comedy I can see why you wouldn't like him. I prefer more intelligent comedy myself (my favorite form of comedy is satire), but I don't mind indulging in good silly comedy from time to time.

Same, although when he is given a solid script to work with, The Hangover, he was very good.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Same, although when he is given a solid script to work with, The Hangover, he was very good.

Exactly, and that is what I'm talking about. It's just a shame the studios decided to remake that movie twice more...

link   

The way Han wanted it to happen was literary genius, the way it happened here felt forced and cliche.

link   

I especially like Key and Peele. They are REALLY funny. Two dorky black guys who don't rely on edgy, urban comedy to get by. It's refreshing.

Like an updated In Living Color without the heavy urban flavor.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
SPOILERS

The way Han wanted it to happen was literary genius, the way it happened here felt forced and cliche.

I thought the premise worked well, Kylo Ren needed his father to help push him towards the Dark Side, unwittingly of course, since he was drawn to the Light and it shows his conflicted nature in the process of transitioning from one side to the other and possibly back.

edit on 6-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

As a filmmaker, producer/director, casting director, SAG/AFTRA actor, I see all ages of actors. Some have studied their craft and are competent. Some think their looks will be enough; some people are natural actors but very few.
And some of those pretty people should just look for another way to make a living.

“The entertainment business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
thanks HST

Heres a thought, make your own movies. It's a table top enterprise now with digital filmmaking available to everyone.

start with this.....

www.celtx.com...

tell your story.....btw I'm always looking for good material.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think part of the problem was the character development felt too rushed.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Eh this was a bad topic, I'm no good at talking cinema.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Are you more used to expository dialogue as the new Star Wars did not have much of this? The plot was revealed more by showing then telling.

edit on 6-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

It didn't show enough to make the connections have real feeling that they were trying to show. I think it's a Star Wars issue and an actor age issue. This movie was in serious need of flashbacks. We have no idea what so ever what their relationship with their son was like and thus no way to really feel that loss other than, he's his son.
edit on 1/6/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/6/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
SPOILERS

That is what I meant, flashbacks are expository, the only had the one and tried not to force the plot down your throat.

Also, do you need a flashback to show you that parents love their child? They made the fact that it was devastating for them evident by the implied plot point that they had not seen each other in some time and that the reason they split up was due to Ben going to the Dark Side.

edit on 6-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

<< 1    3  4 >>

join