It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: 200Plus

and here's a thread I made last summer detailing the statistics that back up the previous two posts...

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

Here's an elephant in the room for you - those stats are only based on clearance rates.

Clearance rates on crimes are not very good - less than half for most. Cleared means 'solved' essentially.

Violent crimes: 1,142,108
...Cleared: 47.1 %
......Murders: 13,242
.........Cleared: 66.6 %
......Rape: 76,276
.........Cleared: 41.2 %
......Robbery: 352,125
.........Cleared: 28.2 %
......Assault: 700,465
.........Cleared: 56.8 %
Property Crimes: 8,229,516
...Cleared: 18.6 %
......Burglary: 1,957,825
.........Cleared: 12.5 %
......Larceny: 5,557,560
.........Cleared: 21.5 %
......Vehicle theft: 714,131
.........Cleared: 12.4 %
......Arson: 53,852
.........Cleared: 18.5 %

Yet you want to use statistics to say something meaningful on that?
edit on 11Fri, 01 Jan 2016 11:06:00 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

How about a study of unjustified shootings? Why does nobody ever do THAT study? I don't care what the percentage of white to black it is. If the shooting is justified who cares the stats. Here's a thought. If more blacks by percentage are killed justifiably than whites, STATISTICS tell me blacks commit more crime than whites.

It's really easy to spin a stat.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver
But are young black men or other minorities statistically more likely to be involved in crimes which would lead to more encounters with police? I am not saying they are it just seems to be a possibility. Correlation = causation ??

What use are the statistics when less than half of all crimes are ever solved?

A third of murders aren't solved. That's the highest-profile and most-solved type of crime. Think about that.

Some property theft clearance rates (solved cases) are below 20%.

Well, of course police are to incompetent to solve the majority of real crimes.

There to busy profiling and shooting black teenagers, or harassing us white dudes who look like we may have a few grams of weed on us... there absolutely useless at best and paranoid psychotic murderers at worst.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: 200Plus

and here's a thread I made last summer detailing the statistics that back up the previous two posts...

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

Think about your statistics when you take into account Tamir Rice. Then you know what you can do with those statistics.

I would have shot him too. Guns are NOT toys, even when they are toys. Don't blame the cops for reacting, blame the parents for not teaching their kid better.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

But are young black men or other minorities statistically more likely to be involved in crimes which would lead to more encounters with police? I am not saying they are it just seems to be a possibility. Correlation = causation ??

Perhaps it might be less related to being involved with a crime and possibly more related on how to act when a cop has a gun pointed at you.

I believe their is enough blame to go around for both the cops overacting and the assailant not using common sense when having a gun pointed at them.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

No its not. Only racists drum up things that racism dictates. There are no statistics with respectable scopes and sample size to suggest that racism is even 1% as big as the media claims. Here's one:

emsnews.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Perhaps it might be less related to being involved with a crime and possibly more related on how to act when a cop has a gun pointed at you.

I believe their is enough blame to go around for both the cops overacting and the assailant not using common sense when having a gun pointed at them.

Exactly...which has nothing to do with race lol. Thanks

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: butcherguy

Show me any instance where a white 12 year old child playing with a toy gun in a playground has had a few rounds fired into him after seconds of the police arriving... to only then have the police cleared of any wrong doing?

Show me an instance of that happening to a white kid, then your comment might have some substance... Until then, its fair to assume that racism dictates the justice system in the US.

This is better:
Daily Mail
Teenager answers the door at his home.
He has a wii controller in his hand.
Cop shot and killed him.
No one having a # fit over his death.... he isn't black.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

That is an interesting point.

How about this, though: are the "crimes" minorities involved in actually crimes? Or was part of their culture criminalized as an overt act of legislative racism?

The rationalization for the stat is not what matters. What matters is what got us there to begin with. There isn't a rational explanation for why the smaller part of our population tends to suffer the highest incarceration and legally punitive action. And when I look at the types of things that are made illegal, it becomes clear: we arrest people and imprison them for trying to find relief from the hell of a life that they are born into.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Show me any instance where a white 12 year old child playing with a toy gun in a playground has had a few rounds fired into him after seconds of the police arriving... to only then have the police cleared of any wrong doing?

Show me an instance of that happening to a white kid, then your comment might have some substance... Until then, its fair to assume that racism dictates the justice system in the US.

This is better:
Daily Mail
Cop shot and killed him.

I remember that case. There are many like it.

Maybe there should be outrage?

Lead the charge.
edit on 11Fri, 01 Jan 2016 11:55:15 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

That is because a 99% of these men are involved in criminal activities. Criminals should fear the Police but law abiding respectful people need not fear.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: butcherguy

This is better:
Daily Mail
Cop shot and killed him.

I remember that case. There are many like it.

Maybe there should be outrage?

Lead the charge.

You have a point.
There are a ton of bad shootings posted just in this forum alone.
Not all of the cases we see are bad shootings though.
We can throw race into the equation, but it doesn't help matters. The Tamir Rice shooting would not have ended differently if he had been a white kid, imo.
I was trying to show the other poster that a teenager doesn't have to even have to have a toy gun that has been altered to make it look unlike a toy (removing the orange cap from the muzzle, the only purpose of that cap is to prevent kids from being shot by a gun carrier), an oblong white game controller that in no way resembles a gun is enough to get a white teenager shot... in his own home.... with no dispatchers telling the cops that there is a man waving a gun around.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The obvious way to attempt to figure it out would be to look at what encounters led to death and why and then look for similar encounters where whites were involved.

There was one on a freeway in my area. The white guy in question led police on a chase, was stopped by spike strips got out of his car and looked to be pulling a weapon and got shot down by cops.

It was similar to many encounters we see with young black men.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

actually there are a lot of white men shot by police. But you don't hear much about it because it doesn't fit into the MSM narrative.

www.politifact.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The only difference is, as far as I can see, is that the cops don't rock up and start firing within seconds, if the suspect is white.
Apparently they didn’t get the message down in Louisiana.
Two cops (one black and one maybe black) opened fire on an unarmed white man, wounding him and killing his 6-year old son.downtrend.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

www.nydailynews.com...
edit on 1-1-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No, actually what happens is black men are more likely to be arrested for their crimes, and SENTENCED - often times because black men are MORE LIKELY to not be able to affoard bail, lawyer fees, or other privilages that white people are MORE LIKELY to have access to.

And a whole range of other social injustices. This is white most cold-casese that get solved statistically end up with the arrest of a white male.

you can fact check anything I've said, it's all true.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

That is because a 99% of these men are involved in criminal activities. Criminals should fear the Police but law abiding respectful people need not fear.

99% of these men are involved? You are saying 99% of black men are criminal? Where the # is the admin when you need him.

edit on 1-1-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It has happened plenty of times to white kids, especially when they paint over or remove the orange safety tip.

(CNN) -- A sheriff's deputy shot a 15-year-old he believed was armed with a 9 mm handgun at a Florida middle school Friday only to learn later that the weapon was a modified pellet gun, the Seminole County sheriff said. The student is on "advanced life support" at Orlando Regional Medical Center, Sheriff Don Eslinger said, adding, "It was a terrible situation." Eslinger said that the student, Christopher David Penley, painted the brightly colored tip of the pellet gun black to make it look like a real gun. The sheriff's deputy was a member of the SWAT team and shot the eighth-grader only after the student raised the gun and threatened officers, Eslinger said.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theySeeme

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

99% of these men are involved? You are saying 99% of black men are criminal? Where the # is the admin when you need him.

99% of the blacks in the statistic were involved in something. It's a perquisites to being shot by a cop...you know...to get the cops called on you

You really read what he wrote and got "99% of ALL BLACK MEN" are criminals? You people and your racist perspectives lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join