It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican marijuana farmers see profits tumble as U.S. loosens laws

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

He started growing marijuana as a teenager and for four decades earned a modest living from his tiny plot tucked at the base of these rugged mountains of western Mexico.

He proudly shows off his illegal plants, waist-high and fragrant, strategically hidden from view by rows of corn and nearly ready to be harvested.

"I've always liked this business, producing marijuana," the 50-year-old farmer said wistfully. He had decided that this season's crop would be his last.

This is music to my ears and an obvious result legalizing marijuana. The comparison of the war on drugs to the alcohol prohibition has been argued to death and now we are seeing the results of more states legalizing weed for both medical and recreational use. The gov't is also aware of this yet still keeps marijuana classed at schedule 1, above heroin and coke. So what's their agenda here because clearly there is one, that or they're really just as stupid as we say they are.

What states will be legalizing it next?

The Next 11 States to Legalize Marijuana'

1. Massachusetts
2. Nevada
3. California
4. New York
5. Vermont
6. Minnesota
7. Connecticut
8. Maryland
9. Rhode Island
10. Maine
11. Delaware

I think it's time for the world to follow in Portugal's footsteps in the war on drugs.

Drug policy of Portugal

The drug policy of Portugal was put in place in 2000, and was legally effective from July 2001. The new law maintained the status of illegality for using or possessing any drug for personal use without authorization. However, the offense was changed from a criminal one, with prison a possible punishment, to an administrative one if the amount possessed was no more than ten days' supply of that substance.[1]

In April 2009, the Cato Institute published a comprehensive case study of the decriminalization of drugs in Portugal.[2] Empirical data from that report indicate that decriminalization has had no adverse effect on drug usage rates. However, drug-related pathologies - such as sexually transmitted diseases and deaths due to drug usage - have decreased dramatically.[2][3][4] In 1999, Portugal had the highest rate of HIV amongst injecting drug users in the European Union.

The number of newly diagnosed HIV cases among drug users has decreased to 13.4 cases per million in 2009 but that is still high above the European average of 2.85 cases per million.[1] There were 2000 new cases a year, in a country of 10 million people. 45% of HI reported AIDS cases recorded in 1997 originated among IV drug users,[5] so targeting drug use was seen as an effective avenue of HIV prevention. The number of heroin users was estimated to be between 50,000 and 100,000 at the end of the 1990s.[6] This led to the adoption of The National Strategy for the Fight Against Drugs in 1999. A vast expansion of harm reduction efforts, doubling the investment of public funds in drug treatment and drug prevention services, and changing the legal framework dealing with minor drug offenses were the main elements of the policy thrust.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Who would have thought? Criminalizing a commodity with a demand creates crime. There will always be suppliers.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hello cause I would like you to meet effect.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Who would have thought? Criminalizing a commodity with a demand creates crime. There will always be suppliers.

I agree. All it serves is to cause too much chaos with drug cartels, gangs, and whoever capitalizes on selling drugs. Also, I think there are better alternatives to helping people get off drugs and learn about their negative affects on the human body then sending them to jail.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I live in the Emerald Triangle area.I think we have more Escalades on 20" spinners per capita than Hollywood.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Did it ever occur to you that the only reason that The Man wants to legalize, regulate, and tax, my weed is because His import demand has declined lately? I will oppose forever.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

Oh yes you do. The amount of marijuana grown there is ridiculous!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

The man? You mean the states because the main man, the federal govt, isn't about that legalization life.

A year after Congress voted to end war on medical pot, raids continue in California
edit on 30-12-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I would pay a yearly license to grow
Max five plants per home
It will be kept in a cage under lock and key
The police have the power to inspect
What I have
Any time of the day
If I misbehave or violent in anyway
Or supply to kids
I loose my license and my crop

Treat it like gun laws

I am sure no one will misbehave
And loose there license

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Perhaps the U.S. can make things right and send them some more guns like 'Fast & Furious'? and it can be just like the movie franchise and every time We send more guns, We can add numbers after so this would in effect be Fast & Furious II- The Next Phase or some other catchy name..

Or We can do what We did in Afghanistan. In 2001 when The Taliban ran things the Afghans supplied only 7% of the world's opium, now since there has been a "war" that number has climbed to 86%+.

Why worry about cannabis when the majority are now hooked on heroin? Just the "way" they want it. They make the money on the sales AND the incarceration of those that don't die first...

Any heroin abuse in Your neighborhood? Do the folks that get busted go to the "Private Jail"?

Wakie Wakie...

namaste

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The legalization of marijuana is bad for the cartel.

The legalization of marijuana is bad for the C.I.A.

The legalization of marijuana is bad for the religious folks and big Pharma.

The only ones that it is good for are the consumers and local governments!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: piney
I would pay a yearly license to grow
Max five plants per home
It will be kept in a cage under lock and key
The police have the power to inspect
What I have
Any time of the day
If I misbehave or violent in anyway
Or supply to kids
I loose my license and my crop

Treat it like gun laws

I am sure no one will misbehave
And loose there license

Well, here's what I'd do.

If ever I were to become famous, and they ask me to do an EZ-ON commercial, not only would I do it,
I'd do it for free!.

Give. Them. Nothing.

# 563
edit on 31-12-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: I know I shouldn't say this...but I enjoy my own brownies...

edit on 31-12-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Almost like the USA tried it before.......o wait!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

What are you gonna do when those marijuana companies start getting shot or blown up by cartels that are losing money over this legalization? Or when they find a more potent drug and get more people hooked on something worse so they can keep their profit rolling in?

I've mentioned this before, I don't think weed should be legalized, but I don't think the fine should be jail time or anymore expensive than "Open Container" or a seat belt ticket if you're pulled over and have weed on you.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

And a what right do you have to dictate to others what they do with there body?

I am not a MJ user and I don’t even drink (beyond social occasions). But I won’t be a self righteous twat and tell others what they do or enforce my morals and standards on others.

Your no diffrent from the progressives. You want a nanny state to tell people what to do.

Your freedom ends where mine begins.
A pot smoker does not hurt you more than a drinker...in fact a drinkers more likely to hurt you.

Possession for all drugs should be legal.

A crime should only be a acrime if it hurts another.

Sure jail those who smoke weed and drive like you do those that drink and drive.
But in there own home? Its none of your buisness.

Now dealing? Lock them up for life. Dealers are the scum.
edit on 31-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Possession for all drugs should be legal.

Now dealing? Lock them up for life. Dealers are the scum.

That doesn't really make sense. A dealer isn't automatically a scum as I don't see any difference between him a liquor store owner.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Dang man, I'm not sure what you read and interpreted from my post, but it was nothing to do with in home drugs. All I said is that if you're caught with weed in your vehicle the charge should be no more than a seat belt ticket ($50 for first offense) or open container. People have smoked weed and carried themselves since it was first smoked. I wasn't legal then, shouldn't be legal now minus being prescribed. If you can't handle it, you'll be caught, the same as drinking. Alcohol is bad enough, no sense, in my opinion, in making something else the impairs you, legal.

As far as being home, I couldn't care less what people do. What people do behind closed doors is their own business.

Making all drugs legal will never happen.

Edit: Lol, *It wasn't, not I wasn't... Not changing it up there because it's a good funny.
edit on 31-12-2015 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator
It depends who they in business with and the quality of product.

If a "dealer" is in legitimate business, pays tax and abides by QC standards then fine.

If they are part of a gang or cartel and selling of dangerous products then they are harming people and society.

A medical cannabis store would not be classed as a dealer to me.

A guy selling meth on the street corner is.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Then your no different than a progressive who wants his own form of nanny state.

Why should government be the one to tell us what we can do or not do with our own bodies?

And it was only make illegal half way through the 20th century.

Only time fines should come in is if your driving or operating machinery under the influence.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Agreed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join